The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Nimitz87

Remington 870 LE synthetic

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870synthetic.htm

would this be a good home defense shotgun ? assuming a yes. im intersted in picking one of these up and as a Non LEO how do i get my hands on one?

how much do one of these costs?...

specifically looking at the 4449 model. w/ the speedfeed stock and wilson XS sites.

one thing that confuses me. is the capacity some say 2 shot ext while another says 7 shot ext.

exactly how many can it hold in the tube?....

Thanks

Chad
Old November 13, 2004, 07:05 PM   #2
9mmMike

All the LE guns are fab.
The 20" barrel'd models get a +3 extension (seven in the tube) and the 18" models get the +2 (six in the tube).
They are not restricted guns so you can get them anywhere that sells Remington although you usually have to ask them to order it.
Not sure about the price but I think they are 100 to 150 more than the non-LE models.
If you can afford one, I think they are nice. I buy used and build my own. In the end it probably costs about the same but I have a ton-o-fun on each project gun.
Good luck,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 13, 2004, 07:13 PM   #3
L-2

1. Try contacting a good gun shop in your area and see if they'll order that Remington model for you. There's no legal restriction on selling those models to someone non-LEO.
2. I'd estimate the price to be around $500 for #4449.
3. An 18" 870 without an extension has a 4+1 capacity (mag. + chamber). The 18" barrel allows for a +2 extension making the shotgun a 6+1, or 7 shot gun. A good +2 mag Parkerized mag extension can cost $40-$70.
The Remington-brand extension comes with a barrel clamp which has a sling swivel.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/178149
http://www.vangcomp.com/
4. Consider a sling $10-$50. Note, the Wilderness tac sling comes with a side-mount plate sewn on, unless you get the sling without the side-mount plate, while the Vangcomp and Scattergun/Wilson mag extensions come with a side mount plate. A Spectergear sling's front side-mount plate can be easily removed and not used if you already have a side-mount attached to a mag extension.
5. I think the model you're considering already has extra ammo carried in the stock so you won't need to get a side-saddle for ~$30.

Last edited by L-2; November 14, 2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old November 13, 2004, 07:20 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

You will possibly get some resistance when trying to buy a Police gun.

You'll likely hear stories that "Remington won't sell Police guns to Civilians".

Here's the problem: Your dealer orders guns from his wholesaler. NOT ALL Remington Wholesalers are Remington LAW ENFORCEMENT Wholesalers.
Many of them sell Commercial guns NOT LE guns.

In order to get a LE gun, your dealer has to find a Remington LE wholesaler, and for some dealers, this is just too much trouble.
He has to call around to find a Remington LE wholesaler, buy a money order, lick and stick an envelope, and hope the wholesaler still has the gun you want in stock by the time the check gets there.

Then too, some dealers have heard the stories that Remington won't sell Police guns to "Civilians", and haven't taken the trouble to find out for sure.

What you'll have to do, is hunt around for a FFL dealer who WILL go to the trouble to special order for you, or who is already connected with a Remington LE wholesaler.

Price will usually be full list price, no discounts.

However, for your trouble and money, you'll get the shotgun 95%-plus of all police agencies in America use.
The 870 Police is as good as it gets and well worth the effort.
Old November 14, 2004, 10:49 AM   #5
Nimitz87

thanks for the replies guys appreciate it.
Old November 14, 2004, 10:59 AM   #6
Cal4D4

Don't forget that Remington also offers a .308 carbine - the 7600 LE model with the same sights, safety and all as the shotgun. Just to make sure the bank acct doesn't get too full.