The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Rifletom

Mossberg 500 ported barrel.

Asked about this on another forum and pretty well got blasted for thinking of buying a 12 ga with ported barrels. Now, I'm not all that keen on pros and cons on this, so, thought I'd ask here. Just getting back into shotguns, a little for trap, but, mostly for upland birds. I have two 20ga guns, however, I live in So-Cal, so pretty damn soon we'll be regulated to non-lead only. Crap! so, I figured a 12ga would up the pellet count. I guess my question is: Do the ports have any negatives or pluses? In the field, probably not, but, what about at the trap range? They gonna give me the stink eye, or non issue? Thanks guy. And its good to be back here. Been awhile.
Old March 10, 2016, 03:08 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

I have ported barrels on a Browning o/u skeet model. Most think they are a marketing gimmick for a Clays gun, since barrel pressures aren't as high as a rifle. I never considered whether they make a real difference shooting heavier loads such as buck shot or slugs. Especially 3.5 inchers.
Old March 10, 2016, 07:44 PM   #3
FITASC

Porting does not add any value to the gun nor does it help with recoil. Trap ranges have folks shooting fairly close together so the side noise is noticeable. If you are forced to use some form of non-tox for all hunting, then your 12 will have the best selection of ammo.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2016, 01:45 PM   #4
zippy13

Unlike my buddy FITASC, I prefer porting and have eleven barrels that have been given the treatment. The gasses that exit the ports don't go out the muzzle -- you can draw your own conclusions. As far as the noise is concerned: If I wanted quiet, I would have taken up darts.

The only down side, with porting, I contend with is fouling. Plastic from the wad column can build up in the holes. An appropriate punch is handy when cleaning.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Orion6

There are mixed opinions on it out there. For the average shooter (especially in hunting situations) it's probably not a necessary thing.

I got lucky and found a 28" barrel that wasn't ported but my 24" turkey barrel is (no choice in the matter). I don't really notice a difference in anything recoil or pattern-wise but hey, each to his own.

I think it's probably more marketing than anything else on the Mossberg guns. And I'm truly a Mossberg guy. It's the only shotgun I own - by choice.
Old March 12, 2016, 11:14 AM   #6
243winxb

Porting

Helps on my Mossberg slug gun. Mag na port pro port on Citori 3" mag, helps with quick second shots, but not really needed for hunting or trap/skeep. I would not port my GD 6 if i had to do it over. Works better on 44 mag handguns.
Old March 12, 2016, 12:22 PM   #7
Virginian

Porting is a marketing gimmick that Browning and Mossberg both decided to light on. Because of the much, much lower pressures in shotgun barrels than in high power rifles or pistols at the location of the ports, the results are greatly diminished. They don't help anything, they add to cleaning difficulty, and they increase the noise, but that's moot for target shooting. Many people - me included - will not let someone shoot a ported barrel near their dogs.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:35 PM   #8
Rifletom

Virginian,
You make a good point regarding the dogs. I hadn't thought about that. The guy I go bird hunting with no longer has a dog, so I guess I'm good there. Had I known more about the ports, perhaps I would have chosen differently. I simply went with the thought that so many shooters have the 500, it probably didn't make much difference. These are good things to know. I do not shotgun as much as a lot of others probably do, so, I believe the 500 will work ok for me.
Old March 13, 2016, 01:12 AM   #9
BigJimP

I like ported barrels - they reduce muzzle jump so between shots it's easier to find that 2nd bird. They do not reduce recoil.

Ported guns are noisier to shooters beside you on trap firing line - especially on a hard left or right bird.../ it's not usually a factor in field on upland birds - I wouldn't take a shot on a bird if I was close to a dog or another shooter -- but I could see a problem in a duck blind where shooters are close - no issue for skeet or sporting clays...

All of my 12 and 20 gages are ported .... Benelli & Browning. .../ including my primary trap gun Browning XT .....32" O/U.

Pipe cleaners clean them easily....

Last edited by BigJimP; March 13, 2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old March 13, 2016, 01:24 AM   #10
TMD

Quote:
In the field, probably not, but, what about at the trap range? They gonna give me the stink eye, or non issue?
For the ported barrel no.
For using a Mossberg on a trap range, most definitely.
Old March 13, 2016, 08:24 AM   #11
Rifletom