The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2019, 08:59 PM   #26
bamaranger

novelty

I have a hard time referring to any firearm as a "toy", but for a shotgun that is to be used almost solely for amusement, for $200 you can get a Maverick 88 with a short tube and 5+1 capacity. It will kill cans and redneck clays as well enough to keep you grinning.

When one starts talking rails, dot sights, mag extensions, you move into a whole new category of serious shotgun that will cost more and not kill cans any better than the 88.
Old April 18, 2019, 08:56 AM   #27
Rifletom

Post #14 is probably your best bet.
Old April 18, 2019, 05:07 PM   #28
JERRYS.

I started my time in the military and law enforcement with the 870, but have since moved to the 590. I still own an old 870 only because I haven't been in the market.... but if I were to do it over I'd get the Mossberg. for just a toy the 88 can't be beat. for serious work that you can add-on ad nauseum the 590 would be my choice.