The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 24, 2014, 10:55 PM   #1
HitmanNumber86

My first mosin. Failure to eject.

I recently picked up an Izchvek 91/30. I decided to refinish the stock, 'cus there was varnish everywhere. While I was refinishing I had plenty of time to fiddle (PTO takes time to dry). Now that I finally got it all together, the rounds fail to eject.

Most often the rounds get caught with the rim stuck between the extractor and the ejector, past the ejector shoulder, with the case pressing against the port. It takes little pressure to remove. The ejector shoulder looks fine, not very much wear at all. Pulled slowly, the ejector catches, and the round pops out lazily onto the floor. Pulled quickly, the round bounces of the edge of the port and goes left.

I've tried bending the inturruptor dozens of times, but I get the same result. Sometimes it starts to work right, then when I place it in the stock, and the spring is depressed on the way in, it goes to crap again. I've tried different brands of ammo (steel and brass), and they all perform the same way.

Before I took it apart, it was ejecting rounds across the room. The harder I pulled, the faster the round came out. Now it's crap, and all I did was take it apart, and put it back together. I even tried looking up photos to make sure the ejector was in right. Theres no cosmoline anywhere, and it's got enough oil to deep fry Turkey.

I am so lost!!!! Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old September 25, 2014, 12:22 AM   #2
Model12Win

Did you screw in all the screws tight? I'd check to see if there are any wood chips or something interfearing with the parts too.
Old September 25, 2014, 12:34 AM   #3
HitmanNumber86

I've been cranking them down out of frustration. I'm surprised I haven't stripped any yet.

I cleaned the gun seperate from the stock, so the only loose wood is the stuff scraping off the stock from the inturrupto rubbing against it as it's set. It doesn't seem to be contacting when it's fully seated, though.

The ejector is floating freely without the inturruptor in place, no cosmo, no metal flakes, no wood.

I'm considering twisting the inturruptor, but I really don't want mag problems as well.
Old September 25, 2014, 06:40 AM   #4
tobnpr

It's hard to tell whether the stock may be rubbing the ejector without contact dye. You completely disassembled the bolt and cleaned the bolt, the extractor is working free/no cosmoline stuck behind it?

Does a round eject correctly when single fed/extracted?

Natch, if you're testing this with live ammunition, all safety rules apply
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 25, 2014, 07:10 AM   #5
madmo44mag

Had a similar problem with one of my 91/30.
When I drove the ejector back in the bolt it cracked and lost tension.
It look fine but when I knocked it back out searching for the reason I was having ejector issues it came out in two pieces.
Replaced it and never had another problem.
Old September 25, 2014, 09:50 AM   #6
HitmanNumber86

I don't have the right tools to remove the extractor, but there was hardly any cosmo on it when I got it, and I hit it with all sorts of chemicals and hot water. It's the only thing I couldn't visually inspect.

Single fed works fine, so does mag fed.

The extractor does it's job fine. I'll inspect it closer, but I can't see how it's letting a round slip past the ejector.

I remove the trigger when cycling live rounds outside the stock.
Old September 27, 2014, 11:44 AM   #7
HitmanNumber86

Update: Took it to the range last night. Empty cases were ejecting fine. Now live rounds are doing the same.

I'd still like to know if anyone else has experianced this. If I ever do work on someone elses Mosin, I'd like to avoid any awkwardness, like this.
Old September 27, 2014, 11:49 AM   #8
skizzums

you just had something stuck in there most likely, like a piece of a brass brush or steel wool shaving, paper towel whatever you were cleaning with. whatever was jammed in there was keeping the extractor just a hair open. that would be my guess.

most importantly, how'd she shoot, did you like it? glad it's fixed now, I am actually headed out to shoot mine once I get off work. don't feel bad, I was out testing mine last weekend thought I did okay, but apparently my crappy trigger job was keeping the magazine from bolting In all the way, thus keeping my aftermarket stock from being on tight. so I am excited to see how it shots today
Old September 29, 2014, 02:56 PM   #9
HitmanNumber86

I think it may have been the metal doing something weird. I'm not too shabby with an AP brush, so I have considerable doubt that it was any kind of grit. I was probably the only one in my unit who enjoyed cleaning my firearms for hours on end (got made fun of for oiling my knife).

I did like it though. It's my first full power rifle, as a civi. Shot a five inch group, standing at 25 yds. Considering it's been years, and this thing is a brick, I like the numbers. I'll try my hand at floating and bedding. Now I just have to find a range that will let me lay prone.

My girlfriend shot three shots, now she wont touch it.
Old September 29, 2014, 05:57 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

There's only one cure for that, get her a Ruger 22, or a Glenfield 60. Not expensive, and she can shoot all day. Better yet, a 380 and a permit.
Old September 30, 2014, 07:37 AM   #11
tobnpr

Quote:
My girlfriend shot three shots, now she wont touch it.
No recoil pad (unless you call steel, a pad) will do that...

Might want to get a slip-on pad, but she may already have developed a flinch from the bad experience.
www.biggorillagunworks.com