The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Oliver Sudden

1849 at 25 yards

Tried this little fellow out at 25 yards and with lite loads it grouped but a full chamber blew the group. Five with the line on the hole is with 10 grains of 3fg.
Old May 21, 2017, 05:50 PM   #2
AKexpat

That is a very nice looking pistol with very good wood, sir.

If you don't mind I am going to make some remarks and I hope you don't take them as derogatory.

That is a replica Colt 1848 Pocket pistol with a squareback TG. The original 1849 Colt Pocket pistols rarely had a SB TG and had better variations.

I am not able to see the date code with your pics but it appears to begin with an X which would denote a 1960's manufacturer date.

Looking at the pic of your pistol, it seems to be an ASM insofar as the trigger guard and the load lever pivot. It also has the short barrel forcing cone and the short load aperture which is all 1848 Pocket.

Here is my Replica Arms El Paso Texas repro 1848 Pocket .31. You compare yours with mine.

I am not getting into a pissing match with you, believe me. I just want to learn.

Anything you can supply will help. I am just trying to learn about the old replicas.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 21, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Hawg

Those would both be 1848 baby dragoons.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Oliver Sudden

Akexpac, none taken. The 1848 colt had ovule cylinder cuts so I call this one a 49 but it's just a replica so details will vary. This pistol has no marking other then Italy, proofs, caliber 31 and XXVI. It surely isn't of Colt quality even after my considerable re fitting and refinishing. This gun had no forcing cone and although it works OK now for me it's mostly for looking at. Your pistol does appear to be the same as mine and I wonder does it shoot well? Mine had the chambers much smaller then the groove size of the barrel. I reworked it so it now is .002 larger then the barrel grooves. Also after correcting the arbor fit I had to make a new wedge for it. Working on these is just sport to me but it does allow good conversation.
Old May 23, 2017, 08:34 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would say your loads are too light, but there may be other factors if heavier loads do worse. FWIW, many repros have rifling that is too shallow to stabilize the bullets; they need the largest bullet available for the caliber and a full charge.

Jim
Old May 24, 2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Smokin'Joe

I use 00 buckshot in my ASM Wells Fargo. 00 buckshot measures .330"
Old May 24, 2017, 04:29 PM   #7
99whip

Oliver,

Just out of curiosity, what was your point of aim on that target? Bullseye, bottom black ring, bottom of the target, etc.

I shoot my uberti pocket models at a closer range than 25 yards, but am pleased with the way they shoot using 10 grains of 3f. I also use a conical bullet cast from an original pocket model mold. At one point I had some cast round ball that I got from a popular online source, those seemed all over the place regarding accuracy. Both the round ball and conicals I've cast from the original mold are more accurate, they weigh more and have a larger diameter.

btw, AKexpat - great looking piece..yours too Oliver. Would love to have a pocket with a 6 inch barrel.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Oliver Sudden

A bit more info for anyone interested in getting one to shoot. This pistol is the one I picked up for $60 a few years ago. It was pretty rough and has no brand or importers name on it and works if you cycle it slowly. I did fix the arbor, making new grips and few things before refinishing it. Seemed I couldn't hurt it so down to the "Den of Iniquities" we go. Removing the barrel for inspection I first found that it had no forcing cone but pretty good rifling and good crown. A slight forcing cone was cut and the bore was cleaned then coated with the Cabelas lube. The nipples are tiny and treaded 12/24 tpi with a generous flash hole size. The chambers looked OK but appeared to be smaller then the groove size of the barrel. Slugging the bore came out to .318" and the chambers were .309" so basic revolver lore says that it won't shoot! I made the piloted reamer in the photo and recut them to .320" before testing. Point of aim was a six o'clock hold on the black from the bench. Shooting was with OO buck at 25 yards and the first five is the ones with the line in them. That was with 10 grains of 3fg lubed over with the same Cabelas lube. Next five was with 14 grains and they opened up a lot and would raise the hammer so the caps fell back in the action. At this point I found the barrel was leaded. 12 buck shot is all the shot shell held so the days shoot is over. So were did this get me? If better nipples and higher rear sight with a bit of windage could be added with proper size chambers I believe there's a good chance that a better shooter could expect to do well with a 31 calibre pistol at 25 yards. 
Old May 24, 2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Hawg

You might do better and get less leading with pure lead not to mention easier loading.