The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 16, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Okie47

ALABAMA rules?

At a gun show recently, I got to talking to a couple of young guys about open carry in Alabama and they informed me they were LEO's and it is already legal. After a few questions I kind of jokingly asked to see their badges, and they showed them. They said it's totally legal, but, be prepared for major hassles, to the point it's not worth it. Seems any LEO can ask to see your licenses, etc. which is fine, but can deliberately hassle you by calling it in, verifications, confiscation until results, etc. End of story was, if you are a legal good citizen you get your gun back,sooner or later,with no charge/fee and the message made that I/we do not like open carry round here. I've lived here 15 yrs. never seen one open carry. Only 6 more months till I move, but would really be interested in your thoughts. thanks.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
lefteye

So Alabama LEO's enforce most Alabama laws unless they have a different opinion in which case they enforce what they would like the law to be? I wonder what their oath of office is. (This post is not an opinion on open cary or concealed carry.)
Old February 16, 2013, 12:47 AM   #3
JimDandy

They could do that yeah. Of course, if they're blatant about it they could be offering you free money. But honestly, if you didn't think open carry was asking for more trouble that it was worth, why not? The only time Open carry isn't more trouble is en masse as a civil protest.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
hermannr

Yes it is legal in Alabama to OC, always has been, even when I was there in the early 70's. I believe if you look at the Alabama state constitution of 1901 A1/S26: Very simple statement....

That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

A right cannot be licensed, as CC is licensed in Alabama, Unlicensed OC is legal.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5
JimDandy

I was always a fan of them too. In Pictures was tear-jerker, and that one about gotta have a fiddle in the band was a toe-tapper.