The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #26
Puddle

I am 5'11 175 and I carry a Sig P220 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur leather backed Kydex IWB. It is tuckable and the leather 'pad' is comfortable as the day is long. Depending on what I am wearing I will carry mine anywhere between 3:00 (on my hip) and 5:00. I can tuck a shirt into this rig if I want to.

Like someone else said, get a good belt - especially if you are carrying a full-size. The weight of my sig + a full magazine of .45 makes a good belt essential.

When I don't feel like wearing such a heavy rig, I just throw my Khar PM9 in my pocket. I have a pocket holster for that - forget the brand, but it is square shaped and makes the pistol blend into my pocket. Looks kind of like a big wallet if you look close enough.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:59 PM   #27
KO3422

I carry about 3-3:30. I'm a big fan of the MTAC. I've tried the Theis and Crossbreed and they didn't feel comfortable to me. If carrying OWB, I've used both leather and kydex. Both have there pros and cons. I find leather with a reinforced mouth the most comfortable. Kydex is a helluva a fast and easier to holster. Basically, it's a toss up on how I'm feeling that day.

A good belt is a must. Like everyone here, you'll probably have a shoebox full of holsters. It's all personal preference.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:53 AM   #28
JimmyR

Greetings from a fellow Hoosier!

I am in a similar situation, both in attire and in handgun preference. I typically carry my CZ-75 (full steel, full size 9mm) in an Old Faithful IWB holster with a forward cant at about 3 o'clock. It works wonders for me. I also found that, outside work, I will OC the same weapon in a leather pancake holster from Barsony Leatherworks. Once you have your LTCH, ou are able to OC/CC as you want.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:27 AM   #29
ScottRiqui

I'm 6'2", about 210 pounds. If I'm going to me mostly standing or walking, I prefer an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck) at about 2 o'clock. If I'm going to be sitting a lot, I'll rotate it to 3 o'clock to keep the barrel from pressing into the top of my leg. My chest is significantly larger than my waist, so I have enough "blousing" in my shirt around my waist that the gun doesn't really stand out, even with a tucked-in shirt.

For long car trips, I find a shoulder holster to be the best in terms of accessibility and comfort, but of course you have to wear some kind of outer garment, even if it's just an unbuttoned, untucked button-down shirt.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:29 PM   #30
raimius

I can carry a commander 1911 in a Crossbreed holster pretty easily with a tucked polo shirt. I usually go about 4 o'clock. I'm a similar height, but don't weigh as much, and it still works fine.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Puddle

Quote:
Like everyone here, you'll probably have a shoebox full of holsters.
Haha now that is the truth! It took me buying more than a few to find the right one.