The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2002, 12:02 AM   #1
Jamie Young

I want to learn how to do this stuff Myself!!

I've been taking all of My guns to a Gunsmith for trigger work. I only have one gun left that I'd like to modify, My Marlin 882 22Mag rifle.

I took it apart tonight to see if I could figure out how to do this stuff Myself. I checked out AGI, and a few other websites, but I haven't seen anything on this Model Rifle. It looks like it might just be one or two springs. But I don't have the slightest Idea how to find out what kind of Springs/Size I need? And I don't even know if I'm right about that?

Where do I go from here?
Old March 3, 2002, 10:04 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

What are you trying to modify on the rifle? George
Old March 3, 2002, 10:44 AM   #3
Jamie Young

Lighten trigger pull
Old March 22, 2002, 01:55 AM   #4
4 Eyed Six Shooter

SodaPop, If you don't know what you are doing, I would suggest that you take your rifle to your smith. Changing springs can lead to an unsafe firearm. If I were you I would start with a simpler project and only do trigger work after you have learned from someone who knows what they are doing. There are too many variables in trigger work to just explain briefly how to do it. The marlin 22's were never made to have a target type trigger. As a Gunsmith myself, I have had to fix too many botched trigger jobs that made the gun unsafe. It's just not worth the risk of hurting yourself or someone else. Good luck to you, please don't let this stop you from performing simpler tasks-John K
Old March 22, 2002, 09:45 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Part of a trigger job--on anything--is polishing the mating surfaces at the sear engagement.

Two things: It is possible to wear through the case hardening (as with an AR 15, for instance) and have softer metal that will wear to a dangerous condition; and care must be taken to keep the proper angle--it is possible to goof and have spontaneous Oops.

Advice #1: Buy a new trigger, sear and springs before tearing into the unknown.

Advice #2: IMO, the Colt 1911 is the easiest upon which to learn, and there are various "how to" books. (I happen to like Hallock's, myself.) And that's about the best justification I can provide to rush out and buy an old clunker of a tired-used 1911!

, Art
Old March 23, 2002, 12:29 AM   #6
MatthewM

Not piling on, I'm a "do-it-yourself" kinda guy too.

I was at the rangd and an old guy who had not been at the range in a real long time pulled out a small 22 sa pistol. He racked the slide and it self fired 2-3 rounds into the dirt just in front of the firing line.

I also noticed his revolvers on the table were all facing me. With other unsafe practices, what if he racked that slide while pointing somewhere else. I think it was luck that it was pointing close to the right direction.
Old March 23, 2002, 04:55 PM   #7
Jamie Young

And I thought My Model 70 had the easiest trigger to learn from. Well I'll have a little Chat with My Gunsmith. The reason I ask is........... Every Time I talk to My Gunsmith he tells me "You should be able to do this stuff".