The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2017, 07:29 AM   #1
stagpanther

Magnetospeed or doppler?

My chrono master seems to have given up the ghost, besides which I'm simply sick and tired of all the friggin with the riggin to get it to work--so I'm seeking a replacement. I'm kinda thinking one of these two choices. I know they are based on different technologies. Pros/cons that you have experienced with either system?
Old October 21, 2017, 07:38 AM   #2
ajandrs

I haven’t used the Doppler yet, but I’m eager to sell my magnetospeed one of these days to try it. There are limitations on what firearms you can use the magnetospeed on and even with it you have to make sure it is aligned just right. It works extremely well, but the Doppler just seems a lot easier to use and gives you more data. If you can spring for it it’d be an easy decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 21, 2017, 07:39 AM   #3
WarPig1976

I don't have either. I do know Hornady figured out the polymer tip on their "Max" series of bullets was melting using Doppler. That's why we now have the "ELD" series.
Old October 21, 2017, 07:53 AM   #4
TXAZ

I have the LabRadar Doppler. It was a pain in the @$$ to set up and get it to detect and capture data for .50 BMG rounds. (Which according to the literature should be easy due to the larger size). Can’t imagine trying to get it to work on .223 rounds.
The manual is poor at best. The power connector likes to fall out frequently.
There are some YouTube videos that are better than the company’s info.
Did I mention it was a pain in the @$$ to set up?
I do like the idea of getting muzzle and down range data.

But I would buy it again given the alternatives.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 21, 2017, 08:36 AM   #5
MarkCO

I tested several samples of the MagnetoSpeed and the LabRadar. Never had a single fault with the MS, but several with the LR. One of the guys over whose LR I shot has been without his for 6 weeks out of the past year due to failures. Yes, they fix them...but. Eats batteries too.

The LR is of course a little easier to set up, but for the most part, you need the range to yourself, or at least several lanes in between you and the next guy over or the faults start to increase. Getting a 2500 in your string of 3000s is a PITA.

The down side to the MS is that it is "usually" mounted to the gun. Not a big deal to me as I have rails on most of my guns and I made a rest and have some cantilever pic rails to use on the traditional stocked guns. I have never mounted mine to a barrel yet. On light barrels, it does slightly change the POI, so while group size is consistent, you might see that change in POI. I have fired about 2K rounds over my MS now, never a fault and the data is better than I got with a traditional chrono. Still on the first battery too.

I put a good 300 rounds down range with each in several conditions and for me, the MS was the clear choice. YMMV.
Old October 21, 2017, 08:56 AM   #6
stagpanther

Very interesting comments--thanks guys. I read an article somewhere--I think it was on Sinclair's site but I can't remember--where there was a third device they favored over either the MS or doppler--I can't for the life of me remember what it was though.
Old October 21, 2017, 09:45 AM   #7
higgite

I have a Magnetospeed V3. The first one I got had some problems with intermittent readouts, but MS tested it and replaced the bayonet and the readout unit on their dime and it has worked 100% since then. I have only used it on 9mm and .45 ACP pistols, so can’t speak to rifle applications.

I stumbled across an interesting chrono that I hadn’t seen before, but have no personal experience with it. Just passing it along as an item of interest since someone mentioned a 3rd option. It will only work with supersonic rounds, though.
http://www.steinertsensingsystems.co...g-chronograph/
Old October 21, 2017, 10:41 AM   #8
stagpanther

thanks higite--that might be the one I was thinking of--basically 3 different technologies. Doppler seems to be the one that comes closest to allowing accuracy and velocity testing to be done at the same time.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

The Labradar has more settings to tweak, as mentioned. The Magnetospeed, like anything contacting or changing the weight of a rife muzzle, will make it impossible to reliably tune rifle loads with it in place. A lot of semi-auto pistols will require you to have or mount a rail adapter of some kind to use it.

The Labradar does use juice. Since it will run off a 5V USB adapter, I bought some of the rechargeable USB cell phone emergency recharger batteries to run it from. Amazon has some pretty inexpensive ones.

You can put a pretty big SD card in the Labradar and collect a lot of data before you need to empty it. It's readings are not up to the determination of good BC's as the higher power commercial Doppler radar (which can track a bullet several hundred yards) is. This is because bullets are still overcoming initial yaw near the muzzle. I think this is why the company says it's not for determining BC's, though I haven't asked their reasoning. But I used to have to set up two optical chronographs up to get even approximations of BC's, and this is much easier.

