The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Best Reloading Manual

This hasn't been asked in over 3 years (based on a search) so I would guess the answer could have changed.

1) In the foreseeable future I will be reloading 357sig, 22-250, 204ruger and 10mm using a Lee Classic turret press. What would be the best manual for me (in your humble opinion)?

2)What would be the best overall manual, if different than above.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

I did not know there were so many different reloading manuals available. What I have done (as of yesterday) is to get a reloading manual from each company that makes the bullets I want to reload. Right now I have a Speer and Hornady manual, and of course the Lymans #49th edition. I guess as I go along, I will be adding more and more to the reading collection.
This is a newer hobby of mine and I am enjoying immensely. I am interested in seeing what others say about it, so like you, I can get the best.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Farmland

Every time I think I have nailed it down I'm wrong. Personally I would go with the one that matches your bullets that you are going to use. I find that every time I turn around though that I need more than the ones I have.

I use a combination of bullet manual's, powder web site info, and those specialty caliber only type ones. I know I have a lot of different ones.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

There's no such thing as "the best."

None of them are perfect because they don't cover ever possible bullet and powder combination.

If you want to cover all of your bases without buying all of the manuals currently on the market, get a One Load Book from Midway.'

But, you always want at least one full manual from one of the manufacturers.

My primary choice is Hornady, because I use Hornady bullets in my rifles and handguns.

I also have a Lyman manual, because they have lots of cast bullet information.

Is either one of them the "best" though?

No. They're suitable for my needs, which may be different from your needs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:24 PM   #5
BigJimP

My primary manual is a Hodgdon hardbound manual - and its because I use Hodgdon powders on metallic and shotshells - and then I pick up the Hodgdon paperback "give away" manuals every year / and occasionally a paperback updated version.

I also like the Hornady manual - and honestly, I don't think there is one manual that is the " best " .....and with the internet these days, you could make an argument that you might not need to own a manual ( but I like to have them as well )....
Old August 10, 2009, 01:44 PM   #6
mikld

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?...49th&x=23&y=27

This is an excellent place to start. Lyman mnanuals have an excellent "how to" section along with jacketed and cast bullet loading data. As stated earlier, a manual from the manufacturer of the bullets you are going to use is desireable too.

I rarely rely on one single source of reloading data; manual, web site, "expert advise", etc. and usually use two or three refrences. Since I cast boolits for my handguns I usually use Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, and Lee Modern Reloading for info.

If I had no other choice but one reloading manual it would be Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
73-Captain

Best Reloading Manual

"This hasn't been asked in over 3 years (based on a search) so I would guess the answer could have changed."

You might want to refine your search...

This is a weekly and at times it seems daily reloading question.

C.
Old August 10, 2009, 02:19 PM   #8
LuckyStrike

Sierra if you shoot Sierra, Hornady if you shoot Hornady
Old August 10, 2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You might want to refine your search...

This is a weekly and at times it seems daily reloading question.
Really? How about a link?

There have been 10 threads with the word "manual" in the title since February. None of them ask straight up which manual is BEST.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...archid=3638266

"Daily" and "weekly" seems a little, uh, exaggerated.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:17 PM   #10
alfack

I like the little pamphlet type manuals which have all of the load data available, for one specific caliber, from all of the major bullet and powder manufacturers, compiled in one place. That way you don't have to search around.

www.loadbooks.com
Old August 10, 2009, 05:31 PM   #11
jepp2

I am guessing that my definition of "best" and yours will be quite different.

What I look for:
- covers the bullets I intend to use and the powders I prefer
- gives me the starting load, the max load, and the pressures
- the test firearm "reasonable" approximates mine
- covers lead, plated, and jacketed pistol bullets

To me, none do this best. The ones that I like come closest. BUT, for my most common loads (9mm and 40 S&W), there is a huge difference in the powder load range. Some starting loads in one manual are above the max loads in another manual. So even if there was a "best" I would use at least 3 to compare loads to feel comfortable.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Doodlebugger45

LOL

Yep, same as the situation where if you have a watch, you always no EXACTLY what time it is, but if you have 2 watches, you're never quite sure.

