The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
C/O

Who prefers Sub-Compact Glocks?

I have had a few different Glocks over the years, the first being a Gen 2 G17. Did not care for it much and traded it off. Years later I tried a G23 Gen 3, ended up trading it off, same for a G19 Gen 3. I came to the conclusion that they just did not work for me and went off to different things.

Last year my job switched for revolvers to Glock 23 Gen4 s. I liked the new grip of the Gen 4, it just fit my hand better and I shot it fairly well. So I bought one for CCW and HD. Well, while at the range one day a friend let me try his G27 Gen 3 and I was really impressed how good it felt in my hands. I actually shot it better than any other Glock I have ever shot. I liked it so much that I ended up buying a G27 Gen 3.

I must say the G27 (IMO) is the best Glock. Perfect for CCW and still enough firepower to be used as a HD gun. It is the first Glock I can say I am completely satisfied with. I think it is bacause the hump on the grip fills the hollow of my hand vs riding lower. My shooting has actually improved with the G27, even at greater distances. I can easily make 60 foot head shots, I know there are those that do a lot better, but it is good for me.

I like it so much so that I am working a deal to trade my G23 Gen 4 for a Glock 27 Gen 4. Not that I don't like the G23, it is just that the G27 fits my needs more.

Anyone else find that they prefer the Sub-Compact Glocks over the bigger models?
Old January 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
tristar viper

Absolutely not. I had a G26, I couldn't stand that gun and I traded it for the G19 I now have. I even tried the G19 mag in it with the sleeve to try to make it more comfortable, and all that did was pinch my finger with every shot. I can honestly say that even though I love Glocks, I'll consider other brands before I ever buy another Glock sub-compact.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
tristar viper

What I wish is that Glock would make a good single stack sub-compact. I just think the ones they offer are too fat. Yes I know they are no thicker than any other Glock, but to me the engineering that went in to their sub-compacts it lacking....all they did essentially was chop the grip off a little, and call it a sub compact.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
jmr40

My preference is the mid-size G-19. I shoot it just as well as the larger G-17. It only gives up 2 rounds, is enough smaller to make CC easier and can still use the G-17 mags.

But I also have the G-26. It is a good size and can be carried even easier. To me it is a much better choice than most 5 shot revolvers. But I don't shoot mine nearly as well as the mid-size. One nice feature of the smallest Glocks is that ANY mag will work all the way up to the 33 round G-18 mags.

I think one of the sub-compacts should be part of anyones toolbox if they like the Glock platform. It just isn't my favorite, although it is probably the one carried the most.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
jglsprings

I'll go against the crowd... (again)

I shoot my G27 better than my G23.

Maybe it would be fair to say that I can shoot my G27 easier than the G23. It may position itself more naturally or "point better" - whatever that may mean. It works very well for me.

I like the G23 for capacity reasons and because it has night sights. But, those differences can be changed on the G27 with a mag sleeve and new sights.

I think that if you look around on glocktalk that you would find a lot of people like / shoot the sub compacts better.

As with anything Glock it usually winds up being a matter of personal preference with no room for any one in between the two extremes.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; January 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: title
Old January 20, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6
amd6547

I have also owned several Glocks...G23,G30, G17, and G26.
Currently, I have the G17 and G26.
I have to say, the G26 is my favorite. It carries IWB easily, and disappears under a T shirt. I shoot it very well...as well as a full sized nine. It is easy for me to hit my clubs 10" Steel plates at 40yds.
In the past, I would get home and put away my CCW pistol, and load my house pistol.
With the G26, I am perfectly comfortable just keeping it for both uses. I load it with a 12rd mag of Ranger 127gn +P+, and I am GTG.
There is something to be said for one gun for all uses.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
TheNocturnus

I knew I wasn't the only one that thought the G27 shot really well. I could handle it better than the G22 or G23.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 20, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Mercenary

In my experience I shoot Glocks in the following order regardless of caliber:

G26 > G17 > G19

And its been the same with XD's

XDsc > XD Tactical > XD Service

For whatever reason I shoot the subcompacts best and the midsized models the worst
Old January 20, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Nanuk

I am on my 2nd G-27 now. It is by far my favorite. I only use the G23 mags with the extension which I have stippled to match the frame. I have 3 barrels 40-357-9mm, just need to use 9mm mags with that barrel. Have TFO's and trigger work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00318s.jpg (171.2 KB, 35 views)
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Alabama Shooter

While not my favorite carry gun the G27 makes an excellent carry pistol and a good shooter. It is a bit thick, which is my only complaint.

Another advantage though is the round. 9mm and 5.56 always disappear first in the ammo panics. .40S&W is one of the last to go and first to return.

I do not prefer it over a full size model but a full size model is very difficult to conceal. So for concealment purposes the 27 is much better.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #11
C/O

Well, I had to cancel my trade for the G27 Gen4. I still have my G27 Gen3 so all is good. I may just keep the G23, it is a good gun, and if the antis get their way I may not be able to replace it if I ever wanted to.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #12
BerdanSS

Got my wife a nice little G26 with factory glock marked trijicon sights in the clam shell type box like brand new with two mags for under $490. She loves it, I'm not really a huge glock fan but I like it well enough. Pretty darn accurate with it, I shoot just as good with any handgun regardless of size caliber or action.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Hoosier_Daddy

Not me.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Nytelyte

I shoot my G26 at least as well as my G19, which means that when I don't want to shuffle different weapons through the nightstand the G26 + 1 G19 mag in the drawer does not leave me undergunned.
I don't know if I prefer one or the other, they each have jobs and are awesome at them, I'll still shoot the G19 for IPSC matches due to comfort, but the G26 is just as accurate and quick to draw in daily use, and since its smaller its on my side 99% of the time.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:58 AM   #15
TailGator

I am another who shoots the subcompact better than its brethren, at least in 9 mm. Preferences seem to vary, so probably the fit to the hand is a factor. I'm for what works. Sounds like the OP gave other sizes a legitimate trial, so might as well accept the results.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

I had a 27...I got over the .40S&W rounds. So I sold it.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
JN01

I shoot my G26 as well as the G19. The 26 packs easier, so that's what I usually carry.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I actually shot it better than any other Glock I have ever shot. I liked it so much that I ended up buying a G27 Gen 3.
Seems I hear this more and more every day about the baby Glocks. I own a G26 and when people decide they want a 17 or 19, I tell them to first try a 26. Some have come back and told me they bought a 26 and several have told me they wished they had listened as they are now looking to sell their 19 to fund a 26. I also own a 29 which is more compact than sub-compact, but is listed as sub. Only Glocks I own.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Officer's Match

For me true babyGlocks (26,27, 33 & 39) all but eliminate the "grip angle" discussion as the backstrap is above the heal of my hand. I do find they "point" a bit more naturally for me.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
AH.74

Count me in this camp- I prefer the subs more than the others.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Officer's Match

Also, there is one piece of advice I frequently offer about babyGlocks: give 'em a fair try without magazine extensions. It is not uncommon for shooters to find themselves more accurate with their pinky curled under the grip as the shorter pinky finger pulling the grip is often a cause of inaccuracy.