The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
phil mcwilliam

What binoculars do you use for hunting?

The previous summer bushfires had burnt through the mountains where I go to hunt deer. The usual thick undergrowth had been cleared and I felt disadvantaged using my Leupold V2 3x9 -40 rifle scope to "glass" through the blackened tree trunks. I never use to carry binoculars as they tended to sway around your neck & catch on branches, or stay in the bottom of the backpack & just add to the weight that you have to carry around the mountainside all day. My mate had just got a harness system for his Zeiss 8x30 binos, & this looked like it would solve my carrying problems. I researched quality binoculars & ordered a pair of Swarovski 7x42 over the internet. The optics on these binos are extremely crisp & clear, but I'm dissapointed with the weight at 33 ounces. My mates Zeiss 8x30 weigh heaps less. While I think the Swarovski has an edge in crispness this would be due to the larger objective. I conducted side by side tests in all light between these 2 binoculars & what edge the Swarvoski 7x42 had in brightness was matched in magnification by the Zeiss 8x30. Although field of view is smaller with 30mm, it is still good for tracking running game. I would consider 8x30mm binos ideal for hunting due to weight/optics, particularly for the mountains.What works for you?
Old September 3, 2008, 05:27 AM   #2
HiBC

I have two pair.Both older Brunton Eternas.One is a 10X50,and they are amazing!!The other is an 8x32,very good.Depends on what I'm doing.
I'm considering some Leu 6X32 Katmai's for woods.
Old September 3, 2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Pilot

Steiner Predator Pro.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:59 AM   #4
ringworm

8x30
Old September 3, 2008, 08:09 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Scope...
Brent
Old September 3, 2008, 08:22 AM   #6
HOGGHEAD

Binoculars

IMO the "crispness" has nothing to do with objective size. Itr has everything to do with better optics. The objective will allow more light in, but it will not increase the "target definition".

I use the Swarovski 8X56 SLC's. And you are correct about the weight issue. However the quality of this binocular is so high that I will always leave something else behind-my binoculars always go with me. You definitely will see more game, and be able to judge the animals better with quality glass. And you will be able to use your binoculars for a long time without fatigue. It is that simple. Tom.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:42 AM   #7
sholling

It's bad form to sweep somebody with your rifle because you don't have good binoculars with you. I have 23oz Vortex Viper 8x42 in a Crooked Horn rig so that it's not flopping around (video). If I need to go lighter I also have a little 13oz 10x26 Steiner Predator Pro. Good glass but not in the same league as the Vipers.

For those in the market keep an eye on Eagle Optics' "Hot Deals" page and SWFA's "Sample List" site for cosmetic seconds, refurbs, and closeouts. Just research warranties before pulling the trigger. For example Leupold might honor a full lifetime warranty and Nikon might limit their refurbs to only 90 days.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:04 AM   #8
LHB1

I use either 8x32 Leica or 10x32 Leica binocs (for longer distances). If I will be sitting in a stand, sometimes use 10x42 Leica binocs.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:34 PM   #9
LionHunter

I use the following:
1. Leupold 9x25 These are compacts, over 30 years old and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. Leopold re-furbished them about 5 years ago - no charge.
2. Leica 10x42BN Great glasses, but heavy for me, 8 years old, truck glasses.
3. Leica 8x32BN Great glasses, lighter weight, 2 years old.

The Leupolds get worn on safari every day. PH will have larger binos and some trackers now carry binos as well. The 8x32s were bought because the 10x42 were just too heavy to carry around all day. I use a bino harness with these, which prevents the bouncing and getting caught on things and also takes the weight off my neck. The 10x42 stays in the truck for spotting.