I have also noticed that for some calibers, the different loading manuals have a fair amount of deviation in start and max loads. I assume all of them were using valid laboratory testing procedures. I suspect that the different loads are caused by the differences between primer brands and bullet construction. Everyone pays attention to powder brand and number and the bullet weight. And even though we all read that primers can make a difference and bullet construction can make a difference, we don't attach as much significance to those. Sometimes the difference between a Speer and a Hornady bullet of the same weight and general appearance can be fairly substantial in terms of what charge size to use. For those reasons, I figure the start and max powder charges are kind of "grey" areas. It's a good reason to start with a start load that uses the exact same primer and bullet as what you have. Not always possible to find that identical combo though these days.

I also like the little Load Book pamphlets that restrict themselves to a single caliber and plagiarize all the different manuals for that caartridge. You can get a quicker estimate of what the various ranges should be to stay solidly in the safe zone to start.

As far as all the "how to" parts of the manuals, they all contain fairly similar info, but some of them are just written better. I like the Speer and Lee manuals for that stuff.

Hodgdon has all their load data online so it's free, but they never say what brand or type of primer they use in their loads. But it's another resource to use.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Kyo

i ordered the Modern Reloading 2nd edition. I figured it was a good choice since my equipment is created by the same company that prints that book. 20 bucks at cabelas, and I hear good reviews. Worth it imo, especially when some others are over 100. Although I am not sure if its true when it states its the most comprehensive load data in the world. how do you even verify that?
Old August 10, 2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have manuals from bullet companies and powder companies, all different, all good each one I learn something I didn't get from the others but I probably rely on Sierra and Hornady the most, no particular reason except I like the way they are laid out.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 10, 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
alloy

Quote:
Yep, same as the situation where if you have a watch, you always no EXACTLY what time it is, but if you have 2 watches, you're never quite sure.
Jeez ain't that the truth.

I too like the hornady and sierra manuals both have lots of information regarding the process, aside from all the excellent conflicting load data.
the sierra is a bit bulky being a looseleaf.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:50 PM   #16
wncchester

"None of them ask straight up which manual is BEST."

No maker sets out to make second or third or fourth best, they all do the best they can within the limits of practicle costs and individual preferences are individual, not a blanket "best". Old Grump has a handle on it!

For beginners - which it seems you are likely to be - the Lyman and Lee manuals give perhaps the best basic info, along with some very good more advanced info as well. And a copy of the ABCs of Reloading will be good too.

As for the loading data, don't get to caught up in the idea that you will get "better" data from the maker of your bullet or powder. NO book can tell you exactly what to do with any certainty, any of them will give you as accurate data as you can use.

People who wish to EXACTLY duplicate what they find in their mauals, as if doing that might give them better results, seem to forget that the biggest single change they can make to any manual's data is the weapon the ammo will be fired in. No bullet or case or primer or OAL change you might make will have as much impact as that one mandatory change.

Bottom line, use some common sense. Pick a bullet weight, pick an appropriate powder, use what ever cases and primers you have and then "Start low and only move up to max listed charges IF you see no excess pressure signs." IF you do get pressure signs, back off at least a full grain and stop there, no matter what the book says.

In other words, this ain't no exact, by the numbers science. You get what YOU get, not what the book makers got.

Last edited by wncchester; August 10, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:16 PM   #17
frumious

Best? I dunno. I don't think there is a "best". What do you want in a manual? I like something I can lie in bed at night with and study on. Plus I like books (kind of old fashioned that way) and I don't own a laptop. So I went ahead and bought "Modern Reloading 2nd Ed." by Lee and Lyman's 49th. Both had good general howto sections in them. Both had a reasonable smattering of load data. Lee's had a lot of rambling opinion, which was neat too.

