The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 24, 1999, 11:26 PM   #1
Jeff White

Today I received Change 6 to TM 9-1005-319-23&P on the M16A2 Rifle and the M4 and M4A1 carbine. It also addresses two other rifles, the M16A3 and M16A4. The M16A3 is apparently just like the A2 except it is capable of full auto fire. The M16A4 is just like the A2 except that it has a flattop upper with removable carry handle, it's 3 round burst only. I have seen both weapons mentioned in official publications (including a blurb in an old Infantry magazine that said the A3 was a flattop).

Has anyone (Michael, Gary) actually seen one, or know who they have been fielded too. I thought this was interestng since we've had a seperate thread for the past few days on burst and full auto.

Jeff
Old February 26, 1999, 05:59 PM   #2
Mike Spight

Jeff: I'll check early next week w/guy I work with here at Ft. Leavenworth. He spent most of his career in 75th Rgr Regt and may have some knowledge of those variants...I know I never saw them during the years I spent at Ft. Bragg. Will get back to you.
Old March 1, 1999, 12:30 PM   #3
Mike Spight

Jeff: Spoke w/individual I work w/here at Ft. Leavenworth...he spent most of his career in 75th Inf Regt (RANGER)...He was familiar w/the A4 prototype as the Regt had played around w/it and apparently used it quite a bit...according to him, the carrying handle was removable/movable and the flat top was set to accept various milspec or civilian mounts for a variety of civilian optical devices. He doesn't know anything about an A3 w/full auto capability. Question, did the A3 have full auto AND 3rd burst capability? I wasn't sure from your description...if it was just full auto, then it would seem to be an A1 or just a M16. Hope this helps out.

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited March 01, 1999).]
Old March 1, 1999, 08:23 PM   #4
Daren Thompson

I think the A3 is like an A2 just with full auto no burst. The A1 has a smaller diameter barrel, triangular handgaurds, differnt flash hider and for some reason to me just does not look as good of quality as the A2 series and up
Just my $.02
Later
Daren
Old March 1, 1999, 09:50 PM   #5
Jeff White

Mike,
According to the TM all parts on the A2 and A3 are the same except the A3 has an A1 trigger group.

I was told that the A3 was produced in limited quantities for the Navy. I don't know how true that is though.

Thanks for the info on the A4. The only other official reference to it I've seen was in the -10 for the M68 Aimpoint sight.

Jeff
Old March 3, 1999, 03:16 PM   #6
Kodiac

I saw the A-4 being fired at Malone 18 Range at the Infantry Training Center, Ft. Benning, GA.
Wasn't impressed. All in all they are just M-16... over 20 years old now with the Army. They need to feild HK G36's if they want anything other than a glance from me...

------------------

Resistance is Futile