The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 26, 2008, 05:23 PM   #1
davlandrum

Bow hunting elk this weekend

Bow season starts in Oregon this weekend, and I will be off crawling up and down the green hell that we call the coast in search of Roosevelt elk (wiki: also known as Olympic elk, is the largest of the four surviving subspecies of elk in North America.).

Only going for the weekend this time, but am taking the entire 3rd week of the season of for extended hunting.

I am sooooo keyed up to go, I think I am vibrating!!!!!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 26, 2008, 10:20 PM   #2
elkman06

Ok, gotta ask, since I have asked this before and got what I consider to be inadequate type answers. How big is this monster of which you speak? How much does a fully grown, mature, 6x6 bull weigh in at? Also, same for a lead cow. Also, what is the most,,,elevation wise, you will be gaining from where you live?
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old August 27, 2008, 09:46 AM   #3
davlandrum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_elk

Here is the Wiki link

Quote:
Elk bulls generally weigh between 700 and 1100 lb (300–500 kg) while cows weigh 575–625 lb (260–285 kg).[
(source Wikipedia).

They have bigger bodies, but smaller antlers (generally) than Rocky Mountain Elk.

I assume that smaller racks are just easier to get through the thick stuff.

Area we hunt is cow or 3 pt or better bull. In the extended family/friends that I know up there, I would SWAG we have taken 80-90% cows.

Elevation from where I live is only about 2,000 ft. It is in the Coast Range of mountains in western Oregon.

I have actually seen elk on the beach before

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 27, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4
taylorce1

Good luck on the hunt expect to see pics if you get one on the ground!
Old August 27, 2008, 02:15 PM   #5
davlandrum

Taylor - Will do, thanks!

Only "down side" to this year is my hunting buddy dropped a lot of wieght, and I am afraid he is going to walk me into the ground!!!!

Old September 2, 2008, 10:15 AM   #6
davlandrum

Back from opening weekend. Did not see one elk, but only had Saturday and Sunday morning before we had to roll back. My mom's husband got one Sunday evening - cow, after we rolled out.

Elk were not moving, no one was seeing any until that cow got arrowed.

Did see the biggest black bear I have seen in the woods. Rough guess, around 300 pounds. Ears looked like little marshmellows stuck on its head.

2 weeks at work, then hunting for the whole week.

Old September 2, 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
gedenke

dave, a few "arrow's flight" inland, but the reports are not much different here. My buddy saw one cow and passed on it. Too early in the season for girls. He did however, while calling for elk, bring in a cougar, but not close enough to get a shot unfortunately. Like I said before, watch the ol' keester!

Oh, yeah, if you do happen to collar one, make sure you give me a holler, and I'll come help you drag it out! J/K!
Old September 2, 2008, 03:52 PM   #8
davlandrum

I actually wasn't too sad I missed out on the cow retrieval. He shot it at 6:15 p.m., bad hit, found it at 3 a.m. then had to get it out...

Don't get me wrong, I would have helped if I was there, but am really glad I wasn't there

We use a chain saw winch to get them to where we can get a line on them and use a rope and snatch block to get them to the road. Oh, the benefits of all those old logging roads...

Old September 2, 2008, 03:57 PM   #9
crowbeaner

You lucky DAWG! I'd almost give a testicle to go elk hunting! I'll never have the moolah, time or stamina to get out west and go. Pictures, please!
Old September 2, 2008, 05:55 PM   #10
davlandrum

Crow - All you got to do is uproot your family and move to a state that has elk, pretty simple....

Seriously, I don't have the money to do the guided thing either, although me and my buddy are saving our pennies to do one in the next few years, horse pack in, archery, bugling bulls, etc.

I will say we are lucky to have "low-land" elk. Highest point where we hunt is about 2,500 ft, most of the unit is around 2,000 or less.

Not much to see in my pictures, until I get one down. It is Douglas Fir forest, thick vegatation, and everything is either straight up or straight down, except the logging roads.

Pics from this weekend would have been pretty funny, as we just threw a blue tarp over the ATV trailer for a camp. Seriously "Beverly Hillbillies".

Old September 2, 2008, 09:34 PM   #11
crowbeaner

Yeah, I can relate. We use a blue tarp for a rainfly for our 8x10 tent; it helps keep the snow off the roof. Last year I went to bed at dark and it had just started snowing in earnest. It got real quiet around 11 PM and I thought it stopped. WRONG. I woke up to 16" and had to beat my way out of the tent; I thought the top was going to break! At least the deer don't seem to mind the blue color. I may upgrade to a silver one this fall; you know, interior design and all. It'll match the tent color better.
Old September 3, 2008, 07:21 AM   #12
gedenke

Good idea, it's very important to color-coordinate your tent! Same reason why you must have all matching camo...the animals CAN tell!