I really don't even know if a manual is needed, and someday they probably won't be. There is plenty of howto on the Internet and you can get load data from the powder manufacturers. Yes, people say don't necessarily trust what you read on the Internet. I guess having a book published goes a long way towards making the potential reloader feel like they are getting good, expertly-reviewed information. But its funny that when you get the book, if you've done a little conscientious research on the 'net already, the book will mostly just tell you what you already knew.

Just my $.02.

-cls
Old August 10, 2009, 09:32 PM   #18
darkgael

best

A better question would be "Which manuals do you prefer and why?"
"Best" questions are impossible to answer accurately.
I have always made it a point to buy as many of whatever manuals are current as I can afford. Usually, I have the bullet people - Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Sierra - the powder guys being Hodgdon, IMR, Accurate - and online for Alliant. And the equipment makers - Lyman and Lee. Then there's P.O.Ackley and the NRAs "Handloading".
I cross check every new load with at least three of these.
Of all of them, the one that I buy first and use first is the Lyman.
Pete
Old August 10, 2009, 09:36 PM   #19
Edward429451

The best reloading manual is a variety of manuals. I have 11...

Midway has the one load books for each caliber which have all the manufacturers data in one thin book.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:15 AM   #20
csmsss

I prefer to use the powder makers' manuals - Hodgdon in particular because most of the powders I use are marketed by them. This is nice for another reason - Hodgdon publishes its manual online and free of charge.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:01 AM   #21
jimkim

Buy a manual, any manual. I like Lyman. Then spend the $30.00 to subscribe to loaddata.com. Then print your own copy of the Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Barnes, Nosler, Swift, Oregon trail, Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate, IMR, Winchester, and a few more manuals. You will also have access to Handgunner, Rifle, GUNS, and Handgunner magazine loads.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:14 AM   #22
blhseawa

There is no best ...

I wish there was, but there isn't as far as I can tell.

Here is why, most reloading manuals may not use the same set of components, that you use, for example, there are cases, primers, powders, and bullets. None of the reloading manuals list all combinations.

Thus I tend to have manuals from powder manufactures, bullet manufactures, etc.

The most often used by are Hodgdon, IMR, Speer, Hornady, and Sierra.

YMMV
Old August 11, 2009, 10:48 AM   #23
azar92

While there may not be a definitive best, everyone is bound to have their preferences. For me, my preferences are as follows:

1) Lyman #49. Has a variety of bullets from different manufactures, including cast bullets. Gives powder suggestions and shows which powders performed the best with which bullet. Has high quality reloading instructions and is very detailed.
2) Hornady #7. I like Hornady bullets and decided to get their manual. Excellently written reloading instructions as well. Load data seems a bit conservative compared to other sources, but still an excellent manual.
3) Speer #13. Came with my original kit. Well written reloading instructions. Offered modern loads for a strong action Swedish Mauser where few others did. Now a bit dated, but still a good general reference and a good reference for Speer bullets.
4) Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed. Has good information and lots of loads, including cast loads (IIRC). Too much of a rambling advertisement for all things Lee, which I grew tired of. Still a good book to have on the shelf and was inexpensive at $12 (on sale).

I also download all the available reloading data from powder manufactures off the internet. This gives you good reloading data, but not instructions. Both are important for the beginner. The ABC of Reloading is another common suggestion for those just starting out, but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

Good luck.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:04 PM   #24
Master Blaster

Lyman is the most complete and best all around because they use a variety of Bullets and powders and primers to acheive the best load. If you buy the Speer you will get data for speer bullets only, same with Hornady, Sierra etc. I usually use the lyman manual along with the bullet and powder manufacturers data which is availible free, online like Hodgdon, or by phone call like hornady, Sierra, Nosler.

Buy the Lyman manual first.
JMHO
Old August 11, 2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Alrighty, well, I just ordered The 8th Edition of The ABCs of Reloading and the Lyman 49th Edition.

Midsouth Shooters Supply was the lowest price and actually has some bullets in stock too, so I got 250 boolits shipped for an extra $1.

Now, if I only had the two things that actually make the thing go BANG!, I'd be all set.