The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 21, 2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Ruger 44 mag

This carbine went out of production but is still a reliable deer killer.

TR

Old May 21, 2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Screwball

I got one about a year back... very nice rifle. It's a shame they don't do something like that anymore.
Old May 21, 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
Reloadron

The Ruger 44 Mag Carbine in the foreground with a Ruger 10/22 in the background. The 44 Mag carbine served me well on my deer hunting trips to W. VA. They are a nice fast handling little rifle.

Ron
Old May 21, 2017, 09:44 AM   #4
disseminator

Nice. I killed my first two deer with one of those when I was a kid.

I recently saw a few used ones at Cabelas and I can't believe what they are going for, $999 !!!
Old May 21, 2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Reloadron

Last one I saw had an asking price of $600 a few years ago. I think I got my first new in 1966 when I was 16. My mom worked for the department store and with her discount I thing including tax it was $120 and I repaid my parents at $30 a month over 4 months. I later sold that one and eventually ended up with the one I have today. They really were a great little rifle. Wow, hard to imagine $999 today for one.

Ron
Old May 21, 2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Screwball

I got mine, with a Boyd's stock and Weaver 4x scope for a little south of $600. Also came with the OEM stock, which was cracked at the rear of the receiver cutout.
Old May 21, 2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Hanshi

I've owned two of those little gems but couldn't seem to hang onto them.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Berserker

Never got rid of a gun I liked. Never understood that.

I see them for sale all the time. For hunting,I don't get it, unless restricted zone. Sure they will do it, but why not go big?

Nice for reloaders. My 1894 is fun. Very light, so would be good walking gun
Old May 22, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Reloadron

Quote:
Never got rid of a gun I liked. Never understood that.
Following my love of the gun and my younger days came 9 years of the Marine Corps and another 11 years working for DoD. Those years had me living globally and really nowhere to keep my guns and actually between a family and work little time to enjoy them. Life just had other priorities so my love of the gun took a lesser spot. Today I have replaced what I had and enjoy my collection. While I don't hunt anymore I still have my hunting rifles. There is one rifle which survived it all and that was a Remington Model 510P which was given to me by a friend of my uncle in 1958 when I was 8 years old. That little 22 was the gun which started it all. Thank goodness for dad & mom's house.

Anyway there are times when we get separated from the things we like including our guns.

Ron
Old May 22, 2017, 08:26 PM   #10
Berserker

Different people, do different things. I have been lucky, I don't need the money. Some people just sell guns. Some use money for next gun. I respect that, not me.

Some people sell guns.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:23 AM   #11
Jiggy300

I would like to find one in a model 96, I have 22 mag and 22 lr. Just need a 17 and 44 to complete it.
Old May 25, 2017, 07:14 PM   #12
44caliberkid

Iowa is going to allow rifles in straight wall cartridges approved for handgun hunting. So my brother found one of these on GunBroker and bought it.
Old May 25, 2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Reloadron

Quote:
Iowa is going to allow rifles in straight wall cartridges approved for handgun hunting. So my brother found one of these on GunBroker and bought it.
Ohio and several other Midwestern states did similar a few years ago which was a big improvement and so far it is going well. The no rifle rule is why I always went to W VA in the past. Figures now that I really don't hunt anymore Ohio changed their laws. Your brother did well finding himself one, they are a sweet little rifle.

Ron
Old May 26, 2017, 02:34 AM   #14
bamaranger

Ruger .44

Oh yeah, they sure will kill deer!!!!! I've got two of those little gems, one scoped, the other wears an XS peep set. I hunt the scoped rifle every year, this year it killed a 5pt at about 75 ds. A 200 gr HP tight behind the shoulder, yielded a pass through, and a short death sprint, much like other deer shot with other "real" deer calibers and hit similarly, This most recent .44 buck was just as dead as if I'd shot him with something "big".

Big typically means heavy too, and often long. I doubt my scoped .44 weighs much over 6 pounds, and the peep rifle likely 6 or less. Length is one inch over 3 feet.....37"!!! Toting a climbing stand, on grades, with no trail, much any distance, the tidy light rifle is much appreciated these days. My Dad's rifles all seemed to get shorter and lighter when I was a kid, now I realize why!!!!! Too, no need to go big if you don't have to, all my .44 kills, in fact most of my rifle kills period, have been well under 100 yds, many half that, and some half again, or less.

