The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
JetFuelBurner

Modify an all original as-new Rem 1100??

I acquired a Remington 1100 12ga that is as new and un-fired. It has a fixed choke that won't do for turkey or sporting clays. Modify the original barrel for screw in chokes or buy a separate barrel for that purpose and leave the original as is?
Old March 5, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Virginian

Cheapest route to go is to have choke tubes installed by a competent individual. Save the paperwork proving who did the work and it doesn't decrease the value, in fact it usually increases it. It's probably not big enough for RemChokes. I have had Mike Orlen install tubes on two older fixed choke Remington barrels, and would wholeheartedly recommend him. I also got the extended choke tubes for ease of changing when shooting clays and have been well pleased with the results. If it is a non-vent rib barrel I wouldn't spend the money on it, I'd get a new barrel.
You may hear the old fixed choke barrels were so good they shouldn't be tampered with, but I haven't found anything magical that a good choke tube installation can't equal. A bad choke tube installation is awful.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Pahoo

There are options

PM Sent ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
BigJimP

price a new barrel that has screw in chokes in it ....

and then you can decide....
--------------
Personally, I'd probably sell the barrel with the fixed choke ...and buy a 2nd barrel for it - just to make it more versatile. Keeping the fixed choke barrel ( might depend on what its choked at ) ...but if its a Full choke ...it would have little, if any, value to most of us for clays.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
zippy13

When selecting a barrel for a specific task, there's more to consider than choke constriction. You didn't mention the existing barrel's length and rib style. If the length or rib are wrong, then having your existing barrel choked is folly. FYI: Briley gets $200 for a basic installation with 3 chokes, the Barrel Exchange has used 1100 barrels for around $225 and Remington has new ones for about $325.

Quote:
...but if its a Full choke ...it would have little, if any, value to most of us for clays.
Full chokes are what come with trap guns.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
PetahW

JMO, but since Remington 1100's are by no means rare and/or collector's items, it won't make any difference which way you choose.

Let your wallet be your guide.

Last edited by PetahW; March 6, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
BigJimP

I disagree with Zippy on full chokes and Trap guns....none of the guys that I know, that shoot a lot of Trap - shoot Full chokes from the 16 - 20 yd lines...most all of them shoot a Modified choke for those distances - for singles or even continental Trap.

I'm not saying there aren't some out there doing it ...maybe the better nationally ranked shooters have some reason for doing it ...but you sure don't need to do it ...especially for new shooters in my opinion.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
zippy13

Jim, I know some folks don't shoot full chokes at 16-yards; but, that doesn't alter how trap guns are marketed. I've only bought a few dedicated trap guns, and they came with full chokes (fixed and screw ins*). When you're in a sudden death shoot-off at 27-yards, you'll wish you had a full choke.

*screw-ins: My 1100 Trap came with full, extra full and super full chokes. My Beretta trap combo came with fulls and some less constrictive tubes for doubles.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Keg

I would buy another barrel..then decide to sell the old one or keep it....
Old March 6, 2012, 06:01 PM   #10
JetFuelBurner

I think I'll get another barrel. The current one is a vent rib, mod choke and 2 3/4" shell.

Thanks for all the info.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Virginian

Mike Orlen - Choke tube installation $55
Flush tubes $24.95
Extended tubes $28.95
Cut barrel to length with tube installation no charge
Return Shipping and Ins. $15.00
These are retail. Wholesale to Shotgun World members. Installation $35.00.
Find a RemChoke barrel in really good shape for that.
Old March 7, 2012, 02:43 PM   #12
BigJimP

I agree with your point on marketing Zippy ...on dedicated "Trap" guns ...but then, not so many years ago ....the consensus among Trap shooters was you needed to shoot 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's at all ranges ( from 16 - 27 yds ) and I think that mold has been broken too.

I'm not a serious Trap shooter....but I have no problem even shooting ..... 7/8 oz of 8's in Trap ...with a Mod choke at 16 yds...

Its not that a person can't shoot a fixed choke gun with a lot of sucess...but in today's clay target sports being able to change chokes - and use just one gun ---is a plus.