The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2016, 03:21 PM   #1
bspillman

Please educate me on the Stoeger Cougar 9mm.

Any one ccw this gun? How reliable has it been? Mags parts accessories easy to come by? Thanks.
Old November 7, 2016, 04:08 PM   #2
pblanc

I have a Stoeger Cougar but it is chambered in .45 ACP. It has been absolutely reliable thus far with a variety of ammo, mostly 230 grain FMJ. Mine is the common 8045F model.

I also have two Beretta Cougars one of which is chambered in 9mm Luger. These are both mini-Cougars with a shortened grip and magazine but the same slide/barrel assembly. My 9mm Cougar 8000 is a D model (double action only) with spurless hammer. My other Beretta mini-Cougar is an 8040F model chambered in .40 S&W, with the safety/decocker slide-mounted lever common to all F models.

The .40 S&W Cougar has also been completely reliable. My 9mm has had some failures to feed but these have all been with somewhat underpowered 115 grain ammo.

The Cougars have a reputation for wanting to be run somewhat wet. Although the consensus is not unanimous, many Cougar owners use grease on the central block, barrel locking lugs, and the bearing surfaces that the barrel rotates on. All of the Cougars tend to be quite soft-shooting.

I have found that the Fobus Evolution roto-holster made for the Beretta PX4 Storm works fine for my Cougars. Magazines can be tricky to find and are pricey.
Old November 7, 2016, 04:18 PM   #3
jglsprings

I've owned 40/45 and the 9mm. Great guns, soft shooters. Really are full size guns (even the small ones).

Only reason I got rid of them was they are too large for easy carry.

Run well lubed - they don't like to run dry.

Commas save lives...
Old November 7, 2016, 04:42 PM   #4
ftttu

I have always heard that the Beretta and Stoeger models were similar in performance and quality. I purchased an 8040D shortly after its release in '94, and I carried it on duty for a while with no problems. Only reason I got rid of it is because I liked to experience other makes and models. I sold it to a fellow officer about 20 years ago, and I'd love to get it back if he'd sell to me.

There are other pistols out there that I'd get over a new Cougar, but again, if my buddy offered up my old Cougar to me, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Old November 7, 2016, 04:57 PM   #5
shaunpain

Once upon a time I owned a Cougar 8040G and it was a darn fine gun. I didn't sell or trade it away, it was stolen during a robbery. I miss it every day. I've heard the Stoegers are great guns and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Old November 7, 2016, 05:46 PM   #6
pblanc

A further note: although the finish is slightly different, I really see no differences in fit and function between my Stoeger Cougar and my two Beretta Cougars.

The Cougar F models (safety/decocker) can quite easily be converted to G models (decocker only) if that is what you prefer. There is a thread over on the beretta forum dot net that shows you exactly how to do that.
Old November 7, 2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Cyanide971

I've had several of them throughout the years and nary a problem at all. Very soft shooting and as accurate as I choose to be. Absolutely love 'em and to echo what others have said, they like to run wet. Started with a Stoeger 8040F, then later on snagged a Beretta 8000 D. Unfortunately I had to get rid of both of those, but now I have my second 8000 D and another Stoeger-branded model, this time a Compact 8000 LT w/rail (actually have been carrying this one the last month now).

I use a leather Winthrop IWB holster made for the PX4 Compact, which pretty much fits perfectly. Carries comfortably all day from getting up and dressed until I go to bed, even though it's slightly heavier and larger than what many people prefer. Love mine!
Old November 7, 2016, 11:03 PM   #8
tahunua001

if I recall correctly, Stoeger is basically a budget brand of beretta. the Cougar seems to bear a striking resemblence to the beretta PX2, but with different grip texturing and more angular slide.

I was actually eyeballing one at my lgs the other day. for $350 it's pretty tempting, even for a guy that does not like DA/SA
Old November 8, 2016, 11:39 AM   #9
pblanc

I wouldn't call Stoeger a budget brand of Beretta. Beretta Holding owns a number of international arms manufacturers including Benelli, Beretta USA, and Stoeger Silah Sanayi in Istanbul Turkey.

The Beretta Cougar was introduced by Beretta as a somewhat more easily carried and concealed version of the 92 series. It had the misfortune of being introduced the same year that Bill Clinton signed the assault weapons ban that also limited magazine capacity to 10 rounds maximum.

The 9mm Beretta Cougar 8000 was/is a fairly sizable and heavy weapon despite its shorter slide and barrel so a 10 round magazine limit really worked against it. The ban even hurt the .40 S&W version of the Cougar which was designed to carry 11 rds. Also by 1994 the move to polymer-frame pistols was in full swing. Both of these factors hurt the Cougar. Although it was picked up for a time by some law enforcement agencies (including the LAPD) the Cougar did not sell as well as Beretta had hoped, and it was clear that they needed to bring out a polymer-framed pistol to remain competitive.

So Beretta brought out the PX4 Storm which (in its full-size and compact versions) has the same rotary barrel breech locking mechanism as the Cougar and they sent all the Cougar tooling to Turkey where production costs were much less than in Italy or the USA.
Old November 9, 2016, 10:46 PM   #10
hubris

I've owned one (compact 9) for about five years. It weighs about 32 oz., so you need a good belt. Mine has been 100% except for Federal ammo. I carry it owb in a Sherpa in cool/cold weather.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:15 AM   #11
dogngun

Looking for some long-term cougar owner info...

I bought one of these very reliable pistols used about 5 years ago, and managed to find 2 spare mags...I still like it very much, and have no plan to sell it, but I don't shoot it often.
I would like long-term owners who DO shoot the Cougar often to tell me about it's reliability and performance under regular use.
I have had a little experience with handguns - since about 1971 - and I plan on keeping my Stoeger Cougar as long as I'm breathing.
Just curious...thank you in advance.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:14 AM   #12
JoeSixpack

as pblanc pointed out the Stoeger is built on the same tooling as it was when it was made under Beretta, They discontinued it under the Beretta brand and started selling it under Stoeger (Turkey mfg) which they own.

The cougar is a nice gun, I've got a 9mm (8000 model) and the fit and finish is excellent.

Magazines can be a pain to find and costly when you do.
The bodies are exactly the same as a Beretta 92 mag the only difference is the mag catch notch.

On a Cougar the notch is higher up on the body.. You can insert a Cougar mag in a 92 and it will lock in place before it's fully inserted.. and if you do the reverse with a 92 mag it just never locks in place.

The solution is to just cut a new notch in the body.. it's not difficult with a dremel tool, barely cut the slot, then finish up with needle files.
It does not take long, most important thing is making sure your measurements are correct before you make the cut.

You can also do this with Taurus 92 mags, in fact if you do it to Taurus mags you can use them in both guns cause the Cougar slot is small enough that the bigger Taurus catch will just glide past it.

Mec-gar does not make mags for the Cougar, what a pitty, so if you want 18rnd mags you'll have to convert them your self.

I don't recall who but there use to be a guy on the Beretta forum that would convert mags for a fee, He had a jig so I hear the work was very professional.. but you can do it your self free hand with the pre mentioned tools.