The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 28, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
butch50

Guns and First Aid kits and bug out bags

If you watch the news from Fort Worth tonight.....

This afternoon at work our office was rocked by a series of violent explosions, four in a row about 1.5 seconds apart. Then more following. The sound came from our south and sounded very close. We went out the south door and there was a giant black plume of dense rolling black smoke about two blocks away and a huge fireball roaring up into the sky.

Quickly following there were more and more explosions and fire balls and the smoke column got bigger and blacker. Within 10 minutes, ambulances and fire trucks were sreaming down our streets. Shortly after the ambulances came the helicopters, four at least were hovering directly over us.

This went on for 45 minutes, the fire actually growing larger and getting worse and worse and more explosions and huge fireballs rolling up hundreds of feet high, and then there were electrical arcs in the fire and our electricity went out. As the fire balls rose up in the sky we could feel the heat. I looked on a map later and scaled it off, and we were 3,000 feet north of the explosion. The wind was blowing away from us so we stayed and watched in complete awe, but soon after our power went out the air began to get foul from fumes that were working up against the wind to us. At that point we all decided to go home and watch on TV instead of up so close. I got into my truck and headed home praying that no one had been seriously injured or killed in the explosions, I was really worred for the fire fighters because those explosions were seriously intense.

Within two miles of leaving the office I drove up on a traffic accident just seconds after it happened. Glass was still falling out of the windows, although I had not seen it happen. There were two pickup trucks involved, a large one and a small one. The large one was still in the road but the small one had been pushed onto the railroad tracks. A Lady had stopped at the same time I had, and she went to check on the driver of the larger truck, who was not visibly injured and seemed coherent and I heard him telling her that he was OK.

I ran over to the smaller truck, which was jammed across the railroad tracks and the drivers side door was smashed in badly. The front tires were bent around badly and were straddle of the far rail. There were two women in the car, the driver who was unconcious and bleeding badly and a younger woman who was no bleeding but was screaming and crying and obviously in shock. I looked around to see what the situation was and there was a train about 1/2 mile away and coming down the tracks right at us.

I got the passenger out of the truck and to the side of the road, ran back to the truck and tried to open the driver's door, it was cratered in and wouldn't budge. I ran around to the passenger side to see if I could drag her out that way but her legs were pinned in from the way the cab was crushed in on her. There was blood everywhere. The Lady (petite and about 60 years old) who had checked on the first driver asked what to do, I asked her to get on the cell phone and call 911 and try to get them to stop the train. It was still coming. It was either stop the train or jump back and watch because I couldn't move the truck, and couldn't get her out of the truck. Some of the bystanders also got onto the tracks and were waving their arms and rags, trying to get the engineer's attention. I was afraid that he would be focused on the large black column of smoke from the explosions at the chemical plant and not see us.

I could hear the Lady on the phone telling the 911 dispatcher that the train hadn't stopped yet and that "By God We Are Staying On These Tracks And If You Don't Somehow Stop That Train It Will Be On Your Concscience That We Were All Killed Too!" She was a Tiger! She was Magnificient! She was giving them a blow by blow account of everything. She actually did get the train stopped about 100 yards from us. All this time I was still pulling on that damned door, and prying at her legs and trying anyway to figure out how to get the woman out of the truck to safety.

Once the train stopped I went into first aid mode and got the bleeding stopped with some gauze and clean rags that someone had found (by this time there were dozens of people around) and kept her from flailing around too much until the EMTs got there. She was semi-concious by now but in very bad shape. When the fire department and ambulance showed up I went to the passenger who was still screaming and crying, and I just hugged her held her, and got her to talking until she calmed down. All of those people there and no one was even attempting to help her out. When the EMTs finally put her in the ambulance I left. I drove home in something of a daze, came in and washed the blood off. I had a beer then, and it was as good a beer as I ever had.

During this whole ordeal I was very aware that I had a pistol on me, and that I did not have a first aid kit with me anywhere, and I needed a first aid kit badly. I am going to get a first class first aid kit for each of my cars. It was absurd for me to think to have a gun, but not think to have a first aid kit. I strongly recommend that everyone have a good first aid kit in their vehicles.

I also have a renewed and genuine respect for our first responders. Those men and women are the absolute best.

