The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1
eagle1505

Need help reforming brass

Hey guys, I'm starting to reload 7.65 arg. and want to reorm 30/06 brass to the 7.65 cartridge. I have never reformed brass before and would like advice on the specific procedure for doing this.
Old February 29, 2008, 11:48 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Get a copy of Cartridge Conversions. Your local gun shop or Amazon. Midway lists Norma 7.65 Argentine at $24.49 per 20 or $106.99 per 100 though. You'll need .313" bullets too. Otherwise you'll need a case forming die plus a set or regular dies. $35.99 and $30.49, respectively, for RCBS dies from Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...8344***9261***
Old March 1, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

Brass Reforming In A Nutshell

Unsure about your specific conversion but would very highly recommend you contact the good folks at RCBS as they have the widest selection of forming dies available and a very helpful advisory staff willing to help you and if need be they will custom tweek your dies at no charge to you to custom tune shoulder set back etc.... as for the forming part it is recommended to use new brass to start with and you run them through a resizing die as you would for any reloading operation but need to be sure to lube the cases well and do the same for the inside of the necks also. You will notice a harder stroke needed on the press for the initial sizing and I prefer to repeat the process twice as tends to insure more uniform finished cases. That being done you will need to trim the cases to length and start yiur reloading regime. As the resizing tends to be more harsh on the necks than the rest of the cases I would recommend to anneal the necks of the cases after their first firings and every 3rd or so loading thereafter. This can be done quickly and easily on the kitchen stove . Place a larger pot on top of the stove and fill with enough cold water to allow you to stand 20 or so cases up in the pot and the water level reaches appx. 2/3 of the way up the sides of the cases , then take a small propane or butane torch and heat just the neck portion of the cases until you can see them start to get a hint of a red glow to them then quikly knock them over with a untensil and leave them there moving on to the next one etc. until all are done and cooled, drain them well of course and place them in a warm 150 degree oven to dry them and resize the cases . This is done to keep overworking of the necks from making the brass harden becoming brittle and causing neck split . I would recommend just buying Norma brass unless you plan to shoot hundreds of rounds a year or so for the ease and exspense. My first deer rifle was a custom Argentine and a honey to shoot . I was young, ammo was hard to find then and reloading was too time consuming . Hindsight really does have 20/20 vision . Hope this helps.
Old March 1, 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
All you really need is a good set of dies...

... in 7.65 and a fine hacksaw. I mount the '06 deprimed brass in my Hornady trimmer and remove about 3/16 of an inch of the neckwith the saw. Then I chamfer and run the well lubed case through the 7.65 size die with the deprimer removed. A final trim in the trimmer and another pass thru the die with deprimer in place and you are all set.

I have made some VERY accurate ammo this way but that was years ago, now I just buy the boxer brass from Graf's.