The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
kh1911

M9 or glock?

im lookin for a 9mm, i was thinkin either an M9 or a glock most likely 17
Old October 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
9mm

is this for carry?
Old October 15, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Very vague post; we're going to need a little help here.

What do you plan on using it for?
What trigger system do you prefer?
Old October 15, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Pisa

Full size range gun? I personally like the Beretta but it's a big boy, not really a carry gun. The G17 is a fantastic firearm as well and would carry better, if that's the intention.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
jmr40

For range, home defense use I like the Beretta well enough, but it won't do anything the G-17 won't do for less money. For carry I'd take a Glock, but the 19 or 26 instead of the 17.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Justice06RR

M9

DA/SA trigger, ext safety, all steel. Feels great in the hand and shoots even better.

I've shot the M9, Glock 17, G19, G21, and G23.

My vote still goes for the M9.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:35 PM   #7
chris in va

Neither?
Old October 15, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
tahunua001

I'm assuming you are either military or prior. I hear this a lot from my military friends as the M9 is a familiar design and Glock is just a household name in handguns.

I would take neither as my personal experience with the M9 was less than stellar however you can take that with a grain of salt since all of those were heavily used and poorly maintained(like a lot of other things in the military). Glock used to be the gold standard in polymer framed striker fired handguns but in recent years they have been slipping, serious malfunctions with their generation 4 models culminated with a recall last fall that to my knowledge is still ongoing. right now a major complaint, although not a huge deal is erratic ejection patterns with the spent brass, they seem to spit it everywhere including back into the shooters face.

I agree that there are a number of things that we need to hear from you such as
budget? are you looking to spend $400 or $2,000? this can help us narrow down the playing field for you

what do you plan on using it for? target practice 3 times a year and never leaves the gun safe or are you looking at concealed carry? hunting? police duty?

are you dead set on 9mm or are you looking to branch out to other calibers?

do you need a gun that you can learn the basics with or are you proficient with handguns and just want a new one for the collection?

this information would help the rest of us quite a bit.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Besides caliber these two guns have little in common. More information from you would really be required before making a suggestion.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 16, 2012, 04:17 AM   #10
insomni

Glock. Ive just had BAD experiences with M9's
Old October 16, 2012, 06:38 AM   #11
droptrd

I kinda have both. I have the 96A1 and the Glock 22. Im a big glock fan but I love my beretta. It is a great range gun and is still my main HD pistol. I like the decocking safety for HD - incase I have to set the pistol down. I feel better about someone in my family picking it up. Id go M9 for range and HD. Its a haus so carry is out. Also its a historical piece now.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Skadoosh

Quote:
insomni wrote:
Ive just had BAD experiences with M9's
Do tell.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:15 PM   #13
MikeGunz

I dont like m9s at all.. My opinion they just bring nothing to the table. Think it was my experiences in the Marines that made me dislike them. I do love glocks though cant go wrong with a 19 or 26. 17 is a little big if youre going to conceal carry though.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:39 PM   #14
TailGator

Both the Glock 17 and the Beretta 92/M9 are well designed, well built, reliable 9 mm pistols. Although there are exceptions, most people find them too big for carry and use them primarily for home defense and the range. The trigger and safety systems are vastly different, and may be the deciding factor.

If it matters to you, you might also consider that the Beretta is a beautiful pistol and the Glock, well, isn't. (Glockophiles, don't howl, I own and like both, but there is no comparison in aesthetics.)
Old October 16, 2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Skadoosh

Quote:
the Beretta is a beautiful pistol
Especially when the new 90-Two looks like this. What a beauty!

Old October 16, 2012, 02:28 PM   #16
ShipWreck

Beretta FTW!

Old October 16, 2012, 07:25 PM   #17
iMagUdspEllr

When the M9 is altered to not have a slide-mounted safety, a DA/SA trigger, or an exposed barrel... then pick the M9. Until then... Glock 17/19/26.

If you need DA/SA... get a FNX-9, FNP-9, Sig P226/9, HK USP/P30.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Crow Hunter

While I am a Glock-o-phile and that is the only Semi-auto handguns that I personally own anymore.

I have owned 2 Beretta 92s (Inox and blued) and 1 Taurus PT92 (copy of Beretta).

I liked them, a lot. For a home defense/range gun/open holster carry, they are VERY nice. Silky smooth and very accurate. The only gun that I have ever been more accurate with was a Walther P5, which has a similar lockup.

They are big however. So if you are thinking about concealed carry, you need to evaluate the size for yourself before committing.

The Glocks are smaller, even the 17 (I prefer the 19) but they aren't as refined and they aren't as accurate for me. But they are lighter, smaller and easier to work on.

Good luck.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:17 PM   #19
iraiam

As an owner of both, it would be hard for me to recommend one over the other, I like the Beretta because it will digest about anything you feed it, so will the Glock for that matter.

I find the M9 to be quicker on reloads, I suppose because the slide release is much easier to operate than the Glock. With the Glock, I have just trained myself to rack the slide after a new mag is slapped in and not to bother with the crappy slide release lever.

The slide on the Glock is easier to deal with because there is no safety on it, just grab it and rack it. With the Beretta I turn my wrist 90 degrees so I can grab onto the safety and rack the slide. Otherwise I have a tendency to put the safety on when I rack the slide, either pistol can be quickly reloaded without taking the muzzle off of the threat.

The trigger on the Glock vs DA/SA Beretta trigger, It's not an issue for me, I can understand how it would be for some though, maybe I'm just used to it, I don't even think I notice it, it's just second nature, and yes, I do sleep with my Beretta.

There are things about each that I like and don't like, I certainly would not feel handicapped by either pistol.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: stupid typos, added paragraph
Old October 16, 2012, 10:54 PM   #20
fun2shoot

I own both and they are both very good pieces. The glock is probable to fit most shooters hands as in my opinion most accurate shooters have a good size hand or combination of decent size and good muscular strong hands. The beretta you might want your hands to be well in my idea at least a little over 7 inches from the wrist to middle finger which will help you get a good grip on it and also ease the reach for flicking the safety on and off. Bigger handed people with a beretta are a plus at shooting it comftorably. Thats all I can think of now.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:08 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I've had more than one of each. I still have more than one of each.

Both good guns, but very different from each other. I'd get to a rental range and shoot them both to see which one you like best.
Old October 17, 2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Woody55

I've owned and shot both.

I found the M9 to be more accurate. But that might be me.

I like the Glock night sights. I don't know if you can get them on the M9 or how much they cost.

The M9 is more comfortable in my hand. But that's my hand and not your hand.

I think the M9 is much better looking.

They are both easy to field strip. For some reason, the Glock doesn't get as dirty. No idea why.

The biggest difference is the double action only way the Glock works as opposed to the decocker double action M9. The Glock is certainly simpler.

I had no reliability problems with either.
Old October 17, 2012, 04:38 PM   #23
Captain H

Woody55

"They are both easy to field strip. For some reason, the Glock doesn't get as dirty. No idea why"

LOL, very true. My Sig, Glock, H&K USP9, CZ75B and Hi-powers that I used to have as of nine months ago, cleaned up much easier than my Beretta 92FS. I am a stickler for cleanliness in my firearms since my army days and always find myself spending extra time scrubbing the barrel rails. Those nooks and cranies in the barrel lockup double the time as compared to my other pistols.

There are things such as the afformentioned cleaning and the complexity of changing some springs like the firingpin and spring that get a curseword out of me here and there, but I shoot the 92FS soo well. I am more accurate with it than the others and the hand filling grip really makes fast rapid fire strings very controllable. Last year I decided to downsize my collection of 9mm handguns to one fullsize and the Beretta won out. They are all in the same ballpark, but the Beretta won out due to how well I shoot it and the fact that I was more invested in it (magazines, parts, holsters....etc).

I do want another Glock 21. It is, IMHO, one of the best .45s out there.

The trigger pull is probably the reason some don't shoot the Glock as well even though the platform is very capable of equalling the others. Hickcock45's Glock videos on YouTube prove that it can perform just as good. just need to get used to the trigger pull is all (which isn't bad).

If I was starting over and was going to choose one to really concentrate on, i might choose the Glock 17 for it simplicity and ease of changing out worn parts.

Both are good choices so find a range and rent both like others have said.

Goodluck
Old October 17, 2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Calhoun123

Just to correct someone's earlier post - - the Beretta is not ALL steel. The frame is aluminum.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:13 PM   #25
10mm4ever

One was designed to be manufactured as cheaply as possible, the other was not.