The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Kram

How to M T the RCBS uniflow powder measure

Happy weekend to all. I generally unscrew the lock nut, unscrew the bushing all the way. This opens up the hopper and lets out as much as it can hold per stroke .

Is there an easier way to empty it, something I'm missing?
Old July 27, 2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

I usually just dismount the whole thing and pour the powder out the top back into its original container. I will not change the settings if I am finished because in my case, there is the chance that the next time I use it, the load may be the same.
Old July 27, 2019, 11:41 PM   #3
Steve in PA

Been reloading close to 30 years now, I unload my hopper just like Pathfinder.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing it the way you described.
Old July 28, 2019, 02:33 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Dismount the powder measure (mine is on its stand, not the press), pour the hopper contents back into the original cannister (use a funnel), then hold the measure upright over the funnel and work the lever a few times, to dislodge any remaining granules, and finally invert the hopper over the funnel and work the lever a few times again.

This will get everything out that will come out short of disassembling the measure. Do a final visual check of the hopper and powder cavity, then remount the measure for further use later.

Even in the unlikely event there is still a granule or two stuck in the measure it will not cause any significant difference if it comes loose and mixes into the next batch of powder used.

Now, if you can see a layer of stuck powder granules left in your measure after it is emptied, then you need to disassemble, remove the powder and clean the measure of what ever is causing the stickiness.
Old July 28, 2019, 07:16 PM   #5
FITASC

Same for me, take off the top and dump into powder jug. If the mouth of the jug is really wide, then I'll use the funnel so my baffle doesn't go into the jug.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Average Joe

No easy way, you have to tip it over to empty the hopper.
Old July 28, 2019, 07:39 PM   #7
BBarn

You could buy a Hornady powder measure stand which utilizes the L-N-L bushing system for quick removal of the powder measure. Unfortunately you'll also need some green paint.
Old July 29, 2019, 03:15 AM   #8
Kram

So in my case I would have to unscrew the unit from the mount..

I guess this was kind of a stupid question. I don't have the owners guide. I thought maybe there was something I was missing.

On a side note...I'm amazed how accurate this unit is. Using powders like Unique are a little challenging but 231 and 2400 meter so well, its crazy.
Old July 29, 2019, 11:36 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

The only other alternative to removing the measure from the mount and dumping the hopper is to just leave it in place, and keep working the charge handle until nothing more comes out.

I have done this from time to time. Open the cavity up as far as it goes, its mildly entertaining, to me, watching the powder pour out in a seemingly endless stream, seeing the hopper level drop noticeably with each throw cycle. If it do it that way, when the thing is empty, I screw the charge cavity back nearly all the way shut, do a few last "dumps" and when nothing comes out, call it good.
Old July 29, 2019, 11:56 AM   #10
zeke

Rarely do i unmount and remount the measure. Am one who empties what is left by opening cavity as far as it will go and working lever. Rarely is there more powder in it above the bottom of the plastic cylinder.
Old July 29, 2019, 12:13 PM   #11
greaseswabber

I mounted my uniflow on one of these. It's very stable and allows easy height adjustment. And it comes right off to dump powder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powder-Measure-Stand/
Old July 29, 2019, 12:56 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
I guess this was kind of a stupid question.
It's not at all a stupid question. There are a lot of tricks and tips that I've learned here just by lurking. Most of them have been stuff I've never even thought of asking about. My personal example is I'd never even thought about getting a turret press until I started reading this forum. I know, that's odd.

Anyway, you won't find out unless you ask.
Old July 29, 2019, 02:18 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
It's not at all a stupid question.
There are times I hold the uniflow in one hand and crank the handle with the other. there are time I have to cut a grain or two and then there is the Little Dandy I use at ever opportunity, the little Dandy can be mounter or hand held.

Strange thing, I gave up on playing the Banjo, and then? I took my heart in to have it worked on. The strange thing? My hands have 'almost' quit hurting and I have quit dropping things.

F. Guffey
Old July 30, 2019, 08:40 AM   #14
pete2

I have a piece of 1/2" aluminum bolted to a shelf on my bench. I drilled a hole in it large enough for the threaded part of the measure to pass thru. I use 2 nuts. Screw the first nut on, put measure thru the hole, second nut on the bottom, snug the bottom nut with pliers. Very easy to take off the bottom nut, empty the measure and then reinstall. Now if I could figure out an easy way to dump the Dillon measure...........Right now I dump the Dillon when I change calibers.
Old July 31, 2019, 06:02 PM   #15
gwpercle

Dismounting the measure and pouring the powder out the hopper through the removable top is the recommended method . Leaving the measure in place and pumping the handle until all the powder is run out is harder on the measure's internal parts than just pouring the powder out .

The word is spelled empty.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; July 31, 2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old July 31, 2019, 08:14 PM   #16
zeke

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...#!l=RC&i=98846

Am not sure how well this actually works, but suggests you can use it with regular uniflow.
Old August 1, 2019, 12:59 AM   #17
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I generally unscrew the lock nut, unscrew the bushing all the way. This opens up the hopper and lets out as much as it can hold per stroke .

Is there an easier way to empty it (?)
Been using my Uniflow since 1984. ^^ That's how I empty mine too.

I'm patient.

And I also don't fill mine much more than necessary at any given load session. I've tested the throw weight consistency when nearly empty; and with most powders, it does amazingly well. I've gotten accurate throws when there was only a few more throws worth remaining in the hopper. So knowing this, I don't fill it more than needed. Reduces emptying time .
Old August 2, 2019, 01:23 PM   #18
billcarey

Same here...unscrew from the press, take the cap off and pour out. Lock ring stays tight and I screw back in by hand until it hits home. Going on 30 yrs doing it the same way. I do this with two of these and never have to change powder settings unless changing loads.
Old August 2, 2019, 06:47 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

I don't know that I've ever dismounted my Uniflow since I first mounted it (1984). Whenever I had to move the bench it's on from one living arrangement to another, I didn't even dismount it - just popped the whole bench into the back of my brother's pickup - press n all. :-)

There's a good deal of superficial rust on the mounting threads these days. The thought of dismounting to empty it never really crossed my mind. After reading this thread, maybe I'll give it a re-think.