The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 25, 2005, 08:41 PM   #26
Avizpls

Kilnk,
With your views on never cocking a handgun for self-defense, what are your opinions on the designed method of carry with a 1911a1?
Old July 26, 2005, 12:30 AM   #27
carebear

Since it is designed to ONLY be fired with the hammer cocked and is designed to be carried that way I'm going to assume he ain't agin' it.

The "don't cock it" advice (which I disagree with) is based on the fact that a DA revolver is specifically designed so you can fire the gun without cocking it and you thus apparently took the extra time and effort to make it even more hair-triggery and lethal than it needed to be.

I personally believe that reasoning to not be proved out in reality (no cases for a civilian SD I'm aware of, certainly none in AK) but it does have its own logic.
Old July 26, 2005, 03:00 AM   #28
LAK

Quote:
this time when I cocked the hammer and placed my finger on the trigger, in my tired state I fired the weapon
In all your gun handling - for whatever purpose - memorize and stick to these four rules:

1. All firearms are loaded.

2. Never let the muzzle of a firearm point at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger unless your sights are on the target.

4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.
Old July 26, 2005, 03:47 AM   #29
Garand Illusion

The "no cocking" rule would pretty much disarm the guys with Blackhawks.

I'm not an "instructor," but I'm going to use whatever firearm I have in the best manner possible in the unlikely event I have to shoot someone.

One thing for sure, though ... I'm not going to give the cops any details as to how/why I shot and/or what I was feeling at the time until I've talked with my lawyer. I think that "He was attacking me and I defended myself with my firearm. Respectfully, sir, I will not give further details until I have had a chance to consult with an attorney" is the best.

But from the classes I took lethal force is lethal force ... it doesn't matter how you use it or what kind of ammo you have. All that matters is that you were in fear for life or limb.
Old July 26, 2005, 11:52 AM   #30
magnumenthused

carebear--my revolver is a double action/single action firearm and fires quite well and accurately in my hand double action. since that is the case i see no reason to ignore the advice of not cocking it. I used to load my 20 ga. shotgun for self defense until I got this. Now being a pump shotgun, one must cock it regardless of course--the great thing about those is that the sound of cocking it alone tends to scare the living crap out of anyone otherwise intending harm or other undesireable actions...assuming they're not crazed/feeling the immortal effects of PCP, etc...

I can proudly say I've never had an accidental/careless discharge with my shotgun...GOSH that would be a mess..Not just a hole in the wall, but many holes in the wall, my desk, my monitor, my subwoofer, window..either way I'm never compromising on gun safety again.
Old July 26, 2005, 01:55 PM   #31
chris in va

Quote:
the great thing about those is that the sound of cocking it alone tends to scare the living crap out of anyone otherwise intending harm or other undesireable actions
Now see, this is where you need some training! If you take a decent HD class, they'll tell you NOT to rack the slide...for a couple reasons.

First, that means you have one less shell in the mag that could have been used for SD. Second, all that does is gives away your position in your house. You're not looking to go after the guy, but shore yourself up, grab a cell phone and defend yourself if he/she/it comes through that door. Florida has Castle Doctrine now where you can stand your ground, but most states don't have that. Here in VA you can't even shoot someone stealing your stuff in the house, unless they are specifically trying to hurt *you* in the process. All we can do is call the cops.

Honestly I think much of what you've learned needs to be thrown out and re-learned via professional teachers, especially when it comes to legal issues in your state. Just yesterday I talked with a lady that has her CHP and keeps something in her purse. She's having issues with her daughter's ex-boyfriend and stated, "If he ever comes on my property I'm gonna shoot him.".

Oh boy. He'd be in the hospital and she'd be in jail...and I told her that.
Old July 26, 2005, 05:01 PM   #32
Mr. James

What chris in va said...

Your heart is in the right place ... now get some training so your head follows.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old July 27, 2005, 01:11 AM   #33
big daddy 9mm

I would never keep a gun under my pillow

and I would also never practice drawing with it loaded. as much as I move in the night I would kill my self with a gun there.
Old July 27, 2005, 08:15 AM   #34
ADBF

I'm with Stephen426. Get a gunsafe with a digital lock system on it. Keep it locked up when you're not at home, unlock it for when you're there. These safes aren't terribly expensive and your weapon will be more secure. Take safe handling classes and read all you can about shooting and gun handling. Safety is priority one when you own a handgun.
Old July 27, 2005, 10:55 AM   #35
OBIWAN

My question was why did you cock it in the first place?

It is not a single action revolver

But it is not important
Old July 27, 2005, 11:14 AM   #36
shield20

Chris,

So you recommend keeping a shotgun for home defense loaded (1 in the chamber?).