The Magnetospeed seems to be largely free of detection faults where the Labradar isn't particularly better than an optical chronograph in that regard.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 21, 2017, 11:07 AM   #10
Jim Watson

The only LabRadar I have seen in use was at an IDPA match to verify power factor.
It read every shot fired with my squad's guns.

I would not get full use from a Magnetospeed, much of my chronographing is for autopistols without rails. I did once see a picture of a Magnetospeed on a separate stand that looked like it could align with a gun on a rest.

But this afternoon I will be out with my CE Prochrono photocell unit.
It has the drawbacks of down range chrographs, you have to have a clear range to set it up and you have to fiddle with it to get it aligned with gun and target.
It has the main advantage that it is on hand and paid for.
Old October 21, 2017, 11:29 AM   #11
LeverGunFan

I have a Labradar, it's easy to set up on a public range and really shines when I am shooting multiple firearms, especially handguns. It does have some velocity limitations on the high end, so if you have any 4000 fps varmint cartridges it won't work. It takes more effort to set up with low report cartridges (32-20 WCF and 22 LR) but it does work. The Magnetospeed is lower in cost, but I didn't like the method of attaching it to the barrel, particularly with handguns. From what I've seen of independent testing, both are very accurate. If cost is no object, buy the Labradar... heck, buy them both.
Old October 21, 2017, 05:09 PM   #12
hounddawg

I am down to the point where the only time I chrono now is when I develop a new load so I can get a rough estimate for my scope dope however this looks interesting. I have steered away from both the magnetic and the radar for various reasons but once this gets a thoroughly tested by purchasers and reviewed I might just replace my old optical

Quote:
I stumbled across an interesting chrono that I hadn’t seen before, but have no personal experience with it. Just passing it along as an item of interest since someone mentioned a 3rd option. It will only work with supersonic rounds though.
http://www.steinertsensingsystems.co...g-chronograph/

for rifle rounds it looks to be a cost effective alternative that can measure down range speed and not affect barrel harmonics. Looks like they are selling for about $370 on Amazon
Old October 21, 2017, 05:34 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Note from their own site information, the Steinert unit is triggered by supersonic shock waves off the bullet, and so is not triggered by subsonic bullets. It therefore won't work with a good many handgun bullets or with airgun pellets or arrows, etc.
Old October 21, 2017, 06:32 PM   #14
RC20

Well interesting this should come up.

I took my Chonry down to the range, turned it on and NADA, ? Ok, spare battery, darn, I was going to be sure I had one but it had a new one last time I used it.

Borrowed a battery from the Range office , nada, oh oh, this don't look good.

Now I keep mine in a padded box, deployed, never folded up, clean, dry, temp variation low.

So far I have been through it as far as I can go, looks like the display just packed it in. zero abuse, I find that really irritating (and I am a very mild manner guy - sort of.)

As noted by howdawg, I don't use it a lot but am working to confirm a velocity with a good load. grrr.

Manetorspeed has no appeal. But a Chronny that quits for no reason (or a bad reasons) is also very low on appeal totem.
Old October 21, 2017, 07:01 PM   #15
stagpanther

Kinda leaning towards labradar--so far.
Old October 21, 2017, 07:04 PM   #16
hounddawg

Labradar looks like the easiest setup but is pricey at 600 bucks

MagnetoSpeed can be setup behind the firing line but it will change the barrel harmonics and point of impact. It sells for around 350 - 400 for the full kit

Superchrono looked interesting at first glance but as UncleNick pointed out it is limited to supersonic bullets and from the video the setup looks to be just as tedious as the optical units if not more so. The price looks to be about the same as MagnetoSpeed

When all is said and done if 7 year old CE optical died tomorrow I would probably replace it with another CE for less than 100 bucks. It works just fine for my purposes but if I wanted to splurge I would go with the radar unit

Oh and RC20 my old CE was dropped on the concrete a couple years ago and has a rattle in it but if I plug a velocity from a 100 yard zero into a ballistics program I am usually within one MOA at 600 - 800 so as long as it works.....

