The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2019, 03:48 PM   #1
Gulfcowboy

S&W sheild vs sig 365

Hello,
I've been debating lately if i should sell my sheild, and take the cash and buy a sig 365. The sheild has been 100% reliable. Its accuracy is o.k. I added a hogue and was going to buy a apex trigger. The allure of the sig is it can hold more rounds without extending the magazine. I also believe it is smaller. Maybe not thinner. If anyone has experience with these two pistols and can give me any input I would very much appreciate it.
Old August 7, 2019, 03:54 PM   #2
FITASC

If you lay the SIG over a Kahr CM-9 - they are the same, even the thickness - except the SIG holds more ammo. I love BOTH of mine
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2019, 03:56 PM   #3
O4L

My experience is that the 365 grip is too thin for my large hands. Other than that and the significant price difference between it and the Shield, I wouldn't have a reason not to own one.
Old August 7, 2019, 04:04 PM   #4
dontcatchmany

I will stick with my Shields (40 also with a 9mm barrel, 45 Shield w/laser and Shield 45 PC). All three are very accurate and never a problem.

The only Sig I ever had was the P938. Fantastic gun and very accurate until it started dropping mags and when that was fixed the safety lever came out. Fixed it and sold it as I could not trust it anymore.
Old August 7, 2019, 04:11 PM   #5
IdaD

There are too many bad reports for me to want a 365. The XL is supposed to be better, though, so if you're wanting to make a change I'd think about that over the regular 365.

I carry a 9mm Shield some of the time and I'll continue to do so. It's an original and may be getting a little long in the tooth but it's been reliable, it shoots well and I don't feel undergunned with 16 rounds of 9mm available. It's been a good little pistol.
Old August 7, 2019, 05:16 PM   #6
AgedWarrior

I have shot a 9mm shield, and it seems like a good pistol. I bought a P365 last year, and I really like it. It is accurate and reliable. I have shot numerous varieties of ammo through it without any hiccup at all. It’s size and mag capacity make it a great carry gun. Shooting the shield and P365 in side by side run with a friend, I found the P365 more comfortable to shoot and more accurate. My friend who owns the shield came to the same conclusion and is considering a P365 now. Biggest drawback is the price difference
Old August 7, 2019, 06:42 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
There are too many bad reports for me to want a 365.
From 3 years ago; guns made after June of last year are all GTG
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2019, 06:47 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

There are not bad reports for current production.

As it might be one of the fast selling, there you go.

There is no indication that the XL is better or worse than the P365. Nor should there be. It's too new. Additionally, there aren't gut changes between the two.
Old August 7, 2019, 07:17 PM   #9
davidsog

Quote:
There is no indication that the XL is better or worse than the P365.
I checked out an XL at the local shop today after practicing with my P365 which has about 7000 rounds thru it without a hiccup.

Outside of the ability to mount an optic on the XL, it was a bigger P365.

Seemed a step in the wrong direction to me and I really could not see a place for it in my lineup.
Old August 7, 2019, 07:42 PM   #10
tlm225

In my search for a smaller CCW earlier this year I test fired both at a rental range. FOR ME the 365 gave slightly better precision in slow fire but the Shield gave me better control and grouping in rapid fire. I went with the Shield and have no regrets. IMO both are good guns, I recommend that you test fire both if possible and pick the one that suits you.
Old August 7, 2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Just keep your tried, and proven Shield if you are unable to follow my Rule #1. A couple more bullets may sound impressive, but not really worth giving up something good that you already have confidence in.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 7, 2019, 08:56 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I picked up a P365 XL. Reports from others online seem to indicate that the striker drag is less than on the standard P365. Now for some people that drag wasn't ever a problem, so take it for what it's worth. I got mine at SIG Sauer Academy after talking to the guys there and handling the two. For me I really only liked the normal P355 with the 12 Rd magazines, so going with the XL made sense. I find it more pleasant to shoot than the Shield and 43 I've owned before and even on the same level as a subcompact like a Glock 26 or M&P 9c. I think ideally you'd get the P365 and then sell the Shield if you wanted. You might regret selling it preemptively.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 7, 2019, 09:23 PM   #13
claydoctor

I have both and prefer the Shield. The single stack grip fits my hand better. Having recently compared the 365 to the 365XL, I wish I had bought an XL. It seems better balanced and comes with the flat trigger, that I just paid extra for on my 365.
Old August 7, 2019, 09:45 PM   #14
chris in va

I tried a Shield 9, it's ok but didn't speak to me. Now the 365 with 12rd mag is perfect for my xl hands and I carry it every day. It's a 'big small gun'.

Ironically I really enjoyed the Shield EZ, what a hoot. Recoil of a 22, magazine follower, and racks with one finger.
Old August 8, 2019, 12:36 PM   #15
JDBerg

I like both the P365 and the Shield but I like my Walther PPS-M2 better
Old August 10, 2019, 01:27 PM   #16
Siggy-06

Personally, I can't get a positive grip on the P365. The shield fits fine though.
Old August 10, 2019, 04:32 PM   #17
Skadoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
I like both the P365 and the Shield but I like my Walther PPS-M2 better
I tried to like the P365 really really hard. But I like my Walther CCP M2 way better.