I think there is a bad moon following me today. I am going to get under my bed now and hide for awhile.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry

Last edited by butch50; July 30, 2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old July 28, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
jrklaus

God bless them, and you!
Old July 28, 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
almark

Well done!! You acted calmly and performed well when the stress was on, which is something that not many people could do (myself probably included). Out of curiosity, any ideas on how exactly 911 got a train stopped? I wouldn't have even thought of that... do they broadcast on some special radio or something? Might be something for all of us to remember for future reference. Also, if you haven't already, may wanna consider taking a CPR course. You can get a good CPR "pocket mask" (Laerdal is the brand I like) for ~$12 online. Also, for those of you that go shooting out in the country like me, a first aid kit and snakebite kit should always go in your range bag just in case.
Old July 28, 2005, 07:15 PM   #4
butch50

I was OK during the action phase, but the adrenaline kicked in big time while driving home. Or so it seemed. That's when I got the shakes.

I have no idea how or even truly if 911 communicated with the train. It is possible that the engineer saw the wreck and stopped on his own. But what I remember overhearing of the woman talking on the phone it sounded like she was in contact with someone who was in contact with someone - that sort of conversation. I was really not focused too much on that though, I was "feeling" that train coming up my butt and trying to get that woman out of the way.

I have had several first aid classes and I did remember all the basic things to do. Made sure she was breathing, she was, made sure no arteries were pumping out, none were, made sure she had a pulse, she did, controlled the bleeding which was bad even though not arterial, and tried to keep her from flopping around and hurting herself more. What I am embarassed about is that I haven't carried a first aid kit with me anywhere in years. I have a huge one in my house stocked with all the necessities.

Tomorrow I get a first aid kit for each car/truck in my family.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 28, 2005, 07:24 PM   #5
jrklaus

I do know that the Radio Shack scanner books (where legal) list the frequencies of various railroad lines. I'm pretty certain they do have transceivers in their cabs.
Old July 28, 2005, 09:10 PM   #6
Arizona Fusilier

Sounds like you did well. The most important thing you did today, was learn that lesson.

Don't stop at the first aid kit. The wisest advice I heard about "bug out bags" is to have one in your vehicle; you are almost always just a few hundred yards from it.

Imagine if those chemical tanks were emitting toxins in the air, and evacuations were needed. You might not have had time to go home (if you have SOs at home, they could unass with the "home version" of the bug out bag, or the one that is kept in the other vehicle).

Food, water, something to keep warm with, signalling devices, multi-tools, etc.. And yes, a first aid kit, too. Don't overwhelm yourself, start small, and buy what you can afford, and add to it over time. A real simple kit can fit into a day pack, and be a real security blanket.

I've recently augmented my first aid kits with the quick-clot packets that are being used with such great effect in Iraq/Afghanistan. I think anyone who has the presence of mind to carry a gun ought to have a packet or two of this stuff in their car as well.
Old July 28, 2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Tylden

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. My hat is off to you for doing what you did and I commend you for your brave actions. I will be adding a first aid kit to my car tomorrow as well.....and one with my range bag (just in case). The folks in Fort Worth will be in my prayers...I hope they are okay.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8
butch50

A bug out bag is a tremendous idea. I will start building one tomorrow, thanks! Please describe the quick clot packets, where to buy and how they work.

Thanks!

Old July 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Saw the fire on the news before I left work--bad stuff.

First thing to do when you come on a car wreck is to turn off the ignition in all the wrecked vehicles.

A standard first aid kit or even paper towels are handy. I try to have a bottle of water in the car but I've been remiss of late. Be careful about applying too much first aid unless it's clear that delay will be intolerable or when it becomes obvious that you're not going to get a quick emergency response. The quick clot packets are great for a battlefield, but you'd better be careful about medicating strangers unless it's absolutely clear that they need treatment before professional help can arrive. Try to think about what emergency responders will do when they arrive and try not to do anything that might make their job harder.

I try to carry an old coat in the car. Come to think of it, I need to get another one. Left the last one with a lady who obviously had dresssed without considering that she might end up standing by the side of the road for a long time next to a wrecked car on a very cold and rainy night.

I also carry a 4' crowbar in the trunk because I figure it's better than fingers for trying to get a jammed car door open in a hurry.

Remember that just the fact that someone is there means a lot to the victims. Tell them they'll be alright and that help is on the way. Sounds stupid, I know, but it's what they'll want to hear and if you can say it calmly and convincingly they'll believe it.