If the electronics are not displaying this won't help but once I had a issue with it once where one of the optical sensors was dirty and readings were erratic. I cleaned the lenses and it started working normal...might be worth looking at before you buy a new one

Last edited by hounddawg; October 21, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 21, 2017, 08:05 PM   #17
LeverGunFan

Regarding the Steinart SuperChrono acoustic unit - Bryan Litz covered this item in his book "Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting". In his testing it did not fare well, he noted the short spacing of 8 inches between the sensors was the culprit.
Old October 21, 2017, 11:42 PM   #18
ms6852

At the beginning I was interested in the magnetospeed and than this guy one day shows up with the doppler. It was very easy and easier to set up than the magnetospeed. Best part you can use on handguns or rifles without a problem. The drawback was of course is that it can give you errors if there is someone to your left or right but if you are alone or do not have anyone shoot next you you it will be fine. At my range as a member the range is closed to nonmembers on Mondays and Tuesdays but members can shoot so it is fairly empty, so the doppler would be great.
Old October 22, 2017, 04:11 PM   #19
RC20

Quote:
If the electronics are not displaying this won't help but once I had a issue with it once where one of the optical sensors was dirty and readings were erratic. I cleaned the lenses and it started working normal...might be worth looking at before you buy a new one
I am hoping someone take pity on me and sends me their dead Chorny with a good display, then I should parts to last forever.

I work electronics so its not new, surprised as usually they be a bit weird before just stopping and zero abuse (it could not have better care frankly)

I picked up a cheap phone block so I can test the power to the display.

If its got power then display unit and that makes sense.

It could be the power step down on the eye part as well.

Chewing on it, battery was plugged in, display disconnected but depends on how they wire it for power , battery could power up the two eyes. Powered up all the time could be an issue.

2 to 5 volts on electronics so there is a step down (likely resister) in there someplace.

May shunt 9 volt power directly to the display and another step down there.

My brother says I can get a new display for $35 but need to prove whats bad.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:17 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

That is weird. Got to one of the control chips dying. Happens randomly sometimes.

What does Chrony want for a new one? I believe they'll either fix or replace at a discount. They used to, anyway.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:35 PM   #21
RC20

About $134, but then there is shipping.

Often lower cost to pick up on sale if you find one.

They will replace entire unit, but the cost is at best $30 under a new one.

My brother picked through the site and says you can replace the display for $3o, but that is likely the LED part not the whole display unit.

But if not the display then.......

Agreed is strange. Electronics tend to last a very long time if not abused and this sure was not unless leaving the battery hooked up is the factor.

A lot of time leaving on is better than the thermal cycling.

Definitely a head scratcher.

Last edited by RC20; October 22, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:56 PM   #22
hounddawg

@RC20 I saw the CE on sale here for $ 89.00 + free shipping. I use the bluetooth adapter which will work on any android and the newer Apple devices to record sessions and act as a remote control. It won't get you a lot of gear envy at the range but it works great for my needs

https://www.ozarksource.com/competit...EaAqHgEALw_wcB
Old October 22, 2017, 07:08 PM   #23
RC20

Thank you. Seldom does free shipping include AK

No blue tooth device in hand, ergo the F1 Master Chrony worked perfectly for what I have (amend that, as perfectly as the annoyance of seeing it up allows - but that is true for all those types!)

Not a crisis, still looking at the possibles. Worst I do without it, do estimate with cross comparing loads.

I can rent one at the range but don't care for that, and pay for it if you blow it apart (not an issue but ......)

Years ago I managed to just knick the front frame, didn't affect ops, but I was being careful. All to easy to do.
Old October 22, 2017, 07:40 PM   #24
hounddawg

I cut the annoyance factor and set up time dramatically by using a laser bore sight and a piece of cardboard on the shade rods to position it. After watching that Superchrono setup video I am wondering if you could use a short piece of PVC tube as a sight and tape it to the chronos shade rods so you could use the setup routine they use on the Superchrono video.

apologies to the OP for getting so far offtopic
Old October 22, 2017, 08:29 PM   #25
ShootistPRS

In all the years I lived in Seattle my Pact model 1 worked fine except when the battery died. I wired in a RCA jack and made a plastic container for a 6v lantern battery and never had any problems after that.
When I moved to SE Washington I had problems with direct sunshine. I built a nice shade with plastic diffusers and had spotty functionality. Once measuring a 357 load at over 2700 fps from my 6" revolver for five shots in a row! OOPS. I am saving to get a LabRadar so I don't have to be concerned with the angle of the sun. I will build my own bench mount for the unit so I can solidly mount it to the flat plate and then use screws to adjust for bench slopes. I may have to find a way to wire it for an external battery too. I can always use a six pack of "D" cells to make it last longer or get a USB charger and use it. I see no down side to the LabRadar even at the local public range. With the sensitivity controls and all the information it provides It is simply the best on the market at $560 while the Oehler 35P is $575 with its out-dated electronics and it is still sensitive to the light source and has to be set up out in front of the bench and lined up accurately with your rifle and the target. I choose the better product with better more complete information that you set on the bench next to your rifle or pistol. LabRadar is the best for your dollar.