The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2007, 01:14 AM   #1
OneBulletBarney

New question no one ever asked!

Sorry fellows I needed you to read this. I only shot one shotgun my entire life. I would like to own a couple now.

Based on what I would use it for please give me the best or top quality brand of shotgun you can recommend along with the ammo?

#1 - Spend about $500-$700 dollars.

#2- Pretty much used as home defense and at range. No hunting or anything. Advice or input? Appreciate the input ahead of time or say sorry to ask a beat up old question. Many thanks.
Old December 18, 2007, 01:19 AM   #2
robc

Welcome to TFL.

You can get a fabulous HD and range gun for a lot less than $500. Look at a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 Express. Either gun will cost less than $300.

Ammo? for HD, go with 000. For range use? Cheap.
Old December 18, 2007, 01:28 AM   #3
TTTTglock

I totally agree with the mossberg and the 870. The remington 1187 is great if your wanting a semi auto.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:47 AM   #4
BillyGoat13

A Remington 1100 is always a good choice. Just bought a Stoeger M2000 2 years ago and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Cheaper than Franchi and Benelli with "almost" the same guts and stays clean forever.
Old December 18, 2007, 09:18 AM   #5
okiewita40

I'll chime in also on either the Mossy 500 or Rem 870. Plus that would leave you plenty of money for ammo to pattern you SG and see what it likes to use the best. Not to mention you getting plenty of practice with your new SG.
Old December 18, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
ebutler462

Billygoat13, the Stoeger has the identical action of the Franchi I-12. The Benelli action is different but a near fit. The Benelli is a bit more polished on the outside and inside. The main difference is the recoil spring is in the stock on the Benelli and on the magazine tube on the Franchi and the 2000.

I have had great service with my 2000. Dick's has them on sale this week for $349 in wood.

According to Field and Stream magazine, the Benelli has a higher return rate-for-service than the 2000. Gun Tests magazine rates it a good buy. My personal experience tells me that it is a great buy.

The 2000 has come a long way over the past 5-6 years. It is in it's third redesign. This latest design is a tremendous improvement in looks and quality.
Old December 18, 2007, 10:25 AM   #7
azsixshooter

Check out Wilson Combat shotguns (they bought Scattergun Technologies). Something sweet built on an 870...if you've got the money to spend and it's a dedicated HD gun you should at least check them out.

Nothing wrong with a stock Mossy 5xx or a Rem 870 at all, though. I have both and like them equally.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old December 18, 2007, 10:34 AM   #8
azsixshooter

BTW, for ammo in a HD shotgun Federal 1 Buck might be best. I keep 4 Buck in mine because I live in an apartment and the walls are like cardboard. 00 Buck is always good too. Your top two accessories should probably be side saddle and tactical flashlight, in that order. Actually, before worrying about accessories you should get some defensive shotgun books (Ayoob and Awerbuck are two authors that come to mind) and some defensive shotgun training (check your local range or gun club).

Also, with ammo do a search in these forums for "shotgun barrel patterning" or something like that. It's important to try a lot of different types and makes of ammo to find out which one your particular barrel shoots best.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old December 18, 2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Smitty in CT

Mossberg 930 Field / Security combo, great autoloader, reliable & affordable.

You get 2 barrels (18.5" & 28") and they sell for $425.17 (plus shipping & transfer fees)

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G85325

OR,

You can go for the 930SPX that has all the bells and whistles already added:

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 18, 2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Musketeer

870 Express

One barrel for the bedroom and another for the trap range.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin