The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Shooter2675

What caliber for my flintlock/percussion cap build?

I am planning on building either a flintlock or a percussion cap rifle. I want to use it for primitive style hunting, primarily of rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes. From what I've read, the .32 round ball would be good for squirrel but not coyote, and the .40 round ball would be good for coyote but maybe too big for squirrel. That's why I was looking at the .36 caliber for my new rifle, because I was hoping I could hunt all the animals I listed above with it. Also, I don't want to do too fur damage to the coyote furs.

Any opinions on the power of the .36 for the animals I listed and also any information on load data and velocity data for .36 round balls would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John
Old April 16, 2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Pahoo

JMHO

IMHO,
While the .32 seems ideal For squirrels, I found it harder support and work with compared to the larger calibers. In my early years, I hunted all game with a .50. As gun-money improved, I now use a .36 for squirrel and can still take a Coyote as the opportunity, arises. I don't own a .40 but if I were going to build a new one, it would be a .40, slow twist. .....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 16, 2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Old Stony

I've owned and shot most of the round ball calibers, and the 40 has become one of my favorites. It's easy to vary the powder levels, so you don't have to punch big holes in squirrels, and the difference in diameter of the round balls is not that much. The 40 is a great target caliber also....
Old April 16, 2017, 07:54 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

First - you your are going to use it in your state for "primitive hunts" - check with your DNR to see if there is a "minimum caliber" for RB hunting. If you hunt deer in MI, I believe it is a minimum of 45 caliber IIRC.

As far as the other game you list - I've taken a lot of squirrels, rabbits, etc. with .32, .36 and even some husky woodchucks as well. If I personally were going to build another one for small game, I'd go with a .40 as it is a good "all around" caliber - but that's just my opinion. It's not too big for squirrels, rabbits, etc. and wold certainly take a coyote at a reasonable distance. After all, between the three calibers, you're talking .310, .350 and .390 round ball - not such a terribly large variation.

I'm 65 and my fingers just don't work as well as they used to for .32 due to the small ball size. I have a .36 under hammer and just the small difference in ball size makes a world of difference when it comes to me "fumbling" with my fingers to load. For squirrels, etc., it will do the job just fine but when I used to hunt tree rats. I didn't shoot unless I could get a good head shot - sometimes I was lucky, other times I missed!

I made several full stock rifles (42" barrel - Green Mountain barrels) in 36 using a 13/16" barrel - they were good rifles. My brother made a full stock with a 42" G barrel in .40 and it is a well balanced rifle and a great shooter for both game and target. I liked it so much that I have a .50 GM 42" barrel in my "stash" that eventually I'll make a full stock "poor boy" with and use a small Siler flintlock with it.

It kind of all boils down to what "you" like and what you'll use it for. A lot may also depend of if you already have a barrel or if you can find one in the caliber you want. Either the .36 or the .40 would be good and at the right distances, a .36 with good shot placement should take a a coyote down if you have enough "oomph" behind it.

Another thing to consider - a .36 will require a 5/16" ramrod while the .40 will allow you to use a 3/8" ramrod. In the field, the larger 3/8" ramrod with the .40 allows you to shove the round home without too much worry of a broken ramrod in the field. A 5/16" ramrod - not as "hefty" and more chance of "bowing" while loading and possible breakage - don't ask me how I know that!

Another option, if you can afford it, would be to make you rifle so you could have interchangeable barrels - a smaller caliber for small game and a larger caliber if you intend to hunt deer with it. Just remember that a larger caliber will mean a greater measurement across the barrel flats so you'd have to find a small caliber barrel the same size which wold of course add weight to the rifle with a small caliber barrel on it. And of course the diameter of the ramrod will have to be so it cold be used on both calibers.

Good luck to you and have fun! Nothing like the feeling of accomplishment in making you own rifle!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 17, 2017, 06:42 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

I've asked this too, and some say the .32 cal ball does fine on coyotes, but others have had different outcomes. Maybe it's the size of the coyotes as some have crossed with wolves and dogs.

I've also wondered about using a conical for larger game than squirrel and rabbit.

I wouldn't be building one though so I'd likely be stuck with a Crockett as I don't have a lot of money to put into a muzzleloader.
Old April 17, 2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I've asked this too, and some say the .32 cal ball does fine on coyotes, but others have had different outcomes. Maybe it's the size of the coyotes as some have crossed with wolves and dogs.
Maybe it's location. Eastern coyotes are bigger than western coyotes but western coyote pelts bring 2-4 times what an eastern pelt will depending on weight.