The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2012, 06:26 AM   #76
edteach

I to had a Taurus 709 and sold it because of the trigger and the jamming problem they seem to have. The slim had a trigger like the Kahr, even though the trigger on the Kahr was smooth its way too long. I also have a Glock and M&P and both are like the SR9 short crisp triggers, I added a ghost bar to my G26 and its even better. I added also front and rear Hi Viz sights to my G26 and what a difference that made. The one thing on a Glock I hate is the sights.

I bought a front Hi Viz sight for my SR9c. Well its off to the range today to put the SR thought its paces. I have about 150 rounds of lead hand loads I just finished and will see how she eats them. My M&P and Glock run them fine.I know the G26 has a type of poly rifling and its not the best but I only run a few and then clean it well.

I clean every gun I shoot after every trip to the range. The SR also fits the holster for the Kahr better than the Kahr did. So I don't feel there will be any difference in the conceal-ability of the SR over the Kahr.

The Ruger seems to be a bit heftier built than the Kahr, but who knows, I have heard people say they have two or three thousand rounds through a CW and it may be a good design. Its not from me.
Old August 9, 2012, 06:31 AM   #77
edteach

Justice I understand and hope no more hi jacks of this thread. I have always felt if you don't like a thread you did not start you don't have to post on it and troll things up. My opinions are not gong to be the same as everyone else's and its good they are not. What a boring place if every one thought the same. Some people think polymer guns are the dumbest thing since Xrays to see if your shoes fit well Others feel if its not a Colt 1911 its a waste of time. I like all guns, but some are not for me.

I know the XD series from Springfield has a great rep and people love them, not me, they look to me like a toy and I hate the high bore axis. I would take a Glock any day, not saying if you like the XD its a bad gun its just not for me. I do love a Colt 1911 though. LOL
Old August 9, 2012, 07:09 AM   #78
Dashunde

This not your thread - never was - you simply crapped on the end of it back on June 29 with your big windy diatribe titled "Kahr Sucks".
Then returned yesterday and revived the thread to tell us how the gun functions perfectly - yet you STILL have complaints.

Now you want to act all innocent, mature, and "hope no more hi jacks of this thread".
You fool, this thread was dead back on June 29th... then you showed up again.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #79
edteach

Back again trolling I see. I thought we had to go on "without you"? so much for that bit of hope.

You know I loved your PM telling me to F off. LOL and who is the juvenile?

You keep saying that you are walking away but you don't, I think you like controversy and actually thrive on it.

Can you just go away and leave posts you don't like alone?

What would it take for you to go away? I tell you what I will buy you a Popsicle if you just go away, or give you a quarter to go out side and leave the adults alone.
Old August 9, 2012, 11:39 AM   #80
Wishoot

Back on topic sort of...

If you're looking for something that's small, light and comfortable to carry, you should add an LC9 to this list.

I have no problems with Kahr's, I just feel the LC9 is as good of a gun at a much better price. The Glock is a great choice, but just too big to easily conceal IMO. I have no experience with a Taurus and never will.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:17 PM   #81
Tactical Jackalope

LMFAO

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / G30 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old August 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #82
edteach

Got back from the range with the SR9C. Shot well no problems, Its point of aim is a bit to the right. I will try to take it out when the HI Viz sight arrives and I put it on. A bit to the left should make it hit point of aim. Nice gun and trigger is much better than the Kahr.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:38 PM   #83
Tactical Jackalope

Just got myself a CW9...Should be here in a few days. I bet this thread will be locked by then. So I won't be able to post here..Oh well. Maybe it won't be locked?

Anyways, been looking up reviews on it on YouTube..where I saw that post above from "edteach" lol huge coincidence. Started research here then hit the Tube...That was funny catching that. Literally laugh out loud.

Heard that the back grip is a pain in the ass for those who shoot it a lot. I always shoot a lot. Last range trip was 500rds out of my new SIG 1911 xo..Go big! *flexes*

Anyways, think I may stipple the darn thing or something...I'll see after I shoot it. I mean I have 5pli grips on my 1911 and that wasn't bad at all. So this Kahr should be cake.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #84
Pukindog12

I got a CW9 a few months back and was so impressed with this little gem that I purchased another and sold my PF9 within a week (which also was a good pistol).

They may not be for everyone, but for me they are the epitome of a great carry gun.

To Constantine: Try a Hogue Handall Jr. Both my CW9s wear them and they work well.