Quality is paramount. Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski are considered some of the finest glass made today. They are waterproof and do not fog. Lifetime warranty. $ is always a concern but aggressive shopping got me the Leica 8x32 at about half MSRP on a close-out - an incredible deal. I bought the Leica 10x42 at an SCI fundraiser, again, paying about half MSRP. If you are out in the sun day after day glassing for animals and evaluating trophy quality, you must have binos that will take the beating and provide the best optics possible. Consider buying a used pair of quality binos if that's what you can afford.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Scorch

I have a set of Pentax 10X32 for hunting on foot, and a set of 7X50s if I am in a car (heavy).
Old September 3, 2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

For deer hunting I use a small set of Bushnells, I believe they are 6x32. They weren't expensive, but they weren't a $10 throw away pair either. I might have paid $60 for them. Anyway, for where I hunt, they do a very good job and are light and easy to carry.
Old September 7, 2008, 01:21 AM   #12
moose fat

Steiner 8 X 30, Military and Marine that I've owned for ten years. They have bright clear glass, they're light in weight, kid proof. The individual focus rings are still tight and smooth turning, still fog proof. They have been banged around in my boat and in my hunting pack on my snowmachine in wet and cold weather. I like them!
Old September 7, 2008, 07:22 AM   #13
lockedcj7

I have a set of Pentax 7x25 compact that I carry with me in the woods. They replaced a set of Nikon 7x25s that were stolen. I have a set of Bushnell 10x50s that stay at the house to glass the pastures and there is a set of Bushnell 8x35s that I keep in the truck.

I don't use any of them enough to justify spending 1K or more and they work well enough.
Old September 11, 2008, 03:56 PM   #14
22-rimfire

I presently have two pairs of binocs that I use for hunting. I like the Nikon Monach 8x42 and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (I believe 30). I use the Leupolds for woods hunting as they are smaller and I don't need to glass things at 200 yds as a rule. I'm very pleased with the Nikons for a middle price range binocular or at least "middle for me".
Old September 11, 2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Jack O'Conner

I have Bushnell 10X h20 binoculars. Best I've ever owned!!

They cost me $110.00 at Natchez a couple years back.

Jack
Old September 12, 2008, 10:56 AM   #16
cbm1948

+1 One the Nikon Monarch 8 x 42 that 22RF suggested, I have a pair and they are outstanding, there are better but many $$ more than the Nikon's. I wear eye glasses and I do not have to remove them to use the Binoc. Give them a look see I think you will be impressed.
Old September 12, 2008, 07:25 PM   #17
bcarver

steiner

8x30
Old September 12, 2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Rembrandt

Swarovski 10X42's.......

Old September 12, 2008, 09:16 PM   #19
guntotin_fool

Stiener 8x30 mm's best deal on the planet in gOOd bino's
Old September 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #20
Swampghost

If I'm on stand I use an old pair of B&L's that my Dad borrowed from the Navy around WW-II. A couple of years ago a friend gave me a pair of Zeiss compacts for Christmas and they're great if you're on the move.

The old B&L's are the best. Heavy, but you can literally see the craters on the moon.
Old September 12, 2008, 09:47 PM   #21
crowbeaner

I have 2 pair of Bushnells; a 7x35 and 10x50. The 10x are great; you can count the eyelashes on a gnat at 100 yards, but bulky and heavier than the 7x35s. I use the 7x the most; I keep them in a big pocket in my coat until I sit down to watch woods openings and trails. I have a cheap pair of Tasco compacts that I hang around my neck; they are small enough to tuck inside my coat and not strangle me when I'm walking. People get nervous when you glass with your rifle scope.
Old September 13, 2008, 08:17 AM   #22
Fat White Boy

For glassing at a distance, I use a pair of Bausch and Lomb 10X42's. If I am walking through the woods, I carry a pair of Nikon Travelite II's in 7X25...
Old September 13, 2008, 12:33 PM   #23
ssilicon

Nikon Action
10-22 zoom, 50mm objectives
BAK-4 porro prisms
multicoated optics

There are better out there, but there are far worse also. On the larger side, but light for size. I like the better light gathering of the 50mm lenses and the ability to zoom into higher ower when needed. Can keep it backed off at 10 power normally, and then zoom in if needed for something far.
Old September 13, 2008, 12:39 PM   #24
hoytinak

I carry a Leupold Wind River 10x50 Mesa, I know there's better binos out there but I don't use them much. They mostly stay in the backpack and I use my scope for all my optic needs.