The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 28, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Survivor

S&W 629 occasionally doesn't fire

I've got a S&W 629 44 Mag that occasionally doesn't fire when I pull the trigger. The has only happened when firing in the single action mode. The round does fire when cycled back around. Weird! Wonder if anyone has had a similar problem. Maybe a spring or springs?

Appreciate any ideas/suggestions.
Old June 28, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2
JoeHatley

Top 3 reasons for light hits in a S&W revolver

1) Strain screw isn't tight. It needs to be fully seated.
2) Strain screw has been shortened. Replace with new, or temporarily "lengthen" with a spent primer cup.
3) Aftermarket reduced powder mainspring. Replace with full power version.

If it's not one of those 3, stop back and we'll move on to things like firing pin protrusion and headspace.

BTW: the ammo is quality stuff... right?

Joe
Old June 28, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Survivor

Joe, thanks for the reply. I pulled the grip and got about two full turns tightening the strain screw. Seems to have a "snappier" trigger now. A trip to the range is now in order. Really appreciate your help!
Old June 28, 2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Survivor

Joe, ref the ammo: Using American Eagle and Remington, mostly AE for target work.
Old June 28, 2007, 02:20 PM   #5
LHB1

Put some blue Loctite on that M629 strain screw to prevent it from backing out again from recoil. Loosen screw, apply Loctite, tighten screw. Should stay put then. Works great on my M629's.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old July 11, 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Corn dodger

Wolff springs

I have a SW Model 28-2 and the trigger pull both single and double action is very hard. Much more so than my other N framed Smiths. By using a wolff reduced main spring and return spring to cut down on trigger pull, is this going to affect reliability to a large degree? If at all? Anyone experenced this?
Old July 11, 2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Stainz

If that strain screw is tight...

The Wolff full power hammer (leaf) spring will pop anyone's primers - and it is significantly lower effort than the OEM leaf. The lighter trigger return springs will not affect primer hits - just trigger effort - and speed of trigger reset, only of real importance in action shooting (Speed!) competition. The middle trigger return spring in the 'kit' is my usual choice.

If you are not squeamish, and have properly sized hollow ground screwdrivers, you may just find that a new - or new to you - S&W is dry as a bone and not broken-in at all. It is amazing what a little cleaning of manufacturing, etc, crud, lube, break-in dry firing, and recleaning alone will do. Or, if used, you may just find, as I did this week, that the reason your used revolver's 'professionally tweaked' trigger is soft, scratchy, and won't reliably pop Winnie primers is simply mangled primers.

Horror story with a good ending: My friend's used 4" 686+ would not pop all of his Winchester SP primers the first time. I diagnosed a clipped trigger return spring and bent hammer spring, evidenced by the soft DA effort and lite, but scratchy, trigger return. The sideplate came off easily - loose screws. The strain screw was superglued in place - and required much effort to remove. I cleaned the white residue, definitely not Loctite. You should always use blue Loctite, if securing that strain screw is required. The leaf had a crease from being 'bent' - or re-formed. The trigger return spring was clipped. Replaced, and a drop of oil sparingly shared by all of the appropriate axis' and surfaces, it was reassembled. The owner, although he watched me, thought I hadn't done a thing - the trigger effort was fine - but the trigger was smoother. Shooting it proved it was fixed. It popped every primer we tried. He was grinning like a cheshire cat. The cheapskate thanked me - but didn't even buy me a pop. Ahhh, range friends!

If the strain screw is tight, try the spring replacement. My 629's have full power Wolff hammer springs, and like everything but my 625JM, the lightest trigger return. Everything else, except personal protection (296 & 642), has the lighter hammer spring... they are for for 'fun'!

Stainz