The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Have gun - will travel - need load for 25-06

Just acquired Remington 700 25-06.
Wll be using it next spring for varmit shooting in Montana.
Change use my 223 for up to 300 yds. but am hoping the 25-06 will go out farther.
Anybody worked up a good load for such a gun?
Need a place to start.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
HoraceHogsnort

Get yourself a good reloading manual such as the Speer or Hornady. Asking for loading data on the Great Disinformation Hiway is asking for trouble unless you go to those sites especially dedicated to that purpose, and even there some judgement is called for.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
saudst

26/06 varmit blaster

Swede.

I have had my 25/06 700 BDL for 26yrs. and shoot ground hogs and crows here in Ohio with it and love this caliber for long range shooting. I shot the barrel out of it about 12 years ago and got a gunsmith here to do a great job rebarreling with a 27" Shillen. I used to shoot the 100gr. Speer HP and was great for hogs. When Hornady came out with the 75gr. V-Max, the first 3 shots went into a 3/8" cluster and I never tried another bullet. These things are explosive and accurate. My curent load is 58.5grns. H4831 SC, but you need to work up from 56grns. as this is .5grns. above max but safe in my gun.

I beleive the factory barrel is 22", this gives me a 5" advantage, which would explain why I am getting 3780-3840 fps. with this load, and if you do the calculations, shoots as flat as a 22-250. If you try this combo, let us know how it does for you. If it shoots as good in your gun, you'll love it for varmits. Remember to work up.

Tim.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Big Caliber

I believe that Hogdon powder has a website that will have listings for your needs.
Old November 5, 2008, 05:05 AM   #5
tkofoid

my absolute great load is the 100 grain nosler ballistic tip in front of 51 1/2 grains of IMR4350, cci BR primer. Super accurate in my Tikka. Kills anything from PDs to deer.
Old November 5, 2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I'm using the 75 grain Vmax and the 87 grain Sierra Varminter. For the Vmax my rifle likes the second lowest load in the Hornady book. For the Sierra it likes the second highest load in their book.

You can now get the "Complete Reloading Manual for the .25-06" (or most other calibers) which contains data from most reloading manuals. This paperback book runs about $8 and is a great source for data.

That said, you should still have at least two actual reloading manuals on hand, one from a powder company and one from a bullet company. These have detailed information on reloading techniques and safety that the paperback book doesn't have.
Old November 5, 2008, 04:20 PM   #7
10 Spot Terminator

Give this one a whirl. Nosler 85gr CT Ballistic Silvertip Varmit powered by almost a max load ( 56.5gr. ) of RL-19 for 3500 fps and sub moa at 200 yds.,,, Fast, Accurate and greatly reduced fouling due to their patented Lubalox coating of the bullets . Whats not to like ???