Sounds like you did good.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:49 PM   #10
alpineman

I usually explain my gun views to my non-shooting friends as the "First Aid Kit Principle". You may never need it, but why on earth would you not have at least one for that one time that you DO? With either one, your life could be at stake...

The pistol is with me everywhere legally possible. My wife and I keep a comprehensive 1st Aid kit in each vehicle, and a big one in the house. We also have one in our SHTF emergency "go kit".

To me, the gun and the 1st Aid kit go hend-in-hand. It's all about being able to take care of yourself.
Old July 29, 2005, 07:13 AM   #11
butch50

JohnKSa:

Good points John. Actually one of the first things I did was to shut off the ignition on her truck - the engine was still running and her foot was jammed down on the accelerator so it was revving up pretty high.

A crow bar is a good idea, but in this case the EMTs had to cut her out of the truck with a torch.

An old coat, a crow bar, a bug out bag, and a good first aid kit - that's my shopping list for this morning.

Having a first aid kit seems so obvious that not having one is embarassing.

Old July 29, 2005, 08:36 AM   #12
Arizona Fusilier

Butch50,

I've obtained quickclot from Brigade Quartermasters http://www.actiongear.com).

They are available at Gall's (www.Galls.com), which also has some good, high-end first aid kits.
Old July 29, 2005, 08:51 AM   #13
buzz_knox

Thus are heroes born: ordinary people are thrust into extraordinary situations and rise to the occasion, thus revealing the divine within.

Excellent job. And thanks for the reminder about needing first aid kits. I need one for the car and the house, along with bug out bag and more extinguishers.
Old July 29, 2005, 09:06 AM   #14
BerettaCougar

Good idea. I'm now building a nice kit for my car.

Like in a big gym bag to keep in the trunk.
Keep it next to my MRE's (anyone else here keep MRE's in their trunk?)
Old July 29, 2005, 09:24 AM   #15
Eghad

dont forget the protective gloves!

I notice you had blood on you too...might want to put something in the kit to help you clean up for blood borne pathogens also! some plastic squares might also be good in case of chest wounds. you could also use the iside of the bandage covers for cheat wounds also.

NRA Life Member
Old July 29, 2005, 09:56 AM   #16
almark

As buzz_knox suggested, a fire extinguisher is also a great thing to keep in your car. My father learned to do that after two of our Fords had wiring problems and burst into flames spontaneously ('course, you know what they say about Ford...)
Old July 29, 2005, 10:38 AM   #17
butch50

OK, I am now adding fire extinguishers! If her truck had been burning there wouldn't have been a thing I could have done except watch - Excellent suggestion!

Actually I was going to get a kit that contained gloves. I was careful not to rub my eyes, nose or mouth and I don't have any cuts or scratches at the moment. I had thought about gloves before bandaging but didn't have any and she didn't look she could wait until some showed up. I managed to wipe most of it off before leaving, but there was still some on me here and there and up under my nails. Thinking on it now it was plain stupid of me not to have asked the EMTs for some sterile wipes. No doubt they had a 50lb box of them.

The EMTs are true heroes, I was just an accidental tourist. no pun intended.

Old July 29, 2005, 11:12 AM   #18
Ohio Annie

my car gear

in my car i have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit assembled from things bought at the drug store and put in a Molle bag from cheaperthandirt.com here is the list:

wound irrigation saline 7 oz. pressurized can
benzalkonium chloride solution 4 oz. can
purell hand sanitizer 2 trial size
16 4x4 surgical sponges (for wiping too)
10 3x3 pads
10 2x2 pads
1 roll gauze
small roll adhesive tape
10 butterfly closures, medium
10 bandaids 3"
5 ea. fingertip and knuckle bandaids
1 eye pad
bandage scissors
2 finger splints, metal and velcro
1 stretch bandage
eyewash and eyecup
20 alcohol prep pads
1 sheet moleskin
sliver extractor tweezers with magnifier
anti-itch/pain cream
antibiotic ointment
10 latex gloves
stackable vials of 6 Benadryl, 10 ibuprofen, 10 antacid

total cost is about 60 bux plus the cost of the bag.
Old July 29, 2005, 07:44 PM   #19
butch50

I looked at a couple of first aid kits today, and they were not what I want. Mostly they had bandaids and little packets of aspirins, and a small roll of gauze, and minor stuff.