Last edited by Pukindog12; August 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #85
edteach

Don't really see what is funny about posting a reply on YT, but what ever gets you off. The hogue is a must for the CW, the aggressive friction ridges are sharp and uncomfortable. Plus its a bit too thin unless you have girl hands. I have been carrying my new SR9c and its not much difference to the CW. My CW was fine, the last one that is. They seem to be hit and miss but what company does not have its problems, The CW is not for me but what ever floats your boat.
Old August 10, 2012, 05:55 PM   #86
edteach

Picked up a Hi Viz for the SR9 and installed it. Went on easy enough. I love the Hi Viz. I don't know if they make them for the Kahr but I have not found them. I think this was a good trade. Kahr may be for some but not for me. I think I would buy a Colt Mustang before I bought another Kahr.
Old August 13, 2012, 03:04 PM   #87
plom

I had a Kahr K9 and a CW9... The pistols were good but the mags were crap... As long as I stufed them with FMJ there was no problem, but with Hollow points I could not load it with 7 rounds... I tryed many different without success, even changed the springs... never had this problem with my glock 26...
Old August 13, 2012, 03:42 PM   #88
edteach

I have heard several people complain about the followers breaking or cracking. I talked with one guy at the range a week ago that said the bottom cracked and fell off. I have not had any problems with the mags except that the CW9 only came with one. Kahr acts like they are just offering you a less expensive gun, how much does it cost Kahr for a mag? 8 bucks? 10? So add ten bucks to the gun and save people the trouble of shopping for a second mag. Its a stupid way of saving money.

My personal opinion is that all the supposed savings they use to say its a way of saving money, is a way of saving face and dropping the price of their way over priced guns. By saying we want to get people who can not afford a high quality Kahr, the ability to buy one of our guns, we did XY&Z to make them more affordable. I don't believe that by making the corners of the slide camphor instead of an OG, and dropping a mag, and doing standard rifling instead of poly takes a gun that sells for 800 to 360.

Even though its a marketing scam IMO, its a way to keep selling guns over priced to those who are dumb enough to spend more money on something they are not getting, and also capture some of the market where people actually want something for their money. This is why I never looked at Kahr in the first place. I never saw their guns as being worth what they were asking for them.

How is a Kahr PM worth 750 but a Glock 26 is 499? Look at the Rorbough 9mm. asking price is 1000 or more. I mean what the heck do they do to make it worth that kind of money? Is it gold inside? Its too small to handle well for a 9mm. I have held them and I have med. hands. Its about the size of a TCP and I have watched people shoot them and the range and they almost jump out of their hands. Its almost like the joke on SNL where they kept making the phones smaller until you needed a tooth pick stylus to punch the numbers.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:07 PM   #89
Dashunde

Quote:
I had a Kahr K9 and a CW9... The pistols were good but the mags were crap... As long as I stufed them with FMJ there was no problem, but with Hollow points I could not load it with 7 rounds
Kahr doesnt have the greatest 7-rounders, mine acted up too, mostly a nose-dive into the bottom of the feed ramp.
I sent the 7-rounder into them with a polite note explaining and requesting a 6-rounder instead.
The new mag showed up in about a week and my PM9 has been 100% on both 6-rounders after many boxes of fmj and 4 or 5 boxes of Winchester PDX1.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:31 PM   #90
edteach

I am not sure why a 6 round mag would work better than a 7 round mag. I am sure they make the extended 8 round mag also. I hate that bottom they put on it, it looks like its backwards when its in. As far as the floor plates go I know the guy at the range I talked to bought the steel floor plates for one of the smaller guns and they fit fine. That seemed to solve that problem. I had no problems with my 7 round mags and I had about 600 or so through it before selling it.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:37 PM   #91
Tactical Jackalope

Finally got mine. Shot it today.

Thumbs down. Not the guns fault, my hands are just massive. I shoot it better with one hand. But all in all, my trigger finger needs to go back way too far on the trigger to fire the darn thing.

I'll give it to my girl or something.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old September 1, 2012, 06:36 PM   #92
PPBart

I've read mixed reviews here and elsewhere, but seems more positive than negative -- so when Cabelas put the CW9 on sale I bought one today. I had two gift cards plus some reward $ on my Cabelas Visa, so my out-of-pocket was trivial. Haven't shot mine yet, but I have fired several mags thru a friend's CW9 and liked it. Plan to go to the range sometime in next few days to start breaking mine in.

