The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2015, 09:29 PM   #1
rcase1234

New Remington v3?!?!

Hey everyone I know I'm late on hearing this news but a new shotgun from Remington?! And from what I hear in the $700-$900 price range?! SOLD! When are the going to be released anyone know??
Old February 17, 2015, 11:05 PM   #2
upstate81

Summer of this year. Ive been told june. I like the 26 inch walnut stocked version. This gun will be a huge seller for remington. The new gas system is very innovative and quite effective. Wish it came out in all gloss wood and steel. Atleast a grip cap! Oh well im hoping it to be a great success.
Old February 18, 2015, 06:34 AM   #3
rcase1234

Gloss wood and a nice deep bluing would be nice but I got my 1100 Classic Trap for that . I got a feeling this will be my new duck slaying boomstick
Old February 18, 2015, 06:56 AM   #4
upstate81

Im really excited to get my hands on one. There is an excellent thread over on shotgun world that is over 20 pages if you havent already seen it, its very informative. Randy Wakeman has posted a review he did on the gun. He sings many praises about it.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:15 AM   #5
Virginian

Very interesting gun from everything I am seeing so far. Some are saying it is the next 1100. That is saying something.
Old February 18, 2015, 12:19 PM   #6
dalecooper51

I hope it works well and it would be nice if they offered a left handed version.

After my VM was delivered with a bad barrel, broke and locked up twice in the first 50 weeks (8,000 rounds) both requiring trips back to the factory, I am done beta testing for Remington. If reports are favorable after a year or two, then I will take a look.
Old February 18, 2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Virginian

Unfortunately I think the era when manufacturers could and would invest all the hours and dollars required to thoroughly test anything before sending it to market are gone. The 1100 was thoroughly wrung out, and the results were obvious. Only military gear gets that now, and that's because the government (us taxpayers) pay for all the development work after they accept the original proposal. I think the last, and maybe only, weapons system that was a company funded project was the Northrup F-5 Freedom Fighter. The concurrent government funded system was the F-4 Phantom, America's proof to the world that with enough horsepower even a brick can fly.
Remington is far from the only one that has had problems, and most of the competitions changes have been minor tweaks, whereas the VersaMax was a totally new system. The V3 appears to me to be an evolution of that system. We shall see.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:01 PM   #8
upstate81

I agree in saying that the V3 will replace the 1100 seems a bit far fetched. There is a niche there that the V3 just doesnt fill. That niche is class....either way im eager to try something new!
Old February 19, 2015, 11:15 AM   #9
rcase1234

To me, the 1100 and V3 would be guns for different purposes. But man the V3 is a sweet looking gun and whenever I see Remington has a new gun I get all warm and fuzzy inside so I can continue to buy new,quality American firearms
Old February 19, 2015, 12:16 PM   #10
upstate81

Exactly! For me its local as well!
Old February 19, 2015, 12:21 PM   #11
globemaster3

Virginian, not the F-5 (which in essence was a single seat T-38), but the F-20 Tigershark which in essence took the F-5 and replaced the twin engines with a single F100...

The USAF and Navy bought into the F-5 for aggressor work, but the F-20 went nowhere...

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 19, 2015, 12:29 PM   #12
SPEMack618

Except to the barn behind Chuck Yaeger's house. (or so Tigershark legends go)

I'm hoping that the V3 will become my duck hunting companion.

My Benelli SBE just doesn't seem to be preforming like it use. Time for something new.

I have, well currently it is on long term loan to my little sister, but I love my 1100 in 20 ga. That deep blue and walnut just looks right to me.
Old February 19, 2015, 01:17 PM   #13
rcase1234

That's what I was thinking! I'll pick up one of those V3's for duck hunting. I'm a little afraid to take my Classic Trap 1100 into the duck blind and I've been using a Mossberg 525 3.5" pump (never use 3.5's honestly) that I picked up for $300 in Max 4 camo brand new. It's never failed me but I love semi autos after getting my 1100 I've forgot to pump a time of two LOL
Old February 19, 2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Virginian

No, it was the F-5. Northrup submitted plans and the joint Navy / Air Force committee said it did not meet their request for a submittal, and Northrup responded it wasn't a response to their request, it was a fighter they were going to build for export sales and they were submitting plans for review as required by law. The Navy and Air Force were not impressed, but they did agree top take two prototypes to review. The F-5 went on to a long an illustrious career as aggressor ships for both services at Red Flag and Top Gun, and sold in large numbers overseas, being outfitted as everything from air superiority craft to night fighters to ground assault craft. And the T-38 of course became the standard jet trainer. Long Ago when engaged in the pursuit, I thought we could have built so much better a submarine for so much less money if we hadn't had government "oversight". It was only much later that I realized the goal was not to save money, but to spend it.
Old March 14, 2015, 11:14 AM   #15
CockNBama

...not to save, but spend...

That hurts my feelings. Not from a dispute with your assertion, but rueful acknowledgement that you're mostly right.

On the other hand, the submariners in my ship's company often told me that subs were ships designed to sink, built by the lowest bidder...