The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2000, 01:39 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

.30-06, ADL. The follower won't stay in proper position (can't a bit towards the back) so the bolt crosses over the top round/not feeding.

I've taken the thing apart about 50 times, reseated spring & follower (yup, it's pointed in the right direction - can't do it otherwise 'casue it's tapered). I've tried sticking the spring assy into the box first & sticking into the stock first ....

Even when being VERY specific in how I load each round (each being flat against the bottom of the receiver), everything looking just as it should, still the 3rd or 4th round won't always feed.

Rifle's only about 10 years old & seen not all that much use - essentially new.

'Bout driving me to distraction. I'm no 'smith, but have played quite successfully with 700s since the late 60s & can't believe I'm having this problem.

Tips?
Old November 4, 2000, 04:04 PM   #2
Nevada Fitch

The best fix for you is to find a BDL follower and spring and replace it with that.I know a man that builds sniper rifles for the Navy Seals and others and uses Remington BDL barreled actions for this.He will not buy an ADL barreled action because he says the follower is inferior the the BDL follower.If you can't get one,try bending the follower spring that should help.unforunately it is kind of a hit and miss kind of deal.Good luck.
Old November 4, 2000, 07:01 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Well thanks, Nevada. Was thinking along the lines of that - with just sticking in a floorplate a la BDL - they are kinda handy in all regards.

This thing really does have me scratchin' my head .... a stupid spring/follower on a "all but new" rifle & I can't get the damned thing to work AND there's really nothing to go wrong there anyway ... (right)! Yikes!

It always seems to come down to the little things. When you can't even cycle the bolt & expect a round to go into the chamber - it's hardy worth even having the darned thing - not that I'm going to pitch it in a ditch.

And I thought I was good on these .... One of the most frustrating things I've worked on in many a year.
Old November 4, 2000, 08:15 PM   #4
BOLTGUNZRUL

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but is it possible to have the spring assembled into the follower backwards?
Old November 4, 2000, 08:30 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I saw this last night and have been headscratching since. I wonder if the front of the magazine spring could be slipping under the front of the magazine box. This used to happen quite often when putting the rifle together and tightening the screws cracked the stock. So Remington relieved the front of the box a little. If this proves the case, just bend the front of the spring up a little so it can't slip forward.

Jim
Old November 11, 2000, 09:09 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Thanks again for all replies & suggestions ... hadn't replied as my PC took a dive - just getting back up, getting over the jones/info deprivation & now, an info overload - just can't be satisfied.

Just beats me with this thing & you can't put this one in backwards as the mag box & follower assy are both tapered & it won't go but one way.

Looks like I'm off to a 'smith Monday to take a look a a BDL assy kit thingy & possibly to see if it can be mod'd to accept 74XX/76XX mags. If I have to do some reworking on this, I'd just as soon be able to switch out mags.

Any thoughts on that as a possibility?
Old November 12, 2000, 06:35 PM   #7
Nevada Fitch

Might be better to just trade it for a new detachable Mag. version from Remington.We have game laws that require you to unload your gun every time you pull out onto the county road anymore.It is a real pain to run the rounds through guns like the ADL,tubular Mag leveractions etc.I suspect lots of the hunters in my area just say to heck with it and keep the shells in the gun anyway.other wise you wind up loading and unloading your gun until you have beat your bullets up pretty bad.
Old November 12, 2000, 10:31 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Nevada,

A detach mag would, by all accounts, be my pref ... don't have any clue as to applications, etc./cost effectivities. No sense having to run teh bolt 5X to dump the mag (standard ADL) when I can just drop a mag, work the bolt. BDL mag assy would come in second place.

In CO, you can have the mag loaded as long as the chamber is empty - FYI re hunting scenario..

All-in-all, if I'd get my druthers, I'd go for a 76XX/74XX detachable mag assy rather than the BDL version. The big +-side would be to actually have a mag assy that actually fed ammo to the chamber - that's the "right stuff" I'm currently shooting for.

Damn. If I wanted a single-shot, I would've bought a 40X
Old November 17, 2000, 09:04 PM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Well. Ended up taking the darned thing to a local smith.

First thing is: if you have a like product, always take a look at another like part that you're having a problem with/compare the differences (I didn't even tho' I've a few just like it) - it'll save you $20+

Somehow (I still can't understand how even recoil could do it), the mag spring had crept way forward (a good 1/2"+ - enough to almost extend past the front of follower) on the follower & wasn't supporting the back end of the follower enough for the bolt to grab the rear of a cartridge.

Anyway, an FYI & a thanks to all who tried the hard job of a diagnostics without being able to see the thing.