The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
bekellog

Remington model 31 problems

I just pruchased an old remington 31 and it feels like trigger is stuck and will not do a thing. Im gonna try to see if i can look at it tonight and see the problem. Anyone have any ideas?? Is there something i should look for, or does it sound like a lost cause?? The gun cycles and feels tight, just the trigger doesnt feel right

Thanks
Old February 27, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
zippy13

Start with the basics, is the safety off?
Old February 27, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
bekellog

Ya im pretty sure the saftey is off, seems to be the standard set up like an 870--It almost feels like a spring is broken or something, i guess it may be related to the saftey??? Im hoping that it can be fixed
Old February 27, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
30-30remchester

I havent owned and disassembled a model 31 in years but I do remember the basics. First, you own one of the finest, best designed pump guns ever built. Next, anything built will eventually break and most everthing can be fixed. Simply remove the trigger group and investigate. Parts should be redially available.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #5
bekellog

Thanks 30-30, Last night when i bought it, i was impressed by how it felt when i shouldered it, I will investigate and see what i find, im kinda wondering when i may have been built--where would i find this out??
Old February 27, 2012, 10:19 PM   #6
30-30remchester

Remingtons dating system was designed by a person who could not think of any way to make it more complicated. A truly bizzare system. On the left side of the barrel is some markings near where the reciever and barrel meet. Example, bww. When you find these marking go to google and type in Remington dating system and a website for Remington will pop up and will decypher the lettering. The first letter is the month and the second set of letters or single letter is the year. Then to further complicate matters Remington reused the same letters in later years so you must know the years your model was produced.
Old February 28, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's easy to date any fairly modern Remington.

1-800-243-9700. That's the service number. Work through the phone tree until a live person talks to you. Give them the serial number and they'll give you the born on date.

As to fixing one, I'm lost. Perhaps Simmons Guns can help. They're better known for Model 12 work but they must have seen a few 31s also....
Old February 28, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8
zippy13

I recall hearing of a pump gun that, when trigger group was re-assembled, if the bolt and/or hammer wasn't in the correct orientation it raised havoc. The R-31 may have its own foibles. My old copy of Firearms Assembly: The NRA Guide to Rifles and Shotguns comments about the R-31:
When reassembling the mainspring, mainspring follower, safety spring, and safety plunger, it will facilitate reassembly to insert these parts first. Then, after replacing the mainspring pin, and using a short length of wood dowel to compress the safety plunger, re-insert the safety. This method is converse to logical procedure—that is, first replacing the safety, then spring-loaded parts.
Someone could have had trouble reinstalling the safety, given up, and sold the gun. Unfortunately, the owner's manual doesn't have dis/re-assembly instructions; but, if you don't have a manual, for a .pdf, click here and select the Model 31.

Last edited by zippy13; February 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Tried to fix bad link.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:24 PM   #9
bekellog

thanks for the info zippy13, This will help when I get a chance to take a looke at it!!!! I really appreciate it