The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 21, 2002, 01:05 AM   #1
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Problem with Rossi 720, .44 Spl

At the last N.J. TFL shoot on the 16th I shot the course with my Rossi 5 shot. About 45 out of 60 rounds into it the cylinder would not advance and the cylinder release was stuck forward. I was able to complete the couse by opening and shuting the cylinder a few times. After cleaning it is functioning normal. My Question is, did this happen because it got overly dirty during the course or was it that the firearm heated up and caused the problem? Anybody ever have this happen with any of their revolvers before? It is the first time that I put that many rounds through it in such a brief period. Any guestamites would be appriciated. Thanx in advance......

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"
Old March 21, 2002, 08:41 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I wouldn't have expected it to get that dirty that quickly. Possibly a piece of brass from a fired case or a burr broke loose on the inside and locked up the mechanism. Then when you cleaned it, it was removed. I would certainly put it through it's paces again and if the probelm persists contact Rossi or the importer. George
Old March 23, 2002, 07:33 AM   #3
john from md

I have a 720, try this

I have a 720 and love it. It is the softest shooting .44 I own. First, measure the gap between the barrel and the cylinder. If it is less than .004. You need to stone the end of the barrel until you have at least that much. For action type competion, .005 may be better. Rapid shooting heats a gun fast and this causes the metal to expand and the cylinder drags on the rear of the barrel.

This is the only problem that I have found on my Rossi. It is rough inside and will feel smoother if polished, but it is made well for the money. I would put a set of Wolff springs in it though if you haven't already.