The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
x-five

Rhodium plating

It looks very nice , so share your opinions about it.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
teeroux

My wifes wedding ring sure looks nice in it. I don't know about firearms though.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

I believe rhodium has to be plated over gold plating. It's very white. Chrome would look about the same and hold up better.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Downeast

Rhodium can be plated over gold, nickel or silver. Bill's right, hard chrome would last longer (at a fraction of the cost). I plated a ton of it years ago, primarily on electrical connecters for DoD end use. We used to plate it over silver. At that point it was much more expensive than gold and exceeded $5,000/oz. It would be very expensive to plate it on a handgun and not really worth it, IMO.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

It might look nice..... But it is very expensive and there are better, and cheaper, options.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514830

Besides, why finish a stainless steel gun in rhodium? The steel is already rust and corrosion resistant.

If you are simply trying to pimp a gun, why not have some nice scroll work done instead?

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 3, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Nasty

Way soft, wears quickly. Rings have to be replated every so often

Industrial hard chrome is far superior. (Armaloy)
Old February 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Skans

Rhodium really has one industrial purpose - protection of equipment in highly corrosive environments. Unless you plan on taking your pistol around highly corrosive chemicals, it's completely worthless.

A tiny coating is also used on silver jewelry to prevent tarnishing - a form of corrosion. It is easily removed by mild buffing.

I would agree that hard chrome is far superior for guns.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8
+1k ammo

What does a "hard chroming" cost these days if you can find a place that does that locally. I'm sure there are some around me.

Just wondering, if the metal has to be prepped and then I think is dipped in a bath of (something) and then chromed.

And can any metal thing (object) be chromed?
Old February 4, 2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Use a plater that has specific experience with guns. Most local shops don't qualify.
Different metals require different plating processes.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10

Rhodium is way too soft for a gun finish.

If I gotta refinish a gun with a corrosion proof treatment, I'd much rather do it with nickel-boron or hard chrome, maybe cobalt if I wanna get "exotic".
Old February 4, 2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Downeast

Actually Rhodium as deposited is about 800 knoop hardness. I know because we had to test it.This is approximately equal to 63 Rockwell "C". Hard Chrome is typically 65-70 Rockwell "C", so Rhodium does get close to chrome hardness. As a member of the Platinum group it also has excellent corrosion resistance. The problem with it, as mentioned is it's just so damn expensive. Really not a great choice for a gun finish unless you have the money of an Arabian oil sheik or similar income.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:14 PM   #12
kozak6

Currently, it appears to be solely a hilariously silly luxury feature.

For some reason, it appears to bump firearm prices to automobile levels.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Skans

The spot price of Rhodium ($1,200) is about $470 less than gold. Historically, Rhodium was always much higher than gold - but the stuff really isn't that expensive in comparison. It would take very little Rhodium to plate an entire gun. Rhodium plated guns are pure gimmick.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast:
Actually Rhodium as deposited is about 800 knoop hardness. I know because we had to test it.This is approximately equal to 63 Rockwell "C". Hard Chrome is typically 65-70 Rockwell "C", so Rhodium does get close to chrome hardness. As a member of the Platinum group it also has excellent corrosion resistance. The problem with it, as mentioned is it's just so damn expensive. Really not a great choice for a gun finish unless you have the money of an Arabian oil sheik or similar income.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Rinspeed

Quote:
It looks very nice , so share your opinions about it.

Is this Rhodium plating for the $20,000 Sig you're planning on buying.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
x-five

Yep, and it willl look better without engraving.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Scorch

I don't know about rhodium, but some of the exotic metal plating is actually vapor deposition, and is extremely thin, like on the order of .0001" or less, so it would take very little metal to actually plate a gun. Compared to gold electroplating, which goes on about .001-.002" thick, you are talking about very minimal metal cost. Of course, equipment costs for the process may be high.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Nasty

The difference between 1 or 2 Rc points can be huge. The Armaloy I had done years ago went Rc 72. Noting ever marked that piece.