The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 25, 2008, 11:17 AM   #26
Zak Smith

Any FFL can order you one
Old July 25, 2008, 06:27 PM   #27
RAnb

I made a silencer for my Browning HP. I do not know how to make a recoil booster, so I made the can as light as possible, used a cut down 8 pound spring and 147 cast loaded (hot) to 1050 fps. It works fine, but I have to change the slide spring if I want to shoot unsuppressed.

Ranb
Old July 25, 2008, 07:07 PM   #28
Wildalaska

I assume you papered it

WildelstiwouldbedeletingthepostifiwereyouAlaska ™
Old July 25, 2008, 07:14 PM   #29
Superhouse 15

S&W

Just was thinking about this in another post.

The 622, 422, 2213, 2214 series from S&W. They are fine quality .22s, very reliable. They also have an easily changed barrel nut, and the barrel is located in the bottom of the slide. Any .22 can should be well below the sights. Because there is no hammer you can safely put your thumb against the back of the slide to keep it from cycling to eliminate action noise. The recoil spring is not captive, you can clip a coil to adjust it to cycle with subsonic loads.

Last edited by Superhouse 15; July 27, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:21 PM   #30
RAnb

Wildalaska, you assume correctly. With one of the most worthless stamps $200 can buy. Even though the can works fine, I can not help but feel I was ripped off. $20 in material, 12 hours toil on the lathe for a small pipe that I could not even give away.

Ranb
Old July 26, 2008, 09:37 PM   #31
AmesJainchill

Quote:
I made a silencer for my Browning HP. I do not know how to make a recoil booster, so I made the can as light as possible, used a cut down 8 pound spring and 147 cast loaded (hot) to 1050 fps. It works fine, but I have to change the slide spring if I want to shoot unsuppressed.
Recoil booster? Never heard of it, could you explain?
Old July 26, 2008, 11:29 PM   #32
Zak Smith

A recoil booster aka Nielsen device decouples the inertia of the suppressor from the barrel. They basically make Browning-style pistols (most modern autopistols) work when more than a certain amount of mass is hung from the muzzle. They consist of a spring loaded bushing which compresses as recoil starts, allowing the barrel to move enough for the action to operate.
Old July 27, 2008, 11:27 AM   #33
NukeLabTech

A Glock 17 is the best pistol for suppressing.

1. Use it in 9mm w/ a good 9mm can and 147grn subsonic ammo . . . its spooky quiet.
2. Top it off with an advatage arms .22 cnversion and its spooky quiet and cheap to shoot.
Old July 27, 2008, 04:23 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Nagant revolver
Wild comes through again with the classiest suggestion. If you can afford one already converted, or if you can live with threading a piece of history one this is the obvious choice. Performance is supposed to be superb, and anyone who knows much about the subject will be very jealous. A suppressed revolver will really stand out.

I couldn't find a nagant when I was looking, although I did not look too hard and at the time did not really know how/where to look. I went with P22. Prethreaded and really set up for it. Walther suppressors and third parties very available. The slide is what you will hear. Barrels and grips are available to make it a target pistol, a plinker, or even a carry pistol. I do not suggest it as a carry pistol, especially before send 1,000 rounds through it. The pistol is a ton of fun to shoot at the range and comes from factory with a fair amount of modular grip/sight adjustments. Also a built in rail if you want a laser or light. Much much easier to clean than the Rugers.
If you want it to take to the range and have some fun with I would go with P22.
If you want it for target the Ruger is probably the better way to go, although I am acquainted with a collegiate shooter who shoots with a dressed up and suppressed P22.
If you want it for carry or HD, don't pay attention to anything I have said as I have never looked at that perspective.

I must have had my eyes closed when looking. I am ordering one of these.
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1059

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 27, 2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: found nagant
Old July 27, 2008, 05:07 PM   #35
bgrayd

Wow...

I just "found" this forum... but I have been trying to learn about silencers for awhile.

There are several resource pages available that are awesome especially these two:
www.silencertalk.com/forum
www.silencerresearch.com

The latter even has impartial testing with many different brands of silencers on different pistol (and rifle) hosts.

Happy shopping, and welcome to a brand new addiction.

Brett
Old July 29, 2008, 07:47 PM   #36
mtdew_

Quote:
A Glock 17 is the best pistol for suppressing.

1. Use it in 9mm w/ a good 9mm can and 147grn subsonic ammo . . . its spooky quiet.
2. Top it off with an advatage arms .22 cnversion and its spooky quiet and cheap to shoot.
Except for the fact they do not like to cycle light loads w/ a can attached.
Old July 30, 2008, 12:42 AM   #37
PTK

Factory WWB 115gr loads cycle fine in my G17 with Cobra9 from YHM.
Old August 10, 2008, 06:53 PM   #38
2ndchance

Ranb, it's not a total waste.

Hey Ranb,

Your suppressor is not a total loss. The suppressor would be good for any fixed barrel weapon. If it's a 9mm, consider slapping it on a future CAR-9 or even a cheapie Kel-Tec 9 carbine. It's still fun as heck to shoot suppressed.