The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 8, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
taylorce1

Savage Anschutz deal or no deal?

In my quest for a .22 LR bolt action I stumbled across a Savage Anschutz 164 Sporter with Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 AO today for $750. Good deal or not? I would rate the wood and metal at 90% or better.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 8, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2
natman

Considering that it comes with a ~$500 scope, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:08 PM   #3
johnbt

It sounds like a $500 gun with a $400 scope to me. I've always liked them.

I see Cabela's wants $795 for just the gun. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sav...n_id=100276155
Old October 8, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
taylorce1

Well I got it and even haggled a better price. Just had to convince the wife it was a good deal. Wasn't exactly the rifle style I wanted but I think I'll be happy with it.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
taylorce1

I think it is a pretty good looking rifle with some decent wood.

I went and shot it this morning it was pretty close to dead on at 100 yards with CCI Blazer ammo. Managed to hit little 2.5" flippers about 75% of the time in a stiff wind. I think the scope is a little much might look for a VX2 EFR 3-9 Rimfire scope and put that 4.5-14 on one of my varmint rifles.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Slamfire

Very nice rifle and great deal!.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
WIL TERRY

YEARS AGO, I had one of those, a seriously accurate 22 field rifle. Matter of fact I never missed a shot with it on squirrels, groundhogs, crows , nor any other varmint in serious need of a bullet hole. Believe it or not the ONLY reason I ever sold it was the fact it had the ugliest blond walnut stock you EVER saw in your life. The damn thing looked like it'd been cut out of a canoe paddle. Sold it, bought a new Marlin M39 Mountie and never looked back nor ever missed that Savage-Anschutz 22 a lick. The Mountie was finely accurate too with that slick little leveraction that us cowboys just cannot get enough of...
And so it goes...
Old October 11, 2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Picher

If I'd seen it first, it would have been mine!!! Great rifle!
Old October 11, 2012, 06:30 PM   #9
taylorce1

It wasn't exactly what I was looking for I had been looking for an old CMP .22 trainer. However when I saw that rifle I was easily persuaded to change my mind.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Rainbow Demon

Years ago I bought a Savage .22 autoloader on sale dirt cheap. The autoloader turned out to be defective so I took it back to the store to exchange it.
They had sold out of the autoloaders so they offered me a Savage bolt action instead for the same low price.
It turned out to be one of the last they had on hand that had the older style adjustable trigger without the trigger safety they seem to put on all of these now days. Also when unpacking it I found a scope under one of the cardboard spacers, so I got a free scope as well.

The action of this Savage looks like that of the Savage Anschutz, but IIRC the Anschutz has a lefthand lug as well as the bolt root lug of my cheaper model.

Its hard to see how any rifle could be more accurate than my Savage, its so accurate and easy to shoot that theres really no challenge to hitting whatever I aim at within the practical range of the .22 RF.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:22 AM   #11
natman

This gun IS an Anschutz. It has nothing in common with any gun made by Savage, other than the name stamped on the barrel, which is only there because Savage imported Anschutz for a while.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #12
thinkingman

I bought one two years ago in mint condition with a Leup M3-7 on no-name mounts.
Shoots like a dream.
Spotless.
Wish I got a nice, dark walnut stock like yours...Mine's kind of blond and not so pretty.
It IS an Anschutz.
I am shopping rear sights to replace the fold-down blade.
Thinking Williams FP aperture.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:12 AM   #13
taylorce1

I'm excited to shoot this rifle more than I have. I've already been able to get very acceptable accuracy out of it at 100 yards with groups around 2" with cheap CCI Blazer ammo. I am going to have to pull the scope as it is just too large for what I want on a .22 lr.