The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 2, 2017, 08:09 AM   #1
HoustonBob

Super X Hyper Velocity Better than Velocitor?

My chronograph tests of both CCI's Velocitor and Super X Hyper Velocity show the Super X actually reaching or exceeding the stated muzzle velocity of 1435 fps out of my Marlin 795 while Velocitors fall about 65 fps below their rated speed. I also see no significant differences in accuracy between the two rounds.

The Super X bullet has a higher G1 ballistic coefficient than the Velocitor's bullet; Super X 1.40, Velocitor 1.32. Both are copper plated hollow point rounds.

When you add in the fact that the Super X Hyper Velocity round is significantly less expensive than the Velocitor - (Midway prices) Super X Hyper Velocity $10.49 for 100 rounds, Velocitor $7.39 for 50 rounds - the scale tilts even more toward the Super X.

Now I realize that there are a lot of shooters who won't touch anything with the Super X name on it, and rightfully so; Super X in the past has been pretty much the worst .22 ammo available. HOWEVER... Super X Hyper Velocity is not your Dad's Super X. The Super X Hyper Velocity's quality in the 10 boxes of each I have shot has been right there with the CCI Velocitor - maybe one dud in 100 rounds for each.

In my opinion Super X Hyper Velocity deserves a lot more attention than it has been given. Kudos to the Winchester design, and production teams, in producing a first class .22 varmint round. Clearly the CCI Velocitor was the target for Winchester with this round, and they appear to have hit the bulls eye.

One caution: the packaging on the Super X Hyper Velocity is almost identical to the Super X High Velocity packaging - check carefully to make sure you are getting the Hyper Velocity (1435 fps) round if you decide to try it.

Last edited by HoustonBob; May 2, 2017 at 08:15 AM.