The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2010, 09:03 PM   #1
the357plan

Elk Culling Operation

This is culling, not hunting, but if you are interested...

Basically, you must be physically fit, pay your own way, use 100+ gr lead-free copper bullets, .25+ caliber bottle-neck rifle cartridges (257 Roberts or bigger), demonstrate shooting proficiency (3 of 5 shots in 8" at 200 yd) and commit for the week.

From NRA-ILA:

Quote:
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is asking for volunteers from the public to assist them in a culling operation to reduce the Park's elk population. The cull will take place between November 1st and January 21st. The goal is to recruit 20 volunteers each week to take up to 250 cow elk. Applications to participate can only be made on-line.
Here is the link:

http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

If I thought I had the physical stamina, I would apply then go and buy either a 25-06, 260, 7mm-08 or 308. I don't care to shoot anything bigger than those any more. My preference would be the Federal Premium Vital-Shok 25-06 Remington 100 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X (I'm a 25-06 fan).

Last edited by the357plan; July 31, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old July 31, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
doofus47

I"m barely going to get the hall pass for a week in colorado this year.
Good luck to whomever goes, though.
thanks for pointing that out.
Old July 31, 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
the357plan

I think it's about time the National Park Service goes to the general public instead of paying professionals for culling services. I hope everything goes smoothly so they'll continue this in the future.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
MO. Shootin

That is awesome. I am glad to see it as well. I am sure that it will be a success.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:09 PM   #5
crghss

Thanks for the info, would like to try it. But it would cost me around a $1000 or more to do this. It maybe away to get out west and gain some experience.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Sigh..., they could have done this before I got old and crippled. Well better late than never. Maybe they should do this with a few bear locations too.

And there should be a open season on Coyotes on the southern border. Oh, oh, did I say that out loud.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 4, 2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Tomas

Thanks for the info 357. I am going to try and go. Wife won't be happy, but it sounds like a good experience.

tom
Old August 4, 2010, 11:42 PM   #8
the357plan

Odds...

Although I'm not applying, I am still curious about just how many people apply. I would like to know what the odds of being selected are. It seems they're doing this when the weather might be a little nasty (means less visitors). I would like to try something like this in a national park that's located a little farther south. Midnight August 9th is the deadline to apply.

Tom, if somehow you get selected, write up your experience and post some pictures.
Old August 5, 2010, 08:00 AM   #9

Just browsed the FAQ's. I am glad to see that the participants will receive up to a cow's worth of meat depending on the success rate. The surplus will be going to approved charities.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 5, 2010, 04:17 PM   #10
crghss

Quote:
I would like to know what the odds of being selected are.
A person from NPS said the odds are around 2% as of 08/01/2010.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:14 AM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

August 9th was the last day

to apply. Guess the monitor should close this thread.

I went to the FAQ section, and thought it was interesting that Park Staff were going to track herds with GPS linked to radio collared animals, and then direct groups of shooters to herds. Very efficient.

Seems you wouldn't sharpen your hunting skills by participating, but you could definitely learn a lot about the effectiveness of your rifle and ammo.

Note the requirement to use "lead free" ammo. Gimme a break - do they really think lead would be ingested by predators and/or scavengers? Or is it still an issue that human consumption of lead fragments in the meat would be unsafe?
Old September 16, 2010, 12:26 AM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
Note the requirement to use "lead free" ammo. Gimme a break - do they really think lead would be ingested by predators and/or scavengers? Or is it still an issue that human consumption of lead fragments in the meat would be unsafe?
Quote:
Just browsed the FAQ's. I am glad to see that the participants will receive up to a cow's worth of meat depending on the success rate. The surplus will be going to approved charities.
Can't have the poor charity cases accusing the gubmint of feeding them lead.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:27 AM   #13
nathaniel

Quote:
Can't have the poor charity cases accusing the gubmint of feeding them lead.
I'm sure thats a part of it but I'm sure its more that its in a national park and the antis are already flipping out about them culling it. When I was working there this summer they had people giving the rangers death threats because of this thing. But what they dont realize is their beloved president had to sign a bill to get this thing passed.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:31 AM   #14
nathaniel

If anyone of you gets drawn for participation let me know I can tell you anything you need to know about the area. I've worked there during the summer and we deer hunt there. Its also amazing for coyote hunting in the winter, but be careful for the mountain lions they are sneaky little buggars.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Doodlebugger45

Quote:
Yep. That is precisely the fear that is now being spread by the do-gooders. There is a similar elk hunt held near Grand Teton Nat'l Park in Wyoming. Supposedly, a scientific study showed that the eagles and hawks in the area had elevated lead levels in their blood, presumably from feeding on the gut piles of the elk. That seems preposterous to me, but the anti-gun agenda will use any "fact" they can find to suit their purpose.

But I digress. My hat is off to the park service for doing the cull hunts. They are in a tough predicament. They understand that the elk population needs to be culled for the greater good. Yet they face pressure from the well-meaning but ignorant masses who oppose any hunting. Same issue the BLM faces here with wild horses and the same general issue the USFWS has in managing their precious wolf herds.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If anybody learns of the results of the effort, start a new thread about it, please.
Closed Thread