The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2010, 08:11 AM   #1
benny7mmWSM

berger VLD bullets

i am in the process of loadining some target ammo for 270 win, 308 win, 7mm WSM, im gonna load some berger VLD hollow points in various wieghts mostly heavier. so its said that they a extremly good long range projectiles i figured that a good hand load and projectile polishing i can get a consisant 700 yards from my 308 in 175gr, does any one know what kind of effect they will have on like whitetail game at various distance, will they be suitible for hunting do you know what the interior ballistics are. thanks
Old January 27, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. Not sure what you want to know exactly? Be aware that long bullets need adequate twist to stabilize them. Berger's minimum twists are on this page in the right column.

Be aware that some VLD shapes cannot be seated deeply enough to allow the finished cartridge to fit in a magazine. Those need to be loaded singly. You probably also want to look at this from Walt Berger on seating his bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3
CarterMccoy

Berger for hunting

I read somewhere that Berger bullets were originally designed to be long distance competition projectiles. Somewhere along the way, some moron shot one into some media and BAM, great expansion too!

Apparently, the construction lends itself not only to velocity retention, but to excellent expansion on game as well.

I got some 115 VLDs for my 25 caliber, and cant wait t o try them.

Thank you for that twist recommendation link, big help there. 1 in 10 is pretty much the standard for 25-06 rem., but it never hurts to verify what you THINK the twist should be.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:14 AM   #4
amamnn

Direct your question to Walt Berger on the Berger website. I am sure he will be able to answer your question and I am also sure he'll be happy to do it.
Old January 28, 2010, 01:54 AM   #5
jordandakota

On the show "Best of the West" which plays on the outdoor channel they use the Berger VLD bullets with either a 7mm or 7mm WSM. The ballistic coefficient for that caliber is a very aerodynamic rating. They constantly make long range shots. Here is their website: http://www.thebestofthewest.net/
Old January 28, 2010, 02:31 AM   #6
tachunter

Quote:
does any one know what kind of effect they will have on like whitetail game at various distance, will they be suitible for hunting do you know what the interior ballistics are
For the VLD's...devastating effects. I think if you can't drop an elk at 850yds with one shot, a white tail would be subject to even worse results. Watch the show “Best of the West.” The drop everything from Elk to Moose at ranges over 800yds.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:03 AM   #7
VaFisher

I have used 30 caliper Berger on deer myself with great results.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

This brings up an interesting topic. The reason the Adjutant General's opinion from the 80's OK'd the development of the Sierra 175 grain MatchKing for M118LR sniper ammo, is he found the small hollow points in match bullets were non-expanding, and therefore did not violate the Hague Accords expanding bullet prohibition for warfare. I would not expect Berger VLD's to be any different? I know the VLD's they made for target shooting were the same ones that started their use for hunting. I just assumed the longer shapes would tumble more easily on impact than a shorter shape does, but I could be way off the mark there. I think I'll have to communicate with Berger to ask what they've learned on the topic?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 28, 2010, 06:05 PM   #9
benny7mmWSM

thanks for the info guys, and UNCLENICK's link that much information on seating depth is just nuts, blows my freakin mind. but i will work with it.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:09 PM   #10
benny7mmWSM

i spent years sending 175 gr ball ammo down range one at a time never would i have thought that there was this much to gettin long range accuracy, im not trying to shoot the tightest group, just keep it simple and keep it sub MOA! HOOOOOAAHH!
Old January 28, 2010, 06:59 PM   #11
VaFisher

Quote:
This brings up an interesting topic. The reason the Adjutant General's opinion from the 80's OK'd the development of the Sierra 175 grain MatchKing for M118LR sniper ammo, is he found the small hollow points in match bullets were non-expanding, and therefore did not violate the Hague Accords expanding bullet prohibition for warfare. I would not expect Berger VLD's to be any different? I know the VLD's they made for target shooting were the same ones that started their use for hunting. I just assumed the longer shapes would tumble more easily on impact than a shorter shape does, but I could be way off the mark there. I think I'll have to communicate with Berger to ask what they've learned on the topic?
They may look alike but I can tell you from experence the berger bullet performs well and very much like the ballistic tips. The do not just punch a hole.