Hmmm....I never really thought about it, cause I rely on my handgun, but I unload that too before putting it in a gun rug for the night. (kids around, etc., and just feel an attack would not be as...imminent/immediate as "on the street")
Old July 27, 2005, 12:25 PM   #37
magnumenthused

chris--If you have an actual family to defend however, Id rather learn to clear the house and draw attention to me, scare the crap out of the bad guy, then let them roam through and slay my family...
Old July 27, 2005, 01:35 PM   #38
buzz_knox

Quote:
chris--If you have an actual family to defend however, Id rather learn to clear the house and draw attention to me, scare the crap out of the bad guy, then let them roam through and slay my family...
Do a house clearing drill sometime and you'll learn it's not something you'll ever learn unless you've got a fireteam backing you up. You can muddle through, but it's dangerous. If you've got a family, you should have a plan in place to get everyone in your secure area, hold tight, and call 911.
Old July 27, 2005, 01:44 PM   #39
magnumenthused

Well I don't have a family yet. Glad I've got time before I do heh. Right now it's me and my roommate. I have a gun, he has quite the ability to kick some major ass. My ability there is limited due to limited experience.

We attended (he still does but I lack money for it currently, hence limited experience) a top notch martial arts school called Power Kicks, studying Hap Ki Do and Tae Kwon Do. Charles Michael Nestor is the master there. Loooooong training record as a cop, having served under many many PD's, Military experience as combat control in the air force, and all while training in martial arts since age 14. When he came to HKD/TKD he trained (and still trains) under Samuel Yang (I can't remember the guy's Korean name right now). Mr. Yang trained under the founder of HKD. Hit www.powerkicks.net if you want more info so I don't make a book-length thread heheh. At any rate the training at that school is truly quality. You actually earn your rank, it's not given to you even if you do badly on tests. But it's also not about rank there, it's about skill. Anyway I'm going to stop rambling now hehe.
Old July 27, 2005, 02:06 PM   #40
Eghad

If its a DA Revolver I never use it by cocking it I always use DA mode only.
IMO thats the way a DA Revolver should be shot.

The only to pistols I use Single Action are a Colt SA and a Ruger .44 Mag SA

NRA Life Member
Old July 27, 2005, 02:45 PM   #41
QuickTrig

I think someone mentioned this, But I like to keep my Ruger in its holster, strapped to the bed frame. At the end where I lay down, So I can reach above my head and draw it if need be, I also usually keep the chamber empty and the mag full at night. Its pointing towards the ground and its out of sight (which is another plus). Just an idea for anyone who doesnt have a good spot to put their gun while sleeping.

P.S. I think theres actually a company that makes bed frame holsters, Not sure what the name is, But strapping a retention holster to your frame is basically the same thing.
Old July 27, 2005, 03:39 PM   #42
Captain38

Old Adage

magnumenthused,

This old adage seems to apply: "Any fool can have an accidental discharge with a semi-automatic but it takes a DARNED fool to have one with a revolver"! I hope you learned that lesson well.
Old July 27, 2005, 05:11 PM   #43
AAshooter

What surprised me most in the post was this:

"Ammunition: .357 case, low-power .38 target load. Semi-wadcutter all-lead bullet (the sort that looks like the conical tip is a dunce cap with the top half cut off) with a proper .7cc measurement of Hercules Red Dot powder, Winchester primer."

Is this what you are using for your self defense round?
Old July 27, 2005, 09:25 PM   #44
SCCop

I'm with the Capt on ensuring that you're in an "awake" state of mind when you pick the weapon up. A retention holster would do the trick. Often those with semi-autos will leave the chamber empty or the magazine partially ejected if they have a magazine disconnect safety. I just plain don't like having it under the pillow. It is more natural instinct to reach out for a weapon rather than behind your own head. Just make sure that you do take some training and mentally prepare yourself for "undoing" whatever obstacles you use to ensure your alertness.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old July 28, 2005, 08:17 AM   #45
magnumenthused

It was my self defense round, yes. I have semi-jacketed HP's now given to me by my dad the other day in the speedloader he had for this revolver. Soon as I can I'll replace them with new ammo such as hydrashoks or something..
Old July 28, 2005, 08:20 AM   #46
buzz_knox

Quote:
This old adage seems to apply: "Any fool can have an accidental discharge with a semi-automatic but it takes a DARNED fool to have one with a revolver"! I hope you learned that lesson well.
Yet they happen frequently. People forget that a 12 lb trigger pull really isn't that much to an adult hand. All it takes is for the hand to clench and the trigger will fire unless the trigger finger isn't on it.

And a lot of NDs (not ADs) happen when dry firing takes place with a loaded weapon.
Old July 28, 2005, 08:26 AM   #47
OBIWAN

And at the point where you cock a DA handgun...be it revolver or auto

You have shaved the margin to almost nothing
Old July 28, 2005, 08:35 AM   #48
lee n. field

There goes your damage deposit.
Old August 3, 2005, 11:05 PM   #49
Colonel Klink

Carebear took my answer and probably better than I would have said it.
Old August 4, 2005, 12:54 AM   #50
pittbug

Is your roommate still sound asleep?