The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 15, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Eskimo

Something to think about..

For those of you that have been in a situation where you needed to pull your weapon: how many of you can say that a good 6 inch tactical knife would have been sufficient? I'm thinking of keeping the pistol at home and keeping a nice tactical knife in my dash.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2
CWPinSC

A knife means you have to let them get within arm's distance. Too close for my comfort. If the attacker is a martial arts expert (or even bigger and stronger than you), he'll have you eating that knife in a couple of seconds. If he has a gun, that knife will make a good grave marker.

"Never bring a knife to a gunfight."

FWIW, a knife MIGHT have been sufficient in one instance that I drew and faced down two young, fit bucks in a deserted field, but it would have been useless against the shotgun at 30' I had to draw against the other time.

I'll keep my piece, thank you.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
scottycoyote

well i think most of us hope that in a bad situation, pulling out some type of weapon (gun knife mace), is going to stop the threat before we have to use it........and along that line of reasoning then definitely being able to pull out a knife is better than pulling out a hand with nothing but some skin on it.

but as far as a knife being my goto weapon (as youre saying, leave the gun at home and carry the knife).....i sure wouldnt want to have to depend on it. Like the above poster said, unless youre specifically well trained in knife use and some basic juijitsu/martial arts, then a bigger stronger or better trained guy is going to take it away from ya and give it back in a way you probably dont like. Id much rather pull out a pocket pistol or even pepper spray.......i carry a knife too but its the last resort.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
KLRANGL

I would never criticize someones choice, but it begs the question: why you would chose the knife over the handgun? Im sure you have a reason, but it might help us if you tell us what that reason is...

Not to mention many states wont let you carry a larger knife concealed...
Old July 15, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
kraigwy

Never take a knife to a gun fight
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 15, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Eskimo

First of all, I don't live in a bad area and i'm almost positive that nothing will ever happen that I can't talk my way out of or run from. I believe that being TOO prepared is a bad thing, and I just see no reason to bring my pistol in and out of my car all the time. Besides, life with no risk at all is not worth living.

Anything can happen in a violent situation.. even with a gun.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Sixer

Quote:
First of all, I don't live in a bad area and i'm almost positive that nothing will ever happen that I can't talk my way out of or run from. I believe that being TOO prepared is a bad thing...
Then why bother with a knife? Just curious.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would not even consider carrying a knife exclusively. If I need to poke holes in somebody, there's absolutely no way that a knife would be safer for me than a gun.

Personally, I don't carry a knife for any "tactical" reason at all. My knives are for opening pesky soda cans that I can't get my fingers under, and other similarly dangerous tasks.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Dwight55

Eskimo wrote, "I believe that being TOO prepared is a bad thing, ..............."

Yeah, I suppose that if 4 teenage thugs with knives were to accost a person carrying a 5 shot revolver, . . . that extra round might be TOO prepared.

Oh, . . . is that your phone ringing? Probably Sarah Brady calling, . . . she really likes the way you think.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 15, 2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's a fascinating thing how anyone who believes there can even be such a thing as "over prepared", at any level, is instantly the target of fear mongering and insults.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:40 AM   #11
pax

This is not going to end well, and I don't have time to watch it closely today.

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread