The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 10, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
ronz

Should I build a dedicated 22lr upper?

Picked up an a2 upper receiver today would it be worth the money to make a 22 out of it
Was going to get a cmmg barrel from midway for $99 but there out of stock did a little searching and every 1 in 16 I found was out of stock or expensive I knew I wouldn’t have been able to save much if anything than buying a complete cmmg upper but also don’t want to spend a lot more just so I can have the satisfaction of building it
So started about thinking about making a 5.45 plinker to take advantage of the cheap ammo but then remembered that one of the ar builders at a gun show told me the 5.45’s didn’t work good in an ar
Old December 10, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Fishbed77

My guess is that you would probably be better off just buying a complete CMMG .22LR upper. By the time you add up the barrel, .22LR bolt assembly, front sight base and small parts (barrel nut, dust cover, charging handle, etc., etc., I don't see how you could really save any money over the ~$370 that the complete upper retails for.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:42 AM   #3
ronz

Thanks fish was thinking the same thing
Will probably just hold onto the upper until I find a good deal on a barrel