The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 13, 2022, 03:49 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

good, meh idea? got a Aero .223 Wylde Fluted stainless

Hey there,

Had a wild hair to replace a pencil PSA Freedom classic barrel only because I started having the perception of "meh" with it. Within a day of thinking of getting new, I bought a (just a copy and paste to make it easier) "Aero Precision AR15 16in .223 Wylde Fluted Barrel Complete Upper" with a stainless barrel. Obviously 1/8 twist. Atlas One free floating.

Stainless, 223 Wylde, free float, and 1/8. Only thing I kept similar with the PSA was 16" length.

Should have read more, but in what I did read, seems like I'll likely not have made a bad decision?

Any opinions? Would appreciate to hear them as I know not much on rifles.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2022, 06:19 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

I have an Aeroprecision rifle, .223 wylde, Ballistic Advantage 18” heavy barrel, 1/8 twist that with my best load is reliably 1/2-5/8 inch groups at 100yds. It’s also a rifle length gas system so very mild recoil. I’ve noticed the more I shoot it the accuracy has improved and the barrel has gotten easier to clean. I haven’t done anything special for barrel break in but I’m assuming it’s breaking in better as I shoot it.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; May 15, 2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:06 PM   #3
rickyrick

You won’t be disappointed in AeroPrecision anything.
Heck, even their blemished items are better than par.
Old May 14, 2022, 06:38 AM   #4
kymasabe

Aero barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage, and I have an AR with an Aero Atlas S-One handguard in it, it's a very nice handguard, no sharp edges, fit and finish are perfect. My 1:8 Wylde barrel is probably the most accurate AR barrel I have so...sounds like you made a good decision. The PSA is probably carbine length and the Aero is probably mid length, so you should enjoy a little lighter recoil as well.
Shoot it. Enjoy it. Then contact me if you want to sell the PSA.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

So my psa charging handle doesnt fit the aero upper. Google turns up a billion results of charging handles not fitting aero uppers. Deciding to ship it back or not. Just not in the mood to sand to fit a spec item.
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #6
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
So my psa charging handle doesnt fit the aero upper. Google turns up a billion results of charging handles not fitting aero uppers. Deciding to ship it back or not. Just not in the mood to sand to fit a spec item.
Rise Armament makes a handle that fits Aero uppers perfectly, I've bought a few, and they're not expensive, if I'm remembering correctly, I think I paid around $30 for them.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/rise...ck-ra-212.html
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
So my psa charging handle doesnt fit the aero upper.
Doesn't fit the upper--or doesn't clear the lower behind it?