The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 11, 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
kruuth

Question about Remington 11-87 and Winchester loads

I've got a Remington 11-87 and so far it's digested all the ammo I put through it. Last Sunday I tried a box of Winchester Heavy Target loads and it looks as though they're not cycling. I had to take the barrel off to get them out when they did. Is this an issue with the ammunition? The O-ring seems to be in perfect shape. I've also put probably put 2k or more Estate branded rounds through it with no problems.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:26 AM   #2
L-2

I don't know about this specific ammo and your specific 11-87, but do ensure the barrel's gas port holes are clear. You can use a drill bit or even just a bent paper clip to keep the holes clean/clear.

When the holes get obstructed, there would be less gas pressure to cycle the bolt.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:27 AM   #3
kruuth

I think that they are. After I had jams with the Winchester I went and shot four rounds of clays with it without a malfunction with different ammo
Old May 11, 2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Virginian

Steel based Winchester ammo is notorious for causing issues. I have seen Mossbergs, Remingtons, Winchesters, and even a BPS being beat on the ground when they stick in the chamber.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:11 AM   #5
kruuth

I see. This is the first time I ran into this. Normally I use an 870. Is there a fix or, baring that, a recommendation for cheap 7.5 shot?

OBTW, these are winchester heavy lead load, not steel if that makes any difference
Old May 12, 2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Virginian

The Federal value packs at WalMart are usually the same price.
If your chamber is clean and polished - no one polishes chambers like they used to - the gun should run even the Universals. All my 1100s and 11-87 would, even though they ripped half the shell bases ejecting them they did cycle fine.
A lot of people wrap a bore brush with steel wool and burnish the chamber with that, but I have had limited success with that method. I have had 100% success using an automotive drum brake wheel cylinder hone. It removed all the ridges and or high spots. It will not remove too much material.