The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
DavidAGO

Ergonomics of reloading

Having now loaded a few rifle and handgun bullets after a 25 year layoff, I noticed something. I was 25 years younger then. Pulling down that lever three or four times for each cartridge was easier back then.

How do some of you have your bench and chair set up? I first had the chair at a comfortable height for the bench, but that made my neck hurt to bend over to check the scales. I then set the chair lower; better for the scales, but made my shoulder hurt pulling the lever on the Rockchucker press.

Where do you long-timers at this have your chair set for comfortable reloading?

David
Old November 18, 2008, 08:09 PM   #2
TEDDY

setting seating

I wiggle back and forth,course I am older 84 yrs so I move more.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
dmazur

I found that the Dillon "strong mount" works to elevate the press so you can see it without bending over, and it also seems to put the lever at a better height.

I liked it so much I built a similar mount for my Hornady 366 press. It similarly gets the lever at a better height, and it also permits putting a box under the press to catch the finished shells.

Both mounts have the same hole pattern, so I use a single location on the table. It only takes 4 bolts to switch from rifle/pistol to shotshell.

For all of you bifocal wearers, you don't want it too high, or you will be straining your neck to tilt your head back so the bifocals work.

I also use an adjustable office chair, so I can adjust the height of the chair so it "feels right". While it has rollers, the carpeting keeps it from scooting out from under me every time I pull the handle. If you have hard flooring instead of carpet, a chair with rollers might not be a good idea.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
P5 Guy

Throw all the powder charges and then to the press for bullets seating and crimps. Set stool accordingly.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:50 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I have a different routine for reloading; I FL size on the single stage and then load my ammo on the progressive unless I'm using long grained extruded powder, then each round is loaded on the SS. I set the press up so the reach is comfortable, and when my obese derriere is tired I take a break. The height of my bench doesn't change, so once I set my presses up, I'm good to go. I have been known to clamp the RCBS to the kitchen table from time to time and prime some rifle brass if I don't have a big batch to do however; it makes my wife feel better because I'm right there where she can see me instead of wondering where I might have gotten off to without permission.
Old November 18, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Sevens

I tried out my buddy's Rock Chucker-- a very fine press and I really like the way the lever toggles at the top of the ram. It's got a very solid build and it's smooth as silk, very nice press.

But you know what... you can't change the handle for the range you need to use it, which I find myself doing often with my Lee Classic Cast. When I'm doing easy stuff with small cases, like flaring 9 or .45, I have the ram up quite a way so I have a very short throw with the lever, and the lever stays high.

When I'm doing something like FL sizing rifle brass, I have it adjusted for a long throw with the power at the bottom and the ram at the top.

Can't do that with the Rock Chucker, and that's a real detraction of an otherwise fine press.

Having that lever in a comfortable range helps out with the ergos at my bench.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:40 PM   #7
rwilson452

I too use the Lee Classic Cast for all my rifle stuff. the adjustable lever arm is really nice. Big load of pistol stuff I do on my Loadmaster. although you can't adjust the length of the lever arm the angle is adjustable. I custom made my reloading bench to a height I like.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Casimer

My press is mounted low such that the arm is typically just below my sternum when the resistance peaks - so I'm above the press and pushing down through the last leg. The bench that it's mounted to is only about 2.5' high.

This is a pretty good set-up IMO as it allows you to use your weight to press down, and if a case gets stuck you can kick the arm up w/ your thigh - I'm kind of lazy
Old November 19, 2008, 01:27 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

I had my bench built to my prefered height. (I reload sitting, too.) I know that doesn't help your situation, and I have the same problem you do. However... that's one of the ways I solved the ergonomics problem. It takes care of my legs and keeps my back straight for the press height. The only bad part is working with the scale. I haven't gotten past the 'hunching' problem.

Putting the scale on an elevated platform would probably work, though.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Thirties

For best ergonomics don't use a chair. Either stand up to operate, or sit on a bench stool.

my humble opinion
Old November 19, 2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Ranger325

I don't know much about ergonomics. I have a Dillon SDB on a strong mount and reload standing and have not had any issues. I added additional plastic bins on the sides on the mount - one on the right for clean brass and one on the left for bullets (rather than buy the Dillon aluminum tray). This seems to reduce movement during the process.

Regards,
Old November 19, 2008, 12:44 PM   #12
BigJimP

My metallic press is a Dillon - and I use a strong mount to raise it up. The table top is cabinet height / and I use a "bar stool" / standing puts too much strain on my feel and back .... bar stool height is a good compromise.

On shotguns, I went to MEC hydraulic presses - so I operate the press with a foot pedal - vs pulling a handle. Here's a couple of photos of my setups - if it helps give you an idea.

Attachment 38478

Attachment 38479

Last edited by BigJimP; December 14, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old November 19, 2008, 02:49 PM   #13
CBP

My press is mounted fast to a steel office desk, this sets it at a good height for me. The scale is on another stand, L-shape arrangement, so it is totally isolated from the bumps when I operate the press. The stand is an old typewriter stand, then I took an old wooden box and set the scale on that. This way it is at eye level for me. I use an office swivel chair, so I can easily spin when checking the powder loads. The desk is nice because I load the drawers up with bullets, dies, powder, etc. Also, plenty of room to spread out on the top of the desk. You can pick up a desk and typewriter or printer stand at an office surplus or state surplus store pretty cheap. A milk crate with a piece of plywood on the top should put the scale at about the right height.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:25 PM   #14
dmickey

To avoid bending down to read the balance beam scale, I use an electronic scale/powder dispenser instead! I use the older model of the RCBS combo unit. I would upgrade to the newer, faster model but I keep waiting for the older unit to stop working!