The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 10, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
bluscaster

Help dating an FN High Power ?

Hello,
I am new to the forum, and I was wondering if someone could assist me in dating an old Fabrique Nationale Herstale Belgique High Power pistol that my uncle "liberated " from a defeated adversary while serving in a halftrack outfit in Europe during the second World War.It was probably confiscated from a civilian by the German soldier that my uncle bested , since it bears no military proofmarks(Eagles, swastikas,etc.).The thing must be rather early because it has only 4 digits in the serial number.It is marked 87xx.Any help in establishing a date of manufacture would be greatly appreciated.Thanks .
bluscaster
Old March 10, 2005, 06:42 PM   #2
dolanp

Dinner and a movie usually works.

*ba dum ching*

(sorry I can't help your real question)
Old March 10, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
USP45usp

Blue, PM or email Stephen Camp, he may be able to help. Or wait until he comes onto the board .

As for my original content of the post i wanted to make, dolanp bet me to it .

Wayne
Old March 10, 2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Jungle Work

The High Power pistol was designed by John Moses Browning and manufactured by Fabrique Nationale (FN) in Herstal, Belgium. The Belgians were first armed forces to adopt the High Power as an official sidearm, they did this in 1935. Between 1935 and the German capture of the FN factory on May 29, 1940 contracts were filled for the armed forces of several countries including Belgium, China, Peru, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Sweden and France.

From the plant's seizure by the Germans in May of 1940 to its liberation in September of 1944, over 319,000 High Powers pistols were manufactured for the German Wehrmacht. The first several thousand pistols were made up from captured parts and had a high polish finish, a shoulder stock slot cut into the rear grip strap and tangent rear sight. To speed production, the Germans eliminated the shoulder stock slot and then the tangent sight at about serial number 145000. As production continued, the quality of finish was reduced to dull blue over a progressively less polished metal. The Germans used three Waffenenamt stamps on High Power pistols:

Eagle over WaA613
Eagle over WaA103
Eagle over WaA140.

Yearly production of High Power pistols under German occupation was as follows:

1940..................... 8,500
1941..................... 65,700
1942..................... 80,600
1943..................... 101,200
1944..................... 63,000

Nazi Proofed High Power pistols are in the $300 to $700 range depending on condition.
just some info I found.

Jungle Work