Plan is to make this one my everyday carry gun, so I'll be looking for an IWB holster -- anyone care to make a recommendation?
Old September 2, 2012, 01:13 AM   #93
Pukindog12

http://shieldedholsters.com/
http://theisholsters.com/
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
Old September 2, 2012, 08:13 AM   #94
cougar gt-e

I too bought a Taurus slim, the 40 cal 740 (same dimensions as the 709). Summary: It's crappy until you REALLY clean and lube it. Then it's pretty sweet. The trigger especially changed radically for the better after some lov'n on the bench! Only fired ~200 rounds, but it's been flawless for operational reliability and easily able to keep 6 rounds in a 4" circle at 30ft.

I joined the Taurusarmed board and posted the following there after getting it. Sorry it's long!

Quote:
Ok, picked up the gun today. Brought it home and immediately struggled to get the
slide off. After about a minute, I realized the safety was on and the trigger couldn't
release the sear. Whoops! Pulled the slide off and ***??? I've bought C&R guns
packed with less cosmoline than the Brazilians crammed in there! Cleaned at it for
a while and got the slide and frame pretty clean, but the trigger still felt like there
was some gunk in the striker channel or something. So... pulled the striker out.
That wasn't too bad. Just push the plastic tube back and pry up the back plate.
But wowzers, there is a lot of tension from that spring loaded deal that holds the
plate from moving.

After convincing the striker and that plastic tube to come out, I cleaned the
compacted grunge out of the striker channel. It was pretty dirty and gritty. Remember
I've not even fired the pistol at this point! Anyway, sprayed 100% silicone
into the channel and on the striker. That's what I use to both protect from rust
and to make stuff slick but not gooey. Then put it back and slid it with my finger. There
was a catch in it somewhere. Found the mold parting line on the back side of the
plastic was standing proud by 3/4 to 1 mil and smoothed it down with a diamond board.
Much better. Putting it back together wasn't too traumatic. Certainly easier than
an XD family pistol as there are fewer spring tensioned parts to contend with (and
search for on the floor after they launch!).

Then I sprayed and scrubbed on the frame / sear area and then lubed with EEZOX after
the obligatory 100% silicone. Added some 100% synthetic grease to the frame rails
and it was gliding pretty nice.

Then moved to the mag release. Cripes! It was gunked up and wouldn't allow the mag
to drop. You could press the button and then pull it out, but that's no good! So, spray, scrub
and lube. Then lube some more (especially inside the mag well with 100% silicone) then
a spray of EEZOX worked into both sides of the mag release button. Then inserted and
removed a 5/6 full mag (snap caps) a couple dozen times with each mag. Then ran
a patch up in the mag well area to clean out the droppings , followed by more lube.
Now the mag release is working much smoother and the mags are actually dropping.

Then took the mags apart and cleaned the insides. Again, what the heck were they thinking
with those base plates?? Took gorilla power to get them to slide free.

Then I assembled everything and racked / fired on snap caps about 100 times. Yes, my thumbs
are sore from loading the snappers!

I'm a crazy nut about toys...er... tools, yeah, that's the ticket, TOOLS! I bought a laser
shaped like a .40 to bore sight pistols and zero rail mount lasers. Works good. I found that
at 20 feet, the gun as shipped had the dot to the left about 3-4 inches from where the sights
thought it should be and also about 8-10" (drum roll please........) HIGH. Yes, that's right.
The bore sight laser showed that the point of impact would be about 8-10" high, not low.

I started to zero the sights to the bore and uh oh.... dang battery in the laser is dead, so I
couldn't finish that off. grrrr.

Unfortunately, time and life are limiting me from running out and firing it today. Will have to wait
until tomorrow for that. As they say, updates as they happen.

My dislike list is pretty small so far. Mostly that the trigger pull is still pretty stout and the sear
trips close to the back wall. I think the pull will continue to smooth out with use, but it may
benefit from a fluff and buff.

Q: is there a link to show how to take the frame down and do that?

The trigger going to the back, is a mixed bag. I can see that in a carry gun you want to have the
trigger such that it only goes BANG! intentionally. So... I'll just grumble about it and leave it the
heck alone aside from a possible smoothing on the polish wheel.

Tags
ccw , easy carry , glock 26 , kahr cw9 , taurus 709 slim