My only criticisms of the old Ruger .44 carbines was the slow twist rate (1-38") yielding sketchy accuracy in both my rifles, and the miserable trigger. Aside from that, both have been brick like reliable, using a variety of ammo and bullet weights.
Old May 26, 2017, 02:37 AM   #15
bamaranger

also

Hey Jack,

Sorry to hear that PA will not allow semi rifles in PA for deer next year, despite the hope that they would. Too bad. Your .44 could have seen some more use!!!
Old May 26, 2017, 06:37 AM   #16
stagpanther

Hard not to love anything in 44 mag. As a reloader it's one of my all-around favorites--doesn't get much simpler or more versatile.
Old May 26, 2017, 07:00 AM   #17
Berserker

Reloadron-Why would allowing handguns cartridges, make you want to hunt some where you wouldn't before? Nothing wrong with a scope shotgun.

As for PA, they are sad Unamerican people, that think they are special. People have been hunting with semi auto 30-06s since WW2. Bodies are not stacking up like cord wood. I know of no injuries that are a result of semi auto vs bolt. Poor handling and not identifying your target are the problem.
Old May 26, 2017, 07:44 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a scope shotgun
As long as you're willing to pound your shoulder to a pulp--I'd take 44 mag any day over my deer-grade 12 gauge shotshells/slugs.

I drive through PA frequently--I'd say it's one of the top roadkill states in the country.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:02 AM   #19
dahermit

Quote:
My only criticisms of the old Ruger .44 carbines was the slow twist rate (1-38") yielding sketchy accuracy in both my rifles, and the miserable trigger.
Add to that was the sometimes firing while out of battery. If I remember correctly, that is why Ruger originally stopped making them.

I owned a couple of them and did not experience the problem of firing while out of battery. The plus side was that they were very light and as such easy to carry. But, if I remember correctly, they did not come with sling swivels...a sling was something that comes very handy after killing a deer and having to use both hands to drag the deer out. In all, they were such handy little guns that they fit a natural niche for Michigan Whitetail hunting.

I have often posted about my opinion that Ruger has been most successful at copying (with small modifications, Single Action revolver, Mauser actions, Farquharson, etc.), rather than completely proprietary designs. My point being, when they re-introduced their .44 Carbine, the action was similar to that of the M1 Carbine (what they should have done in the first place)...a departure from their original, faulty design.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:21 PM   #20
natman

Quote:
But, if I remember correctly, they did not come with sling swivels...a sling was something that comes very handy after killing a deer and having to use both hands to drag the deer out.
My 44 carbine has swivels built into the barrel band and on the stock and they look very factory. Doesn't mean they all did.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:24 PM   #21
dahermit

Quote:
My 44 carbine has swivels built into the barrel band and on the stock and they look very factory. Doesn't mean they all did.
The early ones had metal butt plates also...the later ones, plastic.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:35 PM   #22
Reloadron

Quote:
Reloadron-Why would allowing handguns cartridges, make you want to hunt some where you wouldn't before? Nothing wrong with a scope shotgun.
Yeah, I know. Truth be known I think it was more a matter of looking forward to going to W VA every year. That was what my wife calls a "Ron trip". We would hunt during the day and drink during the nights. Ironically my good friend in W VA died of alcoholism. When I was a kid I did hunt Ohio but rabbit and pheasant mostly. I just never got into slugs for deer with a shotgun and wow, shotgun has come a long way since a "pumpkin ball".

Today at 67 I just enjoy days at the range and targets. Still have plenty of younger friends so I likely will never want for venison.

Quote:
As for PA, they are sad Unamerican people, that think they are special. People have been hunting with semi auto 30-06s since WW2. Bodies are not stacking up like cord wood. I know of no injuries that are a result of semi auto vs bolt. Poor handling and not identifying your target are the problem.
Yes, last I knew PA you could not hunt with a semi-automatic rifle. Never quite understood that.

Ron
Old May 27, 2017, 12:19 AM   #23
Tad_T

I have one of the Deerfield Model 99/44 carbines that was the later production. Mine dates from 2000.

I really like it.
Old May 27, 2017, 02:21 PM   #24
Berserker

PA recently either lost the vote,or was unable to get it on ballot to use semi auto rifles.

I feel sorry for them. Also have to tell the government who is at your camp and what gun they are using. It boggles my mind they live like that.

We go around world for freedom in craphole countriez, but forget about our own.

They think people will benjoy shooting banana clips and bodies dropping all.over. Despite browning 30-06s popular for years in rest of country.

Bothers me, that they are Americans.
Old May 27, 2017, 02:23 PM   #25
Berserker

As for shotgun slugs hurting your shoulder, not like you will be shooting all day. I got my first at 14 with 20 gauge. Some of you men should be able to handle it.

Not saying against 44. I have a lever. But if I couldn't use one, it wouldn't force me to go elsewhere.