The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1
bamaranger

F-TR class oops, what did it cost me?

So, I got an invite to at a F-TR match, 1000yds. (second 1000 yd match) My best Mid Range FTR scores previously had been shot w/ some Lapua brass that I had on hand, just enough for one stage out of 5 that particular weekend, , but the score difference seemed significantly enough better to justify buying enough Lapua to shoot an entire match.

So I plunked down the cash, and loaded up enough new .308 Lapua brass to take to the 1000 yd match held recently. Shot my worse scores ever. Conditions were hard, my inconsistency was maddening. I'm a rookie at 1000, but how much of my problem may have been caused by my ammo? Here's my observations and two questions:

1.)the new brass, unfired, measures -.003 on my RCBS precision mic headspace gauge. I resize my fired brass, back to +.002. Typically, when I set up to resize fired brass, I neck size only, using a full length die, or very lightly full length size back to +.002 if necessary, and usually, it is not. So the QUESTION: Did the .005 "slop" in my headspace dimensions from new, unfired brass, to minimally sized fired brass, likely cost me significant accuracy and further my probs at 1000 yds at the match?

2)I just loaded up the new brass by neck sizing, checking for case length, chamfering, and seating my old reliable load. I never did shoot the new brass prior the match. Pretty stupid in hind sight. Had I taken the new brass loads to the range and shot some groups, I would have known the answer to question 1 above. And eventually I will shoot and report back.
But till then, did the new, low headspace measurement new brass likely cost me points at 1000 yds, vs my minimally sized fired old brass loads?

What say you?