The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 25, 2012, 02:18 PM   #1
603Country

Can't get the Tikka I want - but still trying

Frustration...After finally deciding on that Tikka T3 Stainless Lite MT in 260 Remington, I set about trying to find one. I guess they don't offer that caliber anymore, because nobody I've talked to can order one. So...I thought I'd just get the Sako 85 Stainless Finnlight in 260. That rifle comes in that caliber. But...that's imported by only Sako, and Beretta supplied dealers can't get it. The fact that Beretta owns Sako which owns Tikka has no impact on this for some reason. Beretta supplied dealers can only get the A7, but that doesn't come in 260. So I finally found a Sako supplied seller and yes, he can get the Sako 85, but after some work on his part, he says that they can't order Sako at this time. Whew! Like the Rolling Stones sang, "you can't always get what you want". My brain hurts....
Old November 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
alex0535

Try being left handed...

Remington makes 3 model 700 in left hand, none of which are the one I want. If i get one I am looking at replacing everything except the action.

When asking about a Tikka T3 in left hand... Told minimum wait of 3 months.

Pretty much my shooting hand has decided that I am going to be getting a Savage because no one else makes what I need in a rifle.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
taylorce1

Like I said on your other thread rebarrel it! If you want a Tikka and they don't make it, find someone who will. I'd take a M7 or 700 over the Tikka though if I was going to build it, I know the Tikka's have a reputation for shooting but if I was going to run a short action cartridge it would be on a short action not a long.

Right now there is a sweet M7 in .260 on Gunbroker and its stainless steel and synthetic. Buy it now is $750 and you have a little over two hours to decide if you want it. There are several Savage .260's as well in and a few in stainless synthetic, but I'd choose the M7 over the Savage.

Though if I really had the money I'd drop it on the Cooper Excalibur, but for $2200 I can build a lot of gun.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4
603Country

Taylor, your advice is good, and it looks like I can't get a new Tikka in 260 so I'll have to go to plan B or C. Plan B is to further investigate the Sako 85 Stainless Finnbear. Plan C would be to just have the existing rifle rebarrelled and have the action 'tuned up'. The fallback position is to just leave the rifle as-is and be happy with it. I could go for a Model 7, but that's really not much of a change from what I'm shooting now, so I can't see much logic in doing that. Thanks to you guys for putting up with my whining and complaining. Geez, I wanted a new rifle....and it's almost Christmas and my wife 'owes me one'.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
taylorce1

What was the Tikka going to offer better than what you are currently shooting if the M7 doesn't fit the bill?

If you have to have a T3 Lite here is the next best thing to a .260 Rem.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
603Country

I have to admit that you've asked a good question. I'm just going on personal preferences, and that's all. I've got the Ruger, which I prefer over Remington, so I don't have any incentive to switch to the Model 7. The Tikka just appeals to me, and I want to give one a try. That said, and since I probably can't get one in the caliber I want, the Sako 85 would be my top preference, but I'm not sure what price I'd have to pay to get one. I am amazed at how difficult it has been to find the right people to even talk to on the Sako 85. It appears to me, right or wrong, that Sako is trying to market that rifle through only exclusive upscale sellers. If that's correct, they are trying to maintain high prices, so it'll be tough to find one that's affordable.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7
trublu

Sure they make the T3 lite in .260 remington. tikka specs

Mustn't export to the USA ? Can get one easily here in Australia. Although I would be tempted to get one in 6.5x55 as has already been mentioned....
Old November 26, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
603Country

I had a store guy on the phone yesterday when he was trying to find me the 260. He was on the computer as we spoke, and when he entered the desired caliber, he got a 'not available' response. I asked him to plug in 308, just to see if the system was working properly, and he got an 'available' response instantly. And yes, the Tikka website shows the 260 as an available caliber, but I assume that is old data. Somehow...it seems to me that it shouldn't be this tough to buy a rifle.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #9
awpk03s

I wanted to have my local gun shop order a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06 in LEFT HAND. They told me the rifle didn't exist. It was a unicorn.

I even gave them the manufacturer's item number.

I hung up and ordered it from Buds, and shipped it to them for the transfer.

My Tikka T3 is a fantastic rifle.

Old November 29, 2012, 09:45 AM   #10
603Country

I didn't try Bud's, but now I will.

After doing no good in the Tikka hunt, I switched to hunt for a Sako stainless/synthetic in 260 and had absolutely no luck at all. The guy at the high dollar dealer said he couldn't even order it. Said he could get blued Sako's and Tikka's, but not stainless. That doesn't sound right, but I didn't argue. Wish me luck at Bud's.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:22 AM   #11
trublu

Meant to post this earlier...I am amazed that there is a firearm I can own here that isn't available in the US. It's a Tikka lite stainless in .260 Remington with Warne medium rings and Zeiss conquest 3-9x40. Set up as my ultimate hunting rifle. Amazingly accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130502_161301.jpg (222.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20130502_161028.jpg (245.5 KB, 23 views)
Old May 2, 2013, 08:48 AM   #12
603Country

That's exactly the rifle I wanted. I tried and tried to buy a new one here in the US and finally I gave up. Maybe I should try again. Maybe something has changed and now they could be available.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #13
trublu

The only downside is the magazine - which means I can only load to a max OAL of (just shy of) 2.80. In many ways, it would make more sense to get this rifle in 6.5x55 since it is a long action. But you can get higher capacity mags in .260 than 6.5x55 and I already had the dies for .260 etc. Really to all intents and purposes 6.5x55 and .260 are identical.

It is a light rifle - about 3.3kg scoped and loaded but very comfortable to shoot with 140gr 6.5mm projectiles. And being cheap, doesn't matter if it gets dropped or scratched in the woods. Very popular rifles here in Australia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130502_160254.jpg (154.6 KB, 15 views)