The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2006, 04:47 PM   #1
cuate

Springfield Armory Ultra Compact shoots high

Purchased a Springfield Ultra Compact (1911 .45) and I absolutely love the workmanship, the finish, the all steel pistol, the coned barrel and everything about it with the exception of it's shooting too high. I fired it at 10, 20, and about 40 yards with the same result. I bought it for concealed carry and I suppose that I can get used to it shooting high, just aim lower.

This pistol has nice fixed sights and to add a higher front sight makes problems removing from a holster, I have never viewed a lower rear sight that the one installed. Do not believe that a rear adjustable sight would adjust low enough for relieving the problem.

Perhaps someone has had a similiar problem and might suggest a fix? Would appreciate hearing from you, Thanks.........Cuate
Old January 16, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
tINY

How high does it shoot? Some sights are regulated for a "6 O'clock" hold.

-tINY

Old January 16, 2006, 05:16 PM   #3
rapier144

Aim low?
Old January 17, 2006, 01:42 AM   #4
cuate

It shoots 6 to 8 inches high at 40 yds. Probably the same closer, I was shooting at an old steel barrel.

I guess aim for the belly button and get a sternum hit........Oh well its a concealed belly gun anyhow and much better'n goin' to a gunfight with a pocket knife.
Old January 17, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Don H

I suggest you experiment with different loads as this will change the point of impact.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:38 PM   #6
tINY

6-8" at 40 yards with a compact 45 is going to be more like 16 inches high at realistic ranges for a defensive handgun.

If you can't find a better load, you may have to file down the rear sight.

-tINY

Old January 17, 2006, 06:46 PM   #7
michael t

I would test on a target at a realistic range for SD A barrel at 40 yds isn't real good test to me. 10 to 15 yds for a compact is to me more in ball park. .
Old January 17, 2006, 08:19 PM   #8
cuate

Problem no longer exists

Thank all of you for your comments and advice, the problem, whether mine or the pistol's seems to have gone away today. Went out and fired a bunch of PMC
.45APC, 230 Gr. jacketed ammo. I am at a loss to the answer. The Springfield folks offered to send me a lower front sight but I notified tham that it was no longer needed.

Guys & Gals, I have shot .45 autos off and on for over 55 years and built up a couple from parts. My apologies for bothering all with the problem whether ammo caused, shooter caused or whatever. Thank You anyway........Cuate
Old January 17, 2006, 08:20 PM   #9
cuate

Rear sight, not front sight......been a long day.
Old January 17, 2006, 08:21 PM   #10
cuate

Rear sight not Front sight........been a long day, uphill and into the sun, into the wind.........
Old January 18, 2006, 03:18 PM   #11
Harry Bonar

shoots high

Dear 45 shooter:
You can (if it is not already dovetailed) have a 65degree dovetail cut in the front of slide, fit a Novak or Ed Brown blank in place, shoot it and adjust the front to hit on at 25 yds. and slope the rear so it will slide out of your holster.
A suggestion: There is no better sight for serious combat than a rear "ghost-ring "(1/2 ring - you run a 3/8" round ball mill thtrough the rear sight) and a front tritium dot with white ring - very visible! The LAST thing you want when it's time to "see the elephant" than trying to line up slow sights or double dots!
Harry B.