The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Katrina Guy

870 H.D. /hunting barrels?

I have an 870 H.D. model (holds seven rounds), I am going to replace it very soon with a Mossberg Persuader for defense purposes, wondering if a hunting barrel can be put on my 870-get something out of it anyway *chuckle*
Old October 5, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Katrina Guy

Of course it can, 870 barrels are interchangeable. There are certain barrels like the Special Field barrel that will not work, but few of those exist. you can remove the extension and have a straight up hunting model!

Good Luck & Be safe
Old October 6, 2008, 12:27 AM   #3
ActivShootr

Quote:
you can remove the extension and have a straight up hunting model!
Yes. Removing the extended magazine is the key. I ran into the same problem with a Mossberg 500. I couldn't find a 26" barrel to match a 7rd magazine.

You will probably have to replace the extended magazine tube with a standard legnth.
Old October 6, 2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Scattergun Bob

ActivShootr

The 2 scatterguns work differently.

500's have a solid piece mag, where 870 has a split mag. 870 uses the mag extension as a cap to retain the barrel. You could use the mag extension with a hunting barrel, BUT why would you?

Your 500 required a magazine change out to a sporting mag.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 6, 2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Katrina Guy

thanks for the input..

I read another post somewhere of a person with a Mossberg Persuader that wished to convert into a hunting shotgun (more appropriate barrels) and the post indicated that that was not possible due to a home defense model (apparently due to the long magazine tube).
I dont' care about reduce-ing barrel length if I need to, I don't know if that's even needed as per hunting legal purposes.
Good to know that most hunting shotgun barrels from Remington can be put on my 870 seven round H.D. shotgun.
I'm going to pick up that Persuader model real soon and that will serve as my home defense shotgun, good to know that the Remington can be used for something else down the road, guess I'll hang onto the 870-which was my big question, if it couldn't be converted to hunting purposes I ought to just sell it-I don't want it for any home defense purposes, a great gun and a good design etc, just not for me under a high stress situation of home defense, for me anyway.