Given that one experience, and the fact that all I was doing was trying to keep her alive until the EMTs arrive, I think a kit that contains trauma type bandages makes more sense. So I am looking for one that has:

Large bandages, several
Large Compress type pads, several
Rolls of gauze, several
Gloves
CPR mask
and not much else.

Anyone know where I can find one ready made? Annie your kit sounds great, and I may end up buying the above components and putting my own kit together too.

Old July 29, 2005, 08:03 PM   #20
swmike

Be sure and throw a box of extra ammo in the "bug out bag". Since you will now have a bag for all the essentials this is a good addition.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old July 29, 2005, 08:24 PM   #21
Lawyer Daggit

I carry a comprehensive St Johns First Aid kit in the car (most commercial kits for cars are useless.)

Make sure you have a rug or space blanket in there- for shock and incase you have to lie someone down, as well as a blaze orange vest- (you don't want to be run over while helping)

Incidentally carry a knife in the car with the kit- I once had to get someone out of a car and their seat belt had jammed on after the crash.

One final thing- please learn how to use the above and consider keeping first aid certification current- in Australia if you do, St John Ambulance provide you with free insurance incase you get sued. US residents may like to look into this and see if they do the same there.

One final thing, get a safety triangle and if you have a mag light get one of those illuminated cone things that fit on the end that cops use.
Old July 29, 2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Lawyer Daggit

Butch 50- I also meant to say well done. You have survived one of lifes great tests and performed under pressure.

I have been in a situation of being on the scene of an accident twice and attended a heart attack once in my 50 yrs on this planet. The first experience, where I wanted to help and did not really know how led to me obtaining St Johns certification as a first aider.

You also highlighed one of the paradoxes of America and sadly the world, today- that I hope a lot of readers will ponder- a lot of guys are prepared to pack a gun to help out ( and I don't question the desirability or honourability of them doing so) but don't think about a first aid kit. Which is more important? to save or to take life?

I believe, as I think you do, we all need to prepare for both.
Old July 29, 2005, 09:19 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Gloves are important. I forgot about mentioning them, but I have a pair in the trunk.

Fire extinguishers are a bit tricky. You may have to shop around to find one that will stand up to the heat. If you carry one, put it in the trunk. It may stay a bit cooler and if it leaks it won't be as bad. Check it often. The last one I had in the car leaked empty in no time--probably from the heat.
Old July 30, 2005, 01:27 PM   #24
delta58

As a former EMT you can do alot with some 4x4's cling or curlex wraps, gloves and cpr mask. Sounds like you did ok and you had some good help. A friend of mine was at an industrial fire one day and he told me he thought he could have done a better job. I told him "you put the fire out, you didn't get anyone hurt and you didn't make the 6 o'clock news, sounds like a good job to me"!
Old July 30, 2005, 03:49 PM   #25
butch50

The beginning of the bug out kit:

Surplus military back pack to hold it all:
One first aid kit that leans heavily towards large wound trauma supplies
including gloves and a locking knife with half smooth half serrated blade, and a police type whistle - still looking for a CPR mask
One bundle of Kimberly Clark Disposable Shop Towels - very strong, these will make excellent large wound bandages to control bleeding
One light weight disposable trauma blanket
One super light weight space type blanket
One bottle of water
One .22 semi-auto pistol with a box of hollow point stingers
Four road flares (make good fire starters too)
One reflective road triangle
One orange safety vest
One disposable poncho
One machete
25 feet of 1/2 inch rope and caribiners
Flashlight
Leather work gloves
One roll of toilet paper

Things to add:
Change of clothes
Food bars
Small tarp of 6 mil plastic approx 15' x 15'
Matches
Compass
Small portable radio
Candles

In the truck but not in the pack is a fire extinguisher and a crow bar. What am I forgetting?

Quote:
One final thing- please learn how to use the above and consider keeping first aid certification current- in Australia if you do, St John Ambulance provide you with free insurance incase you get sued. US residents may like to look into this and see if they do the same there.
We have a "Good Samaritan Law" in Texas, and maybe in the US in general (someone knowledgeable on this please help me out) which protects Joe Citizen from law-suits if he renders aid. I do not believe it is tied in to being certified in giving first aid - and currently my certification has expired. I have had first aid/CPR training at least a dozen times, but not in the past 24 months.

Last edited by butch50; July 30, 2005 at 07:57 PM.