The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 30, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
klcmschlesinger

Which handgun scope?

I have done some searches and have read the current posts on handgun scopes. Everybody raves on the Burris, Bushnell 3200, and Leupold and I am sure they are great. But my questions about handgun scopes is more along the line that are these scopes that much better than a Simmon's or Weaver which are much less expensive. And does anyone have any experience with the Pride Fowler line of handgun scopes?

Just to clarify, I am going to be scoping my 44 mag super redhawk for deer hunting.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old May 31, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have used a few of the less expensive pistol scopes in the past and they are ok but I would rather buy at least a bushnell 3200 for a .44 mag like your ruger.

leupold, burris and Bushnell 3200 scopes are more expensive and for a good reason; they are better made and will handle the punishment from hard kicking handgun rounds.

For a .44 revolver look at a fixed power 2x, you might be able to find a nearly new one for a bargin price.
Old June 2, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

The Simmons & Weaver handgun scopes I had stunk badly - got rid of them due to the fishbowl effect - they are a stain on the name of those companies, particularly Weaver -at least the line of scopes which I had. I believe the Simmons & Weavers are made at the same place (Meade).

Wait - I take that back - the VARIABLE power Simmons & Weavers stunk. The FIXED 4x Simmons I still have, and it is decent/good; I kept it - it's on my Dan Wesson .357 6" at present; I think it was $99.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
IRock

I have a Leupold 2x with a TSOB mount and wouldn't trade it for anything. A friend has the same set up and dropped it while out hunting. The bell got a nasty bent on it and it still was at zero and has been about six years and has not fogged or lost zero since. That is tough as it gets and worth the little extra money to me.