The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 01:55 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

Mossberg 590 Sights Question

Hey everyone, new shotgun owner here, primarily for defense purposes, as in bug out shotgun to go along with my rifle.

I just bought this shotgun today: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...l-9-shot/50772

I would like to change out the front gold bead sight eventually for something else. Either ghost ring, or some kind of tritium night sight. I don't really want something super tall, super fancy, or overstated. Needs to be clean, and fast.

I'm pretty good with gun equipment, etc, but I can't seem to tell what sind of sights to look for for the 590. My gun has 4 optic/scopebase mounting slots (Screws) on the top of the receiver, and a standard gold bead sight.

What sights would you suggest given above description?

Thanks all,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:37 AM   #2
jmortimer

There is a thread running on this issue
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505842
Really gets going on page two.
I think a tritium bead would be best option
Old November 17, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

Should have just bought a model with ghost rings right off the bat, if you really want GRs. It's almost always cheaper to buy them on the gun than to add them to a shotgun that doesn't come with them, and simpler too.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...r-9-shot/51772 for example...

Another suggestion - if you haven't really made up your mind on something, it usually works out better to ask here first and buy later, rather than to buy first and then ask. Sorry...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Noreaster

Buddy of mine just bought the same gun and he purchased an add on fiber optic sight, (mounts just behind the bead.) Purchased at Kittery Trading Post and the set up works really well. Used for qual day and it held up to the abuse and didn't come off.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
MagnumWill

If you want to be super lazy, you can buy a different barrel.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:40 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

Well, thanks for the replies everyone. I found a replacement tritium beed sight from brownells that should fit my needs.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:58 AM   #7
MagnumWill

Sounds good. To tell you the truth, I went from a bead sight to ghost rings. They're real nice and they don't inhibit fast shooting, but I really miss the simplicity